Luton Town (A) 20th October, 3pm

"A banner, with the strange device,
Excelsior!"

(Longfellow)

Dean Keates and his squad find themselves in the unusual position of being below the play-off zone, thanks to Accrington Stanley and Doncaster Rovers sneakily winning during our enforced absence. A win at Kenilworth Road would probably propel us back into the play-off mix, as Accrington have what looks like a tough fixture at Peterborough United. However, Luton have been improving since their shaky start to the season (their first 3 games were against Portsmouth, Sunderland and Peterborough), and theyā€™re only 3 points and 3 places below us in League One - their current form looks like this:-

Sep 15 Bristol Rovers (H) Won 1-0
Sep 22 Blackpool (A) Drew 0-0
Sep 29 Charlton Athletic (H) Drew 2-2
Oct 2 Oxford United (A) Won 1-2
Oct 6 Scunthorpe United (H) Won 3-2
Oct 13 Barnsley (A) Lost 3-2

There is, of course, a Walsall connection with Luton Town in the shape of the manager whose win percentage (54.2%) for Luton is the highest in the clubā€™s history. That man? Richard Money.

The weekā€™s break, coupled with the much-changed side against Middlesbroughā€™s U-21 team, will have given Dean Keates much to consider when looking to extend our unbeaten away record. Hopefully Morgan Ferrier will be back to full fitness after limping off at half time at Bristol Rovers, and Andy Cook will be encouraged by his goal against 'Boro. Our ability to find the net may be even more important than usual, because Lutonā€™s scoring record (19 goals so far) makes a Saddlersā€™ clean sheet a bit doubtful - fortunately their defence is occasionally leaky, with 18 goals conceded (compared to our 12).

Prediction? Letā€™s just see if we can maintain the ā€œ0ā€ in the away losses column - I would be happy with a 1-1 draw from this one, with another Andy Cook piledriver, or perhaps a Kieron Morris 96th minute equaliser?

UTS

2 Likes

My first visit to Kenilworth rd. For some reason this is all-ticket, though donā€™t know whether this is like the all-ticket games at Sheffield United and you can get them on the day.
1.0 win Leahy.

A tough 2-2 in my view. This game and the Southend game on Tuesday are real tests of our away form. 2 draws would be good results . Thanks WELSH for another excellent post.

1 Like

A tougher fixture than I first expected. Iā€™d definitely take a draw

Anyone see the rubbish on Walsall Fans Have Your Say?

ā€œQuestion Iā€™m always interested in the answer to ā€¦
Weā€™ve got two tough away games coming up, would you rather ā€¦
Win one & lose one ā€¦ 3 points but we lose our unbeaten away record :thinking:
Or draw both ā€¦ only 2 points but still unbeaten :thinking:ā€

What planet are these people on to ask such a ridiculous question!?

Anyway, Iā€™d take a draw. 1-1

1 Like

The most difficult game since Barnsley (a) IMO. They have the best home record in the division and itā€™s a horrible place to go. Real test of our bastardry credentials, draw would be a fantastic result.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen more ridiculous questions on UTSā€¦:grin:

Tough game this, I think we will lose, but I hope we get something, fingers crossed.

My experience is that they sell out most home games so guess they can always re-allocate any of our unsold.

The capacity of Kenilworth Road since it became all-seater is 10,356. This compares with their record attendance of 30,069 for a cup tie against Blackpool in 1959.

Their most recent home game (vs. Scunthorpe Utd) had a gate of 8.682, so practically full !!

Iā€™ve got my ticket!:grinning:

Will be getting my ticket tomorrow.

Behind the goal used to be all away fans but with their resurgence in recent times home fans share half of it so thatā€™s why itā€™s all ticket as lower away followings and they can obviously shift the netting across.

I agree with most on here, they are a very decent side so would be happy with a draw from this. Played well at Barnsley and were 6 unbeaten previously. Their matches tend to be high scoring so hopefully Ferrier will get some space to do damage like at Oxford.

1 Like

Excellent post as always fella! Much appreciated by most of us readers Iā€™m sure.

Fancy us to win 2-1 after the international break.

Come on Walsall.

Most notably ā€˜Helo, wat your favrit film?ā€™

Tough game. Head says 3-1, but Iā€™m not top of the prediction league. A bishop Desmond would suit me, especially if itā€™s a 94th minute equaliser to grab a point.

1 Like

Good side at home will be happy to get the draw our away run has to end sometime just hope it goes on a bit longer I am really enjoying watching away and not coming back with last seasons feeling of lack of hope.

Never mind the scoreā€¦

Will DD wave?

1 Like

He was a miserable bastard when he was our manager so no i donā€™t think so :rofl: deserves a round of applause though.

Probably would deserve one if he were actually at Luton :wink: Unless heā€™s in a role Iā€™m unaware of?!

2 Likes

to be honest thatā€™s what i thought? :smile: the last team he managed was solihull moors.

My apologies - I didnā€™t make it clear in the preview ā€¦ he was manager from 2009 to 2011. But his win percentage still stands as a record for the Hatters.

2 Likes