L 2-1 vs Grimsby Town (H) - League Two - Sat 27th Aug, 3pm

They will be useless if they take the plastic top off first :joy:

2 Likes

And suddenly we entered the must win games territory. Last three league games were DLD, so winning will confirm we are serious about this season. So no pressure, but remembering about five subs allowed rule, win would be very nice. Better to run, than chase.

1 Like

I think someone will need to refresh MF’s memory on the day about that :wink:

Joking aside, when you work your whole life with max three subs, two more can be a little challenging.

1 Like

On the other hand a lot of managers don’t want to make all 5, too many at once can certainly kill the rhythm. It seems he would prefer to save the legs for changes between games.

When you have only 16, as he keeps on mentioning, and one is a keeper, i kinda get that. Especially with the like of Flynn Clarke being so disappointing. Although i have been frustrated sometimes with subs so far.

1 Like

Decisions come down to fine margins mate, i think sometimes we forget that in our eagerness to think we should be winning games 4-0 every week

1 Like

That’s another way to win a game. As everything it is a gamble, but how would you react, when the opponent brings five new attacking players for the last 10-15 mins? Sooner or later someone wins a game doing this magic and someone else won’t. Decisions, that separate good managers from the rest.

1 Like

Sometimes it makes it a mess sometimes it works. Like any other substitution i guess.

We certainly are a tired looking squad though, be interesting to see if he reverts back to his 352 side tomorrow.

1 Like

How can we look tired we are only 6 games in 8 if u count cup games

Unfortunately I won’t be there today (weekend in London).

Feel good about this one, 4-0 saddlers.

UTS

If we’re looking tired in august then. Heist knows what we’re gonna look like on a cold night in December

Without wishing to rake up too much old ground, replenishing only 20% of your outfield team when the opposition replenish 50% when the temperature is touching 100 degrees is a pretty decent way of knackering your team. Whilst they are professional athletes and will have decent recovery times, I suspect that they’d have all suffered fluid and weight loss well in excess of what is normal.

The start at Barrow was definitely a tired one.

I honestly believe the lack of subs against Stevenage cost us two points in that game and a point in the subsequent one.

Today will be interesting. Four league games without a win will definitely feel like a “business as usual” but a win feels like a really good start to the season.

I note that ticket sales in our end look quite a bit lower than for the first couple of league games. Probably quite a few factors playing in, not least the fact that our household bills are going through the roof. I hope the weather leads to a decent walk up and we top 5,000 with us at least matching their lot for noise and encouragement.

UTS

What’s all this looking tired stuff?
We seem to have loads more energy than last year.
In the games when it has been boiling hot, it isn’t really surprising that players are feeling it towards the end of the game.
I would be worried if they looked tired in the first half of the game, but it’s just not the case.

2 Likes

In all my years of watching football , I’ve never know a team be tired in August!!

Absolutely ridiculous :rofl:

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/vitalwalsall/status/1563207858501496834?s=21&t=HQthCKrpNud4uH1X5vXLiA

2 Likes

Looking forward to today’s game. Couldn’t go on Tuesday as I was at the Hippodrome for a play about the people of Wolverhampton. Weirdly, it was set in 19th century Paris.

1 Like

Agreed. Compare it to this time last year when Stephen Ward was chugging along after 30 minutes :smile:

1 Like

And that’s because you don’t understand workloads.

Players don’t get tired from playing x number of games. They could play one a week, every week, all year, and barely suffer from fatigue. It’s fixture pile up that creates fatigue, and I’m not sure that gives a shit which month if the year it is (never mind the hotest one in the football calendar) to be honest.

And (this is the part man in the stand never seems to get his head around) fatigue in football is relative to your opponents. You can be fit as a fiddle (and yes, in August), but if you don’t rotate (as we have) and other teams do you will naturally have higher levels of fatigue than your opponent. It doesn’t matter what month it is. It doesn’t matter how fit your players are or what their diet is. It’s relative to other teams.

iTs ONlY AuGUst is one of the most annoying tropes out there and shows a total misunderstanding of fitness levels.

3 Likes

Lol at this.

Rotation fine, but we shouldn’t be in a position where we need to rotate for a league game in August.

When the pitches get heavier fine, not yet. Best 11 plays.

Anyone know how much it costs to park on the club car park ?