Max Melbourne

Wish we had signed him.

I thought we had? That’s gutting I brought a shirt with his name on the back because I was told on here he’s definitely signing
Atleast the away shirt with mullin on the back will be ok

4 Likes

I’ve never had much wear out of my Bielik shirt. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

My Ken Armstrong is still in its plastic wrapper.

2 Likes

So is my Gijsbert Bos. :joy:

1 Like

Bos :joy: wasn’t he the giant that big fat jan didn’t like?

Goes to show the power of a decent cup run
We nearly got relegated that season and it still sticks in my memory as one of my favourite seasons

1 Like

That was him, we signed him on loan from…Rotherham? He was the big centre forward that we needed, except it turned out we didn’t. Or at least, Big Fat Jan didn’t think we did. Never played a single minute, might have made the bench a time or two I think.

Same , I think we missed the boat on that one.

He was an animal mate some of the stories are horrendous didn’t he have a set of keys for the mortuary?

1 Like

Aha he was huge. I don’t remember where he came from to be fair. I thought he came on once but that could be me just remembering him on the bench. You couldn’t miss him I was only a kid then

He was certainly a big chap, warming up pre-match he was, as you say, hard to miss.
I think we signed Didier Tholot at around the same time, for the relegation battle Jan had steered us into, and Tholot did a good job.

Yeah I remember him, gone of the days where random foreign players turn up it used to be exciting seeing what they were like, unless that’s just rose tinted nostalgia clouding my memory

…and Jean-Jacques Eyedelie.

He did and was a frequent visitor :flushed:

Regis Gerrault…Athuman Chine…Bica…Samassi Abou…ahh, those were the days. :joy:

2 Likes

Idlegit was rubbish though, even if he had played a European final a few years earlier.

I got so excited when abou signed I liked him at West Ham for some reason
Bica to being a kid signing a Brazilian I was thinking we were Barcelona :joy:

1 Like

And then there was the season Ronnie ekelund turned up a few years after being at Barcelona

1 Like

The 1997-98 season was cracking for many reasons: The cup run, BFJ’s tactics, Roger Boli’s overhead kick & the random nature of our player recruitment. Suntan Man really did exceed himself with the caibre of player that he brought to the club.
We finished that season above Burnley & Brentford (who were relegated). Whatever happened to them?

2 Likes

simon

…and Jean-Jacques Eydelie.

The highest-paid player in the history of Walsall FC (yes, even more than Merson!) and a member of the Marseille team which was stripped of the French League title, because of a bribery (of opposing players) scandal in 1993 (the year they actually won the Champions League!). He got a one-year suspended prison sentence and a one-year football ban for his part in the affair. He was the one that actually contacted the opposing players to offer the bribe on behalf of Bernard Tapie, a Chairman who makes Jeff Bonser look like an angel.

3 Likes