Leigh Pomlett - a credit to the town and club

8 Likes

Agreed GREGā€¦I think we have a good bloke in charge.

2 Likes

He didnā€™t say anything for a few weeks though :man_shrugging:t2:

10 Likes

I couldnā€™t agree more Greg ,you would never see bonser making an appearance and getting the club involved for a worthy cause,Heā€™s trying to bring the club and town together so fair play to him.

2 Likes

Forget all the daft conspiracy theories and people saying something isnā€™t right. Leigh clearly has the club and town at heart.

4 Likes

Fantastic work. Walsall FC is surely bigger than just the football team on a Saturday, reconnecting with the community is crucial for our Club to prosper and to see the guy at the very top showing that commitment is very refreshing.

3 Likes

Fantastic.

More club related by itā€™s worth nothing he also invited all 1888 suite season ticket owners to dinner with him as a thank you for their continued support.

But obviously nOtHinGs cHaNgED bOnSeR iN aLl BuT nAmE

6 Likes

Thinking back did anyone ever see Bonser appearing in public?
Or indeed have his photograph shown doing good deeds by, or for the club?
The ā€˜sort ofā€™ new guy is indeed a breath of fresh air to the club and the town.

2 Likes

I thought this at half time on Saturday. Our Chairman being applauded on to the pitch and making a public presentation to recognise the long service of a member of staff, itā€™s completely new territory.

4 Likes

Cool. Hope he signs the players we need in Jan.

3 Likes

Being a bit pedantic but it will be DC signing them not LP - he will just be providing the budget needed (well hopefully he will!)

Okay Iā€™ll bite.

With what money exactly?? We are still paying our landlord!

Give it a rest.

1 Like

No need to bite, DC has already confirmed there is money left over :+1:

Iā€™m sure Pomlett didnā€™t think it was a cheap job when he took on this rebuild. Weā€™ve been paying our landlord for years, turning a profit, and, supposedly, reinvesting it 50/50 into the club. Iā€™m not sure why it means we would be skint now.

Pedantic and wrong. Pomlett has been through this. Clarke gives him names, Pomlett tries to sign them. Like every football club:

ā€œDarrell hasnā€™t given me a name yet I havenā€™t been able to getā€ - Pomlett

Pedantic but not necessarily wrong ā€¦ if you listen to what he actually said in that press conference rather than misquoting a prĆ©cised transcript, it was ā€œweā€ not ā€œIā€ (and I would assume that he was using ā€œweā€ to mean the club a whole not just him and DC as a pair) - as far as I am aware, LP has never claimed to sign the players himself!!!

And before anyone out there drags up that we certainly have missed out on some names DC was interested in - LP was making that statement shortly after he was announced as our new chairman at the end of July, so was only speaking of events up to that point not making a promise that it was always be the case (to be fair, DC had signed 14 players by the time LP said this so it may have appeared like that to some people).

5 Likes

No actually Iā€™m sure you are right, the chairman probably isnā€™t in charge of things like spending thousands on players ā€¦

Misquoting? You can listen to that quote in his chat with Masi. But if we are going to argue this much about I or we then Iā€™d suggest youā€™ve taken pedantry to a new level. He clearly meant himself. If it was ā€œweā€ he meant the club. And he owns the club. Jesus Christ.

It was me who mentioned something not be right. I have absolutely nothing against LP and things like this I really support.

My only worry is Bonser , he still weighing heavily on the club.

No criticism just a genuine concern!

What a man

3 Likes

Your original statement was that you hoped that ā€œheā€ (the implication being it was LP you were referring to as this thread is specifically about him - if you meant someone else then I apologise for getting my wires crossed) would sign the players we need in January. My reply (a bit tongue in cheek - but I flagged I was being pedantic) was making the point that it is DC who does the signing (at least the identification and photo op when getting the players signature on a contract, if not the actual negotiations themselves), and that LP provides the budget - which in itself acknowledges that he is in charge of things like spending thousands on players which your last reply insinuates I am denying. I very much doubt he actually sits in on contract negotiations himself, and he also said in the press conference that he will not get involved in the footballing side himself, presumably leaving it to DC and his backroom team to do all this, so in that respect he does NOT sign players!!!

To be absolutely clear - DC will identify the players that he (DC NOT LP) thinks we need. And then we (as in Walsall FC) will attempt to sign them - hopefully with the backing of LP providing a budget that makes it possible (although not guaranteed as money is not always the only factor in these things).

When you tell other people to read your posts carefully and not misquote or extrapolate false conclusions, then you would do well to heed your own advice before you do the same yourself!!

BTW What interview with Masi are you talking about as it was the open press conference on the 31st July where he said it - Masi was present and the printed quote in the E&S is definitely ā€œweā€ which matches the words you can hear him speak.

Getting back to the original theme of this thread - Pomlett comes over as a genuine person in all aspects, and Iā€™ve not seen or heard anything yet that doesnā€™t make me happy he is our chairman. Iā€™m not going to go off him if we donā€™t achieve promotion at the first attempt - heā€™s already asked fans to be patient (there are 23 other teams in this division who all have the same ambition and, by definition, 20 of them will fail to realise it!)

Fair play @el_nombre. Arguing on a thread about an Acorns Charity donation takes some doing, but youā€™re excelling againā€¦

6 Likes