Matt Taylor: Walsall at risk of losing loan stars

He’s already been at Bradford and barely played.

I think he’ll only go back if a league one club come in for him. Isn’t his Barnsley contract up end of the season so think was a bit of last chance saloon loan for him and Barnsley to get him in shop window so that’s a 50/50 one for me.

Serious questions about Pomlett if Phillips goes back in January and Mayo is recalled by Mansfield and sold eventually to someone else as those two are young, decent but raw and the sort it makes sense to eventually get here permanently as happened with Rory Holden of course who originally came in on loan.

We have an urgent need to start growing our own or at least taking the seedlings from local clubs again.

Which is why all of those roles being advertised is good news. But that investment will take years to produce first team players.

In the meantime we are left with muddling through. I hope that @Jamessaddler is right and this is Taylor trying to manage Fullerton and Leigh. Rushworth will be out of our league but we should be curating a strategy for keeping Menayese, Philips and Miller.

6 Likes

Phillips is coming on really well and fast becoming one of our best players.

4 Likes

I agree. I’m equally impressed with Earing. Who is ours!!!

4 Likes

Think we’ll lose Rushworth, which is a failure of our season. Had we been where the board expected/wanted us to be then I reckon he’d be happy to stick around. Miller seems happy so we’ll probably keep him. Not overly fussed on the rest.

It’s quite predictable and boring though.

That goal on Saturday was special. Really special. Couldn’t believe it.

1 Like

Hmm he did take his goal well but I thought he didn’t contribute much at all otherwise and was pretty happy to see Wilkinson come on in his place. I think he’s the much better of the two in that position and Phillips will be back up once he’s back up and running.

I’ve been waiting and still am waiting to see how we are in a better position than the teams that “borrowed” money to survive and will “have to pay it back” when we won’t.

1 Like

That was my take on it - not that there is some imminent threat of any of the loanees actually going back early.

When we brought in at least the earlier ones I recall it being stated that we had protected ourselves with full-season long loan agreements with “no recall” clauses so that we wouldn’t have the usual January problem of losing any that had become key players (wasn’t there even talk of money changing hands to guarantee this?) I doubt if even a no recall would be cast iron though - if the parent club has an unanticipated injury crisis or is made an offer of big bucks by a 3rd party then I’m sure there would be leeway for them to renege on the handshake.

So rather than MT coming out and making a statement about one or more of the 5 other clubs making real noises about recalls, he was probably asked by someone to clarify the position of all the loanees in general in terms of whether they could be recalled or not - the answer being that this is always a possibility with a loan player (same as for every loan at every club).

MT’s further comment about players having minds of their own suggests that a player might even argue against a recall by their parent club if they were happy where they are and want to see out the full term. I imagine that likewise if they weren’t happy they might want to go back early and would be saying so.

All 5 of our loans are getting serious game time (more so than some of our own squad players) and don’t appear to be showing any signs of unhappiness. I’m not saying that all of them will be here all the way to May but I’m not expecting a story about any of them leaving in the immediate future.

2 Likes

Down to Fullarton that mate.

1 Like

Been saying that myself Wilko offers more.

If that were the case it’s VERY rare.

I haven’t seen any stats, but I reckon the main reason that parent clubs recall loan players is because they’re not getting enough playing time, or they’re being played out of position. I don’t think that could be said about us this season.
Young players are sent out on loan to play games, to learn and to improve. Again I think our loanees are ticking most if not all of these boxes. Unless any of the parent clubs are really strapped for cash, (and maybe Barnsley and Burton might fall into that category) I can’t see any reason for the loans to be prematurely shortened because the players will be worth more after a full season.
Rushworth is a different case- I reckon he’s a long term prospect at Brighton and is not up for sale. He is getting games, he is getting experience but whether we have the coaching staff to improve him is a different matter.

1 Like

I didn’t go to game mate but thanks for that info.

1 Like

How many League goals have been scored this season by players actually contracted to the club. I can only think of a handful.

He wasn’t bad, don’t get me wrong. He took the goal really well but then didn’t really effect the game much after. Taylor got his subs absolutely bang on I thought.

5 out of 13

1 Like

I thought we were told the loans were season long with no recall.

I can’t find anything that says that and I’d be amazed if it were the case. They’re all on season long deals but that doesn’t mean they can’t be recalled.

1 Like