L 3-2 vs Salford City (H) - League Two - Sat 22nd April, 3pm

What El N said.

I think we need to push the boat out a little and get someone in who is more L1/Champ level (or who has been at that level like Cowley as an example) - in order to get out of this league.

In tandem… we need some clarity from Trivela about what the plan and philosophy is. Not abstract ideas, but along the lines of implementing a footballing plan, sporting director if needed, long term goals, style of football - so any new appointments can fit within an eco system of success - and not the other way around.

6 Likes

That’s correct , but I’m thinking where can we get more experience and knowledge than ROK working alongside someone like Sadler who clearly knows the game and the club.
At least they would hopefully have a bit more affinity for the club .
Yes I know that doesn’t count for much if you are crap at the job .
We’ve had so called proven managers in DC and Flynn it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to work.

1 Like

But is completely inexperienced as a manager. He’s barely experienced as a coach (and by the way part of the team Flynn had coaching these players that lack so much confidence).

And we’ve had rookie managers like Taylor that didn’t work. But that rookie manager took us a damn site closer to the non league than the experienced ones did.

Nothing garuntees that won’t happen, but if I’m gambling league status on a manager I’m going for one who’s actually been a manager and succeeded. There’s jobs for rookie managers, this isn’t it.

I think about what I saw today, and then I look at some of the managers out there at the moment, and it’s not a close contest.

Lots of good stuff in that , just personally I’m not convinced that a “name” would give us any more chance of getting out of this malaise than Sadler and ROK.
I really think there’s a big element of luck in appointing football managers, look at Wellens and Evans, I don’t believe either would have been welcomed with open arms by the majority of Walsall fans this time last year.

1 Like

Wellens isn’t luck. He’s a very sought after manager at this level. Indeed he was one of the managers I wanted here in one of the many manager searches in the last few years (maybe instead of Dutton?)

He’s had a few basket cases, relegation from League one with Oldham is hardly a disaster looking at their path since, and he’s not the only bloke to fall victim to the Salford merry go round, but his Swindon side were outstanding.

He was a sought after manager, but this time last year his stock was very low , but fair play to him he’s turned it round

Didn’t go and just watched the highlights. I’m not surprised we lost, nor even disappointed anymore but the crux of it is, we lost to 10 men at home. That is never acceptable.

Things we know from yesterday / still know

1. Sadler chats rubbish (this should be a red flag)
  2. we lost to ten men - most of this lot have no bottle the staff can’t change that
  3. our midfield is in big need of a shake up if a Centre Half steps in and shows them how it’s done
7 Likes

Conceding 2 goals against 10 men simply isn’t good enough at any level and yes the winners a deflected effort but the silver fox shouldn’t have even been anywhere near our half let alone in a position to have a crack.The only positive for me yesterday was Liam Gordon did what an actual wing back would do on many more occasions than he does and got a ball into the box for Matt to score from and that’s what Jamille does.He’s also completely wasted up there on his own when you pump long balls to him without someone next to him who can run in behind from flick ons or be available to pass to when he recieves a long ball and holds the play up.

3 Likes

Whether you think we improved as the first half went on or not I believe the stat at half time was 1 shot off target. Simply not good enough. In fact until they went down to ten men the only shot we had on target was from long range by Hutchinson that went down the keepers throat.

Scoring goals has been a perennial problem over a number of years, until we spend to resolve this we will continue to struggle, unless we are relying on the opposition being reduced to 10 men in every game which would be a unique plan.

As others have stated we should not be losing to 10 men, couldn’t believe it was one of their players sent off instead of one of ours😂 think I would like Rok to stay in some capacity but please not with Sadler, his post match interview was mind dumbing dull, he ain’t what we need.

I have not defended them. They are culpable, not least for the failure to recruit a manager who can take the club forward. What I have argued though is that some have allowed Flynn to get away scot-free. He turned out to be a rubbish boss. Some of the blind support for Flynn (on Vitals particularly) has been bordering on the yampy.

As for sacking the board, NOW, without any idea as to how to replace it sounds more like howling at the moon.

1 Like

Too much bad language in FL3 was the cause so I believe.:smile:

3 Likes

Good job ya dont sit next to me then

3 Likes

It’s not blind support. It’s understanding that after 8 managers in 8 years those with any brain cells realise the problems run much deeper and such start to look at the constants during this awful period for the club.

Stop being so literal, nobody means Pomlett to be sacked at 9.48am on Sunday morning. Just that they should be replaced by other people, as I’ve said many many times with fresh faces, fresh ideas etc. that’s not getting rid and not replacing them. I hope this helps :+1:

:100:

The football model is broken and they will blame it on the budget, and each season January comes and it all goes downhill and another manager is sacked.

If we can address pre season last minute loans with return clauses and reinvigorate the youth set up then it’ll go a long way to address the short term thinking and inevitable outcomes of the team.

Better style of play at least, but this team has no idea how to win a football match. We’d of lost comfortably were it not for the red card. I liked Mcentee in midfield comfortable on the ball and played some progressive passes.

Knowles and Hutchinson were poor. When trying to break down ten men it’s their job to make the openings, neither did much.

Wilkinson cupped his ear after scoring again and didn’t exactly look happy. Got a chip on his shoulder about something it seems. Showed his quality with the goal, one of the best strikers of the ball I’ve seen at this level, but frustrating in many other ways. Hard to know what to do with him,

I thought that was another poor performance yesterday, although we livened up after the red card.
At least we didn’t drag players off after about half an hour and we didn’t drag more off at half time.
We did seem to be trying to play a little more football and less Flynnball, but some of our passing was Dog and Duck Sunday morning standard.
I think Flynn has left us in a mess, poor recruitment over two windows and players devoid of confidence. Some of them aren’t great but are unable to reach even their modest levels of ability because they have been messed about so much and they look scared of the ball.
The match offered little in the way of encouragement for next season, but that doesn’t really signify, and a good summer of recruitment (we are due one!) can change everything.

Salford were an unpleasant team to watch, rolling around after minimal or even zero contact, then jumping to their feet to play on when they realise the referee is taking no notice. Good turn out from their fans though, a lot, lot more than I expected.

1 Like

Salford were performing the dark arts especially when they went down to 10 men but I always felt they had us at arms length with 11 v 11 and personally I thought they had another gear if we’d have equalised(before they went down to 10.)

1 Like

Yeah, that it isn’t all about him. Pissing about with it in the corner instead of just playing it simple led to the 2nd goal. Best of luck for the future Connor but you can pack your bags.

9 Likes