L 2-1 vs Swindon Town (H) - FA Cup Round 2 - Sat 4th Dec, 3pm

Apologies for the late preview, I’m working nights and then some after most days so it’s caught up with me!

Anyway, it’s only the SECOND ROUND OF THE FA CUP for our boys this weekend, as we take on a Swindon Town team from the same division, with hopes of drawing a glamour tie in Round Three for the winners.

Swindon Town

The Robins head into this game 4th In League Two, but with the interesting stats showing they have the 21st-best home record for points won, but they sit in 1st place for the amount of points away from home, still having not lost an away league game all season!

They are managed by Ben Garner whose only other managerial experience prior to taking the post in July 2021 was an unsuccessful 11-month spell with Bristol Rovers. Three players for Matt Taylor to take caution over, if fit and selected, are Jack Payne, Jonny Williams, and Harry McKirdy.

With it being a crammed fixture list at the moment, there have only been 3 league games in between their First and Second Round ties, so to sum those up, they have picked up 7 points from 9, beating Newport County (a) and Hartelpool United (h), whilst drawing with Harrogate Town (h).

Their FA Cup Round One tie was away at Crewe Alexandra, where they ran out comfortable 3-0 winners.

Onto The Saddlers now.

Matt Taylor heads into this tie having promised supporters he will pick the strongest available side to progress to Round Three. It will be interesting to see who makes that starting XI as all players appear to be fit for selection apart from the continued long lay-off for Rory Holden, who himself has made a return to the grass over the past couple of weeks.

Having changed the team for the last game out in the Papa John’s Trophy on Tuesday, who makes your ‘strongest’ starting XI, assuming the formation is 4-2-3-1? Does Emmanuel Osadebe make it, or does Liam Kinsella come in to allow Jack Earing to push further upfield? Let us know, it will be interesting to see how many different variations you lot come up with.

If you’re going let us know, and get some pictures in here tomorrow for us. Swindon are being backed by 2200 of their supporters, so there’s sure to be some noise about at least!

Fingers crossed for an inspired performance and a place in Round Three, where inevitably we will probably draw Millwall away…

Walsall vs Swindon Town - Match Result
  • Walsall Win
  • Draw / Replay
  • Swindon Town Win

0 voters

Walsall 5 Swindon 0 is my favourite game between these two teams. Waddington and Rees tore them apart down the wings, but Swindon gave it a right go, hit the woodwork at least twice iirc, and Ronnie Green made a couple of great saves.
I think going into the game they were top and we were second, can’t remember if we leapfrogged them.
At the end of the season we stayed up on Goal Difference. How Walsall is that? :joy:
The Buck scored a couple, and it snowed a bit, but not much.

The football that night, though, was a joy to watch. One of those games that sticks in the memory.

Edit; should have said, October 1981.

2 Likes

Possibly the most important game of the season so far.Win it and we can look forward to another cup game in January hopefully against a top tea or against a team who we can beat… Lose and all we are faced with is a long slog to the end of the season and a diminishing chance of being involved in the play offs. I think the importance of the game will be emphasised to the players and I think we will win.2-0 would be nice.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it just, would be an example for some of our younger viewers who have probably never seen us in the 3rd round of any cup competition.
Would also be good if we could even draw, get back to Swindon for another few thousand to attend at the balloon again!

Indeed, about time we had a good run in the F A Cuppa.

2 Likes

I do like the fa cup it’s mad to think how uninspiring this particular game is win it and we could get to Play Manchester Utd , Liverpool, arsenal , Chelsea, spurs, in the next round I’d like to go to any of those places or imagine them at home Ronaldo at bescot we’d sell more than 2000 if that happened

Anyone already making plans for the replay?

An early goal for us, totally outplaying them to create loads of other chances we’ll fail to put away to make it safe, a Swindon equaliser out of nothing in the 89th minute, then us hanging on like grim death for what feels like half an hour of injury time. You heard it here first!

1 Like

I thought they was scrapping replay’s in the fa cup this Year or is it just the latter stage’s

I’ve gone for a Swindon win after a hatful of saddlers missed chances Swindon score with their first attempt on target in the 92nd minute to progress and the website goes into full meltdown.

Walsall 0 - Swindon 2

Disaster for the Saddlers when in the 12th minute, Rushworth suffers an painful injury as an escaping Pomlett shirt button ricochets into his eye socket when coming for a cross, inadvertently spilling the ball into his own net.

Following this set-back, Walsall pepper the TV gantry with shots before Swindon put the game to bed via a worthy assist from Stephen Ward’s mobility scooter.

UTS meltdown to ensure along with :fire: :pray: :soccer: :trophy: laden player tweets

1 Like

Yeah it’s ages since we played in the third round of the FA Cup.

‘Checks notes’

January 2019. :clap:

4 Likes

It’s been (t)oolong.

2 Likes

Hope we get PG tips. Yorkshire second choice.

1 Like

If we get a pen tomorrow, I hope that Phillips leaves it to Miller

You’ve lost a day mate it’s only Thursday I’m guessing they just role into one(the days) when your ill with covid and bored shatless.

2 Likes

It aint down to covid it’s the Glenfiddich :joy: :wink:

2 Likes

Ah!! that actually makes more sense for Belph I’m guessing half a bottle of a single malt of some description sort of clouds your judgement and gives you a sense of what feckin day is it :joy:

2 Likes

Having a glass of Maker’s Mark for medicinal purposes

4 Likes

The 46 or the 101?

Nice and smooth