L 2-1 vs Salford City (A) - League Two - Sat 26th March, 3pm

Our final game of March is an away trip to face Salford City at The Peninsula Stadium.

The hosts are managed by Gary Bowyer still, which I am slightly amazed at given their record with managers in recent years, and find themselves sitting 11th in League Two heading into the tie, with the slim hope of perhaps reaching the play-offs. I say slim as they are currently 8 points behind 7th place, albeit with two games in hand on those in the play-off positions.

Star player Brandon Thomas-Asante has scored 9 goals in 29 games so far this season, and seems to be heading on his way out of Salford, with a whole host of Championship and League One clubs after him this summer, including the likes of Cardiff City, Ipswich Town and Swansea City amongst others.

One other name in The Ammies squad list that surprised me to see was that of Theo Vassell who of course is an ex-Saddler that never played, as then manager Jon Whitney sent him on loan to Chester for the season, and then released him upon his return!

Heading into the game, Salford City’s last six games have ended with the following results:

12th Feb - Leyton Orient (A) - Won 2-0
26th Feb - Swindon Town (A) - Won 2-1
5th March - Forest Green Rovers (H) - Drew 1-1
12th March - Exeter City (A) - Drew 0-0
15th March - Rochdale (A) - Drew 1-1
19th March - Scunthorpe United (H) - Won 5-1

Now onto The Saddlers

Gaffer Michael Flynn will be looking to make it a seventh game unbeaten in this tie and will be hoping for a better performance and a reaction from the game at Harrogate Town last weekend, where we conceded a last minute equaliser.

It all seems quiet so far on the team news front, so to the best of my knowledge based on previous media comments from Flynn, it would seem that Zak Mills and Reece Devine are close to a first team return. Will this game be too soon for them to return? We will have to wait and see.

The starting XI will see at least one change, with goalkeeper Jack Rose handed the opportunity to start a league game for just the second time this season (ironically his only other game was against Salford too!), as regular Carl Rushworth is hoping to earn his first England Under 21 cap over the weekend.

I would suspect the starting XI may be otherwise unchanged for this game, with Conor Wilkinson a shoe-in following his recent hot spell in front of goal. Long may that continue.

Another decent away following will be had, with the initial allocation of over 500 tickets selling out, with another 525 tickets available for pay on the day at the ground. Which UTS’ers will be there? Any interesting plans before the game?

Finally, for those of you who aren’t going to the game, it is Non-League Day so try and head down to a local non-league game as they have some decent offers on for fans this weekend. I’m sure @Pedagogue can fill you in on the offer Rushall have.

For those going to the game in Salford, be loud and proud!

COME ON YOU REDS (or greens, or whites)

Salford City vs Walsall - Match Result
  • Salford City Win
  • Draw
  • Walsall Win

0 voters

Think we will up our game for this one ,After the last game plus a good weeks rest I would like to think we will come good .1-2 the saddlers

I’m going and paying on the day. At only £15 you can’t complain! Went there a few years when we took quite a lot. Can’t remember the score tbh but the meccano ground took a lot of stick as well as the number of home fans!
We havent got the best away form but hopeful of a decent performance against them!
UTS!

Vile club shocking ground with pathetically few proper fans and nowhere to drink or any public transport. Thank God taxis from Mcr are fairly cheap

4 Likes

We won 2-1 I think I had been on the Delirium though

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from elsewhere, what are everyone’s plans for the day/weekend? Lots of decent watering holes in the Manchester/Salford area - but sadly none around the ground itself.

And it’s a bugger for parking.

Not sure yet Andy, there’s only three of us going and we were planning to arrive around noon, park up and find a decent pub…any suggestions anyone?

Stay in Manchester.

There’s a few local estate boozers in Salford not far from the metro station I think too, but nothing special at all.

Probably a good call and catch the tram to the match :+1:

This was a decent pub, last time we went. 10-15 min walk to the ground.

2 Likes

The nearest Metro station is Heaton Park but if I recall correctly it’s about a half an hour walk away

1 Like

Three travelling from the North East and drinking In Prestwich, Foresters (Mark Smith’s and Nico’s local in the 80’s) and Red Lion (Fall Wings video 1983), then maybe onto The Star or maybe the Woodthorpe, the latter of which was the former residence of Sir Joseph Holt, also the scene of The Fall’s 1988 vid for Ghost in My House, and also hosted Mark Smith’s funeral do 4 years ago which ended up in a punch up.

4 Likes

The Friendship was decent when we went too, with good beer. Didn’t sample the food but it looked Ok, and they were happy for me to leave the car in their car park when I went to the game. Probably more like 20 mins walk though.

Two teams in decent form,for me I see a draw being played out.I personally want to see this season done as quick as possible then move on to next season with a lot more optimism and hopefully a playoff push Salford 1 Saddlers 1 for me.

There are a few pubs / bars in prestwich village which you can go into and the heqd down to the ground from there. You could go to the henry boddingtons which is at the corner of agecroft road / A666 and then 10 mins walk to the ground. Does food too. Alternatively there is the royal which is opposite Salford royal hospital if you come off the m62 / 602. About 5 mins in car from there.
If course, you can stay in Manchester and taxi out if you have trained it.
I’ll be playing golf in the morning at prestwich golf club and then walking down from there so a it easier for me!

1 Like

I’m already up here for work (timed it well :grin:) so leaving my car near the hotel and getting a bus from Shudehill Interchange (about 20-25 minutes journey but still a bit of a walk to the ground from the closest stop). Aiming to get off a couple of stops early at the Star to meet up with Geordie + 2 so may have a slightly longer end walk.

There are loads of pubs and bars to choose from in Manchester city centre - it just depends on which station you arrive at/area you decide to park, and what sort of beer you like and establishment to drink it in.

1 Like

Pay on the gate for me, seems to be plenty doing the same.

I can vouch for that, you stood next to me for a while :joy: :wink:

1 Like

708 pre-sold. Imagine our support if we were actually challenging! :clap:

4 Likes

Where are the missing 3? They said we’d been given 711 to start with … https://www.saddlers.co.uk/news/2022/march/tickets-for-salford-city-fixture-now-on-sale/

With pay on the gates, going to be over 800 packed into that meccano stand with portakabin bogs.