Liam Roberts departs

I wish the lad well.He always did his best and being a local lad I am in one way sad to see him go but he needed a new start. I think we have someone in mind to be our No1 goalie and probably someone experienced. This rebuilding gets more interesting by the day.

11 Likes

Canā€™t knock the lad as he genuinely cared and always gave his best. Heā€™s just not good enough for this level and as everyone else has said, heā€™s not improved at all. The fact that our ā€˜Number 1ā€™ was in and out of the side so often speaks volumes. Heā€™s a decent shot stopper but youā€™ve got to be far more than that nowadays

1 Like

And just to confound things he has moved UP a level :laughing:

2 Likes

Heard the deal almost fell through when he dropped the pen.

8 Likes

hope we can get someone between the sticks who is reliable and consistent. A good keeper at this level can be worth 10 to 20 points a season. JW certainly was at 3rd tier level, as was Clayton Ince in 2007. Suspect that the new management have a view on what they want and who they want.

2 Likes

Seen a few claiming he is a good shot stopper. I will just refer you to the Newport and Port Vale goals we conceded last season. A good shot stopper doesnt concede those goals. Shocking goal keeper. Maybe a nice guy and a local lad but this is football. Obvious with the team building so far Taylor wants a strong spine to the team. Be interesting to see who we get

2 Likes

That hadnā€™t even occurred to me. Maybe heā€™s been signed for the kids penalty shootouts at half time? Something else heā€™s got a shocking record at incidentally!

1 Like

I thought Northampton had joined us in the Fourth Division

3 Likes

They would have been better signing Sumo :grin: :wink:

1 Like

Northampton got relegated and join us next season in league 2 chunk

1 Like

Nope you are correct mate they did get relegated.

Just further convinces me that this management team know what they are doing

I was worried that they wanted to keep him

Like others have said he was never a professional keeper

Pleased heā€™s in goal for a competitor

1 Like

I might be wrong, but it looks as if the new club management has engineered a very pragmatic solution to the issue of an inherited contracted player who may well have not been offered a new deal otherwise.

He also had games like Stevenage away when he was one man wall and earned a very good point with 10 men.

Can remember Salford away aswell the previous year when he made incredible save in last minute that won the game:

(8.48)

Simply a magnificent save at any level, behind the goal camera shows it so well.That said he did have issues shifting his feet at times so many low shots like that beat him too often and think the team being poor defending set pieces last few seasons was also due to lots of indecision from him so really right time to move him on.

2 Likes

Then when he had to face the pen, he dived down too slowly to get it.

He did his fist pump at the end when he finished signing the contract aswell.

2 Likes

Did he ever save a penalty?

Seemed to always be 20 seconds too late and dive while we are kicking off again

1 Like

Good luck & Goodbye

4 Likes

Meh, thought too much of the budget was being spent on two ā€œfirst choice keepersā€ to be honest and preferred Roseā€™s stability to Robertsā€™ wonder saves.

Hope we get in a cheap back up and use the funds elsewhere.

Iā€™ve said several times over neither Rose or Roberts is a keeper that will win us promotion

Great news

3 Likes

Sorry but the goalkeeper is THE most important player on the pitch ,
Cheap back up , sorry but that doesnā€™t work .

3 Likes