Leyton Orient (H), New Year's Day, 3pm

“Those home fires burn, scorching a hole through me.
And I, am welcome no more"

- Keep the Home Fires Burning, The Bluetones (2002)

Leyton Orient

Currently in 17th, Orient are a single place and a single point below the Saddlers. Like Sunday’s visitors Carlisle they arrive at Bescot having won just once in their last 10 league games despite drawing a fair few of late. Think I can see a pattern forming…

Despite their recent run of poor form the Londoners have been far stronger on their travels this season with an away record of W4 D4 L4 F17 A19, so they will certainly feel they stand a chance against a Walsall side that has the worst home record in the fourth tier.

Josh Wright is their leading scorer with 7 goals (and one assist), closely followed by Jordan Maguire-Drew (6 goals, 3 assists) and Connor Wilkinson (4 goals, 3 assists).

Recent League Form

Dec 07 Oldham (A) Drew 1-1
Dec 14 Bradford (A) Drew 0-0
Dec 21 Cambridge (A) Won 3-2
Dec 26 Colchester (H) Lost 3-1
Dec 29 Newport (A) Drew 0-0

Previous Meeting

We last hosted Orient on 28th February 2015. The relegation threatened O’s won 2-0, with quick-fire second half goals from Ryan Hedges (56’) and Chris Dagnall (59’). This game saw Walsall return to league action following a historic first Wembley appearance in the Football League Trophy Final.

Played for Both

Tipton-born forward Joe Mayo quit his accounting job to join Walsall from Dudley Town in 1972, but left after only a handful of appearances to join West Brom (guess things didn’t add up…). He made 72 appearances for the Baggies before moving to Orient in a transfer deal that saw Laurie Cunningham go the other way. Mayo went on to play 155 games for the Londoners, scoring 36 goals.

Other than that - Dean Smith, Adam Chambers, Jason Demetriou, Jabo Ibehre, Marc Laird, Peter Till…

Prediction

It’s hard to predict a home win at the moment. Stevenage, Macclesfield and Carlisle have all arrived at Bescot in the past month struggling for form only to come away with a result, so there’s no reason to feel an Orient team with a decent away record wont do the same.

1-1

Match Poll

• Walsall Win
  • Draw
  • Orient Win

0 voters

2 Likes

Hearing DC interview after the Carlisle game , no one better give less than their absolute very best to win this

1 Like

Just don’t create many good chances, but score one goal more than opponent, pretty please. Even one very bad will do the trick.

Some of them might be thinking how dare you call me weak minded and what a ■■■■■ our manager is and not bother performing for him works both ways.We need a win at home desperately so here’s hoping they play the way you suggested mate I’ll go 2-1 to the mighty saddlers at the fortress bescot.

Not sure about the score buddy , but fuck me you’re way off the mark with the other comments …:grinning:

3 Likes

I think i said we had turned a corner in my last prediction, well i think we did but we hit a bus :grin: i would think that he will pick the team that won at Scunthorpe, but i still don’t think we will lose, 0-1 for me

1 Like

2-2 with an unusually low crowd for a New Year’s Day game of 4375.

I just think it’s one of those big long corners and were not quite all the way round yet .

Is that better Mucka …:wink::+1:

1 Like

I was taking the piss :rofl:

1 Like

What with all of it …:wink:

I feel confident we’ll get all 3 points now this game or I won’t be listening to DC after match comments …we may need to call an ambulance

1 Like

We will win this…2-0 …we surely cannot go on missing chances. The first goal will be vital though.

3 Likes

Carlisle’s defeat and post match comments from Clarke made it feel like we’d taken one step forward then gone two steps back so I’m going for a defeat here, can see another small winless run beginning as Clarke tinkers with the lot again.

Walsall 0-2 Orient.

Landing from china at 11am. Game at 3. Looking forward to giving them some after how they treated us at their place.

Ive lost track of time while in the wilderness. What season ticket number is this game?

2 Likes

13…is that an omen I wonder?

1 Like

2-0 to the Super Saddlers. Early goal is key, score first and we will be absolutely fine but if we concede first or if it stays 0-0 then the crowd get edgy and that translates to the players.

1 Like

I think the players are like most of the fans now,they’ve totally lost confidence in themselves and the manager when it comes to winning at home.

Rose
Facey Scarr Sadler Pring
Kinsella Guthrie Bates McDonald
Lavery Gordon

Can see him going back to the team that he pretty much played against Scunthorpe, dropping Roberts after Sunday, Pring in for Mollett, Scarr back in for Clarke, Kinsella back in for Holden.

1 Like

Like this team. Roberts need dropping

1 Like

0-0 to add to the boring dross offered so far under the idiot Clarke.

2 Likes