Mike Ashley

I would have no problem if Mike Ashley bought the club.
How he treats his Sports Direct staff, allegedly (have any of you slagging him off actually worked for him ? Simple question for you high horse riders), is by the by concerning him owning a football club.

1 Like

No they weren’t. When WFC were doing well and anyone criticised Bonser they were shot down by the “aren’t we so lucky” brigade. Now, several million quid and a couple of relegations later, aren’t you lucky that the ABB aren’t sitting here constantly saying “told you so!”?

5 Likes

He got to where he is by exploiting other people, especially his workers. Big fan of split shift, zero hours, and any way to make extra and pay less. Great, he’s rich, but what a ■■■■.

2 Likes

Yes but he could be our ■■■■ :grin:

1 Like

We’re still paying the last one.

5 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: class :+1:

2 Likes

So you have no first hand experience of dealing with him and you are basing your stance on “here say and rumors” but can’t back your hatred up with “facts”.
Lets deal in facts instead of idle gossip.

2 Likes

You;re equally clueless - support your sweeping statement. Facts back mine up=, not ‘hearsay and rumours’. He’s been in trouble, had issues with authorities, promised to change his ways, reneged on those promises. That’s not hearsay and rumours, but historical evidence of an odious creep exploiting workers. Wilfully ignoring it, like you are, is how ■■■■■■■ like him manage to get away with it all the time.

1 Like

Businessmen that accumulate the mass fortune that Ashley has often display psychopathic tendencies with little regard for a workforce. Its par for the course at that level of big business - just look at Richard Branson asking for payouts in the current crisis.

Its unbelievable that fans on here have spent years bemoaning the lack of a wealthy, driven benefactor and when one theoretically comes along its not good enough - all because the media have got hold of him and more than likely have taken him to the cleaners in their classless rags :joy: :joy: Look, if you want a failed bog handle manufacturer in charge with no clue then thats fine; thats why we are where we are - tenants in our own crumbling stadium with an unsustainable model (as stated by LP). If you want ambition from a successful businessman then in most cases you will have to turn a blind eye to some of their dealings.

If Ashley had not have got involved in Newcastle United do you really think The Sun and Panorama would have bothered with his dealings? Its all a media farce as per usual. He does what every other big business does at certain levels. There aren’t many businessman with a personal fortune that don’t have at least some black marks against their names for shady dealings - some even have a ‘Sir’ title…

9 Likes

You need to stop talking perfect sense , you will upset some of our highly righteous fans

Why is it that only if people agree with you “they are talking sense”?

6 Likes

So if you disagree with people you can acknowledge “that they are talking sense”???

Yes, of course. Lots of things do not come down to “sense”, they come down to peoples map of the world as they see it and their beliefs. In this case for example, some people do not care who owns the football club that they support as long as they bring “success”. Others see it differently for different reasons.

The comparison with Bonser doesn’t hold water in my view. Many people, including me, despise him for raping the club of its assets for his own personal gain and ultimately leaving it in a pretty poor state, not because he didn’t pour millions into the club.

6 Likes
1 Like

And so say all of us.

1 Like

Cracking article with which I concur. The football “family” is no more and the greed at the top of the game will, if we are not careful, ruin our national sport. Our Club is a victim of this as are many others and a reset is needed.

6 Likes

Agree with the article, particularly this bit:

At Newcastle, fans argue distastefully over the merits of the club being bought by the Saudi regime, while the sensible German 50+1 model of community ownership is not even considered a viable option

Football clubs should be exactly that, “clubs” not playthings of their owners.

3 Likes

I heard someone on R5L the other night blethering on about how the 19-20 Premier League season must finish for the integrity of the game. Made me laugh, integrity and football don’t exactly walk hand in hand. I think what they meant was the season must finish because we desperately, desperately need the broadcasting money.

Football at all levels is a financial basket-case with many badly run clubs and filthy money swilling around. They are often the playthings of super wealthy individuals and even of states. I want WFC to survive, but I wouldn’t mourn the death of huge parts of the game. Immoral and greed-obsessed, it needs taking down several pegs and I hope some of the very big Clubs die, but sadly they probably won’t, the smaller ones will be the ones to disappear.

I would love a return to the time when almost everybody supported one of their local teams. At work I’m surrounded by Liverpool, Arsenal, ManUre, and Chelsea fans, most of whom have never been to a live match.

9 Likes

Your last point is one which irks me a lot…in the Club I go to I often hear learned debates about those clubs and the systems they play. Most of it stuff they have heard pundits say on the television. They never go to a live game and their conversation shows they know next to nothing about it except the drivel which is spouted by TV commentators.
There is one other Saddler in there and, of course, our discussions are on another level!!! :smile:

1 Like

So, we can continue to be ■■■■ forevermore or get a chairman who is willing to invest in us and give us some success? Personally, I’m totally wracked off with being the punchbag for “bigger” teams like Accrington Stanley, Crewe and Rochdale. I want to see some success and if that means Mike Ashley then bring it on!