Liam Bennett Signs

Get the feeling liam might be pretty dejected tonight. Was getting regular game time and was on a great run with us (aside from Stockport game). Possibly a toxic atmosphere at Cambridge as they drift down the league and he comes back to a hammering.

Hes had a nightmare i think. Rated 5.8.

Awful game for Liam to be thrown into :man_facepalming:

Cambridge weā€™re as awful as Sheffield weā€™re good.

It was men against boys but to be fair it was effectively a championship side playing against a league 2 side. I would suggest there are better sides in league 2 than Cambridge.

In respect of Liam, yes he really struggled. Wasnā€™t helped by the gulf in class but he also found out that much of what he got away with with us, he wasnā€™t getting away with against a side like Sheff Wed.

He was already struggling when he gave away the penalty. Caught terribly out of position on the wrong side, (Something heā€™s got away with countless times in league 2) and clumsily ran into the back of the player.

It looked like Cambridge players really didnā€™t trust him in possession and turned down way too many passing options to him.

He was actually very lucky not to have given away a second penalty and the subsequent red card when he dragged a player down but the referee was caught wrong side and missed it.

Btw this doesnā€™t fill me with any pleasure but it did confirm much of what Iā€™ve seen of him for us. He will definitely improve and he will have far easier games to play than a rampant Sheff Wed, but it has to be said he was quite brutally found out by the many nuances of league 1 / championship players technical ability and physicality.

1 Like

Can we have him back

And yes I watched the entire game.

Did he play in a back 4 or a 5? Livescore had him in a back 4, not sure heā€™s suited to that role tbh especially a jump up a level too

Yes it was a back 4 and I agree that didnā€™t suit him and it looked like he struggled with the distances between centre backs and full back.

1 Like

Im not going to go off topic and honestly do t want to reignite an issue but to just clarify a couple of things that I couldnā€™t respond to beforeā€¦.

Iā€™ve been pretty consistent with my thoughts on Knowles. I always felt it was his speed, endeavor, enthusiasm and directness that were his strengths not his technical ability.

I stated from the off that he didnā€™t have the technical ability to play as a 10 or a CM. In fact I was one of the first to say, and I was quoted on it by others, that if he was to play then it should be as a forward. More recently I repeatedly went against the narrative and said heā€™d be a replacement for Bennet and that as an attacking threat weā€™d be stronger for itā€¦.I said that weeks ago.

I listed the games Iā€™ve been to recently. Iā€™m in double figures of live games and watch the rest on ifollow.

Iā€™m not going to substantiate this. Itā€™s not something I need to prove.

Anyway apologies, Iā€™m not going off topic and Iā€™m not going to carry this on.

Also apologies to those offended or angry previously. It really wasnā€™t my intention. Thatā€™s all I have to say.

1 Like

You are.

You have.

7 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Reading Cambridgeā€™s forum, they donā€™t seem critical of Bennett. They were pleased with his crossing of the ball and felt the penalty was soft.

1 Like

Knowles imo will be fine as a swap for bennett.
Said for ages knowles is a poor striker at best, it just isnā€™t his position. Like putting Holden on the wing or monthe at left back
Knowles needs the ball at his feet to drive at players and create space .
He is much more suited to rwb or rw
He will be fine if we donā€™t cover bennet however we will defo need a new striker to cover for knowles there

2 Likes

Was that when you was the world cup with Gareth, the ones you missed live

Yeah genius :clap:

Ooo er, Liam has given away a penalty for Cambridge at Sheff Wed

Very soft, bulky striker blown over by Liam.

1 Like

Itā€™s his first game in a league above when heā€™s having to re-adjust to a system /players he hasnā€™t played with for 5 months. Now is not the time to say I told you so letā€™s see how he fares by end of season

I thanked him personally on twitter, and I applauded him and shouted his name when he walked around the field after the final whistle after he got subbed off against stockport - I took that to mean he knew he was on his way back to Cambridge and wanted to applaud the fans.

2 Likes

My friend was at the game & says Bennett did ok, apart from the pen.
He went with a Sheff Wed friend from Hull so I daresay one of them was much happier on the drive home.