Morons in our own crowd!

First part - no platform for racists or abuse. Second part - back the team. Don’t care how old they are, they need calling out.

5 Likes

Probably from the Mossley :wink:

Yes. It’s alright to have a go at the opposition and the officials - football is a game of emotion - but there has to be a line. I’ve never understood fans using racist abuse - what does it make our black and non-British players think?

1 Like

Do you know what was said then ?

Your right, irrespective of age what gives anyone the right to wilfully cause offence to anyone and if there is a racial element to it if it’s proven he should be instantly banned and probably face a criminal investigation also.

3 Likes

I was sitting few rows back from the altercation in the middle tier, I turned round and shouted to the steward to get down and sort it, he looked at me like I’d gone stupid, he stood there watching, after I shouted a lot louder he finally went down the steps taking as small steps as possible.
I know it’s a thankless job but end of the day it is their job and they should be amongst it right away to protect others.
Eventually one of the stewards walked down the steps and called the guy out (called him by his name so knew him) and the guy got up and went with them.

I know it isn’t linked to the incident but with regards to stewarding what I don’t understand is the designated steward standing at the doors in the Stadium Suite checking tickets for those going up the middle stairs to the stand.

Many people go to use the toilet facilities before the game starts and then can walk straight up to the stand using the stairs at the end of the stand? Either have stewards at all stairs or not at all, it constantly baffles me.

1 Like

Seen this at half time mate.

It ends up being pointless anyway because the steward on the door only stays there until kickoff or just before and then anyone can just walk up there anyway. So if someone really wanted to go and sit upstairs without a ticket for that tier they’d just have to wait until the steward leaves.

The situation with the young lads who stand on the stairs between blocks 3 and 4 makes me loff.
Every game, the steward comes up, tells them they can’t stand in the aisle and they shuffle into wherever they can fit. By the time he’s got to the bottom of the stairs they are all back where in the aisle. He doesn’t bother again.
They don’t cause any problems btw but I suppose by the letter of the law they are obstructing an escape route.

1 Like

As said above the cost of living crisis doesn’t help matters.Just imagine(or this may actually be you) that going to watch Walsall so that’s buying the tickets,fuel in the car to get there,a few drinks and a pie in the ground took up the last of your weekly money.Some May think well don’t go then but it’s all this family has or this couple have in their lives as a pastime and some enjoyment for themselves out of work so why shouldn’t they be able too?.What I’m getting at is that when you see performances like that and when you’ve spent all the last of your money on that afternoon out to witness that type of display surely it’s going to anger you more when you know you have nothing left to spend than it would if you still had 100 quid in the bank.

2 Likes

Good shout and I would move to the family stand, but I go with friends and family who wouldn’t be able to sit with us. Big part of going to the matches is to spend time with friends and family who I don’t otherwise get to see.

1 Like

Agree with this Scoob, we’ve short changed our fans for years now so it’s easy to see why tempers boil over at times.

Sorry Scoob , that’s evading the issue , if someone has been a victim of racial abuse all that’s irrelevant

2 Likes

Genuine question given the cost of living crisis we have been discussing at length on here. How do these lads afford cocaine or whatever? Even a couple of pints seems an expensive night out for a lot of people.

And it’s not just racial abuse, any abuse is unacceptable.

3 Likes

It starts with getting in. If these people turn up at the turnstiles drunk or on drugs then it is the duty of the operator to refuse them entry even if it means calling the police for assistance. If they have managed to get in then people obviously off their trolley should not be served at the bar. If their behaviour is disruptive during the match then they need throwing out. If it happens several times then they are banned. We have to get tough on this behaviour before it puts people off attending. The behaviour I witnessed at Newport made me feel very uncomfortable to the point that if I had to put up with that home or away I simply wouldn’t go.

2 Likes

Agreed, some behaviour is driven by money, such as if your were broke and needed to feed your kids you might go and get caught nicking stuff.

Shouting abuse (racial if allegations are true) hasn’t got anything to do with cash in my view, that is just ingrained views and beliefs bubbling to the surface at a time of heighten emotion. You could say it is scratching beneath the surface of an individual.

2 Likes

That’s all correct, Unfortunately the alleged abuser yesterday was apparently in his 60s/70s which in someway makes it even worse and depressing.

Let’s be honest, there are far more older people with racist views and prejudices than younger people that in most cases don’t see colour.

8 Likes