Labadie injured

Four if you count Tomlin. Yes he was only on a short term contract, but I think the expectation was he’d be part of the squad next season.

Bad news and bad injury. Speedy recovery, I hope you return soon.

Quote from Flynn “The one thing I’ll say is that we’ll have a good team in January – by the time he and Conor come back. It’s a kick in the teeth and again, it could affect what we’re trying to do (in the summer) as there’s two wages that are out of the equation.”

1 Like

I disagree, surely even Flynn knew it was a punt coaxing him out of what was essentially, retirement. I’m sure I read somehwre Tomlin said he was retired on his sofa anyway. Not sure if there is enough money to have him now regardless.

Still only 33 though so who knows.

What shite luck we’ve had recently. One mans loss is anothers gain though.

Will need to show some savvy in the loan market.

I think I remember that he was signed on a short deal to ensure staying in the league and replace Holden at that time. Staying for the next season? It was more in supporters’ plans, not club plans.

Tomlin has shown flashes of what he can do. It would have been nice to see a fit Lee Tomlin, though I’m not sure he’s in Flynn’s long term plans for next season.

In any other industry if you are a contractor, which players are, you don’t get paid at all if you are sick and it’s up to you as the contractor to pay for your own insurance to cover yourself for that. No idea how it works in football really, would be interested to know, as in definitely how it works as opposed to how people think it works.

I bet it’s an expense to offset tax though

I don’t think footballers are contractors though- surely they’re employees of the Club and as such their earnings from their clubs are subject to PAYE/ Class 1 NIC. If they do any other work, say for Sky, the income from that will be assessed as a self employment but not their club salaries.
Like any of us they’re entitled to take out whatever extra insurances they want, but I would imagine that the fact that they are employees would give them at least some protection against loss of earnings from an injury sustained at work.

2 Likes

Spot on

Footballers in England are entitles to 18 months full pay, although I do not know if that counts if the contract ends before then. What the club pays may depend on what insurance they have, if any. To have 3/4 players out for long term injuries is unusual to say the least.