Maz Kouhyar Interview

Maz left in 2018 didn’t he so doubt there’s anyone still left given the mass squad turnround in last two years.

1 Like

He played a few games last year too, saw him at Chasetown in one of the cups.

I’m sure I read that he was let go in Jan 2020 after staying with us to recover from his injury.

1 Like

You could probably hazard a guess at a few ■■■■■ if it was that season which like you say looks like it could be.

3 Likes

The two words “…back then” (the bus into Luton reference) really jarred. To someone of my age I hear that and, bearing in mind the topic, my mind immediately turns to the 70s and a bit of the 80s. Then you remind yourself he’s talking about TWO YEARS AGO!

5 Likes

Used to live on Dorchester Rd Chunk. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: they don’t have a right to be angered over somebody not wanting to report racist abuse to them. Whether they like it or not it’s representative of the atmosphere they chose to let manifest.

Did your skirting fall off?

4 Likes

Picked up by the BBC now

Shame that injuries have got the better of him. From what I saw thought he could have been a decent lower league player if he was given game time.

Hope he gets back into the game if that’s what he wants to do.

3 Likes

That’s not what I’m saying is it, what I’m saying is it’s not a true representation of the club that’s why they will be angry.

1 Like

And what a stupid thing to say, the club allowed a racist culture to manifest … really?? Ffs your better than that

Seems to be no worse than some of the vile abuse thrown at our ethnic minority players from the stands

3 Likes

Wouldn’t imagine any club would manifest a racist culture (and I’m not sure that is what ElN is saying) but if all that Maz Kouyhar has suggested is correct, there has been a time at the club in recent years when a Walsall player felt confident enough to say something considered racist to a colleague without facing repercussion, and the player he said it to didn’t feel he could report it.

That suggests at least some level of issue with racism within the club at the time, not necessarily systemic, but an issue non-the-less and one the club need to investigate and respond to publicly.

7 Likes

I couldn’t have explained myself better.

full article made the telegraph sports section today, as part of the fa guy sacking story.

I’d also question when it was said too.
Because if it was in a situation like training where there were other players around I’d be questioning why they didn’t say anything to challenge it as well.

Sadly, there is an element in the stands that see no issue with this too. Seen a few comments on other social media with some of our “fans” trying to excuse it as “banter”. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

To be fair to Kouhyar, if his version of events is accurate, the club, or at least the management team, were aware of it:

"He didn’t like that. We started pushing each other and the players split us up. A member of staff was there while all this happened, and heard it all and saw it all.”

It’s in the Telegraph now.