Labadie injured

Holden wilko labs all acl ?
Tomlin never to be seen again
Is it something we’re doing in the physio department signing injury prone players or injuries just crazy out of our control ?

I imagine it would cost a fortune to cover for players being out injured. Not sure if the club, the PFA or its pension fund covers the insurance payout for a career ending injury.

If it were strains or so on then yes, but ACL injuries aren’t really something a Physio can prevent. Especially when it is caused by ploughing into an oppo player.

3 Likes

Although it might be argued that he is at least partly responsible, I believe it would count as a work related injury under employment law. That would give him some protection from the club simply releasing him.

Many employers take out Permanent Health Insurance policies to cover all their staff in the event of long term absence due to ill health - the PHI provider paying up at least a portion of their salaries while they remain off work (after a certain qualification period, during which the employer/statutory sick pay would pick up the tab). Would be a no brainer for a football club to do this too given the risk of serious injury to players, although the premiums might be higher than for other industries as there is more chance of it being invoked.

What a waste of money.

1 Like

I was under the impression that, in the EPL & EFL, the wages of long-term injured players, such as Holden, Wilkinson and Labadie, are covered by insurance.

So hes done his ACL… how long ago do you reckon the photos with the shirts were done then?? Also apart feom the wage he takes i dont think he will be missed… hope his recovery goes well but he has been poor this season

Photos will have been done weeks ago, the kits get finalised around xmas kinda time

Another blow if not to team so much but to budget if the players are not insured. We don’t have much luck with injuries do we.

We don’t have much luck with players full stop, still that’s what you get when shopping in Poundland.

He’s been annoying and poor this season but I wouldn’t wish a bad injury on anyone. I was hoping that if he stayed next season we would see a much improved player under MF, but alas, not until the second half of the season at least, it would appear.
Oh well, let’s hope Conor is fit for the autumn onwards, Joss by January, and fingers crossed Rory can make a comeback too. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I think you are making the usual mistake of equating low cost with low quality. Poundland sell quite a lot of branded products of exactly the same quality that other retailers do, just at a lower price. And paying more doesn’t always mean that what you get isn’t tat.

3 Likes

Makris Economics.

10 Likes

Yes, given his age and experience, and assuming that it’s not a career ending injury, it would make sense for him to concentrate on football on his return, rather than the destructive and seemingly self-destructive manner that he has adopted in his time with us thus far. His style would have been “fine” in the “good old days”, but with (foul) tackles now usually correctly called out in the current game, it’s difficult to see how his approach benefits the team.

1 Like

The less said about that joke of a deal the better nothing to see there at all :thinking:

1 Like

A neighbour/friends son was on our books (made the first team squad but never got on the pitch). When he did his ACL playing a youth FA cup game the club gave him another 12 month contract whilst he recovered.

3 Likes

I think we treated Carlos Garrocha well about 20 or so years back. If I remember correctly, he broke his leg and we extended his contract to cover his convalescence. He had made little contribution to us playing wise and hadn’t looked good enough, but it was good that we treated him decently.
I hope I’m not misremembering, if I am then please let me know.

1 Like

Yes you’re right. He made little contribution to us playing wise. :wink:

1 Like

Let’s hope so…

We’re not having the best of luck with injuries, we have three key players out who were probably under consideration to start in August. I can’t remember the last time we had so many players out with basically the same knee injury.
Being honest, I would release Holden and Ladabie. I don’t think Rory will come back the same player as he was and Josh has performed way below expectations. Perry can come in as a defensive mid with Earring in a more, and better suited, imho, attacking role.
I know this has thrown a wrench into MF’s plans, but it will be a test of his management skills.