Morons in our own crowd!

It may well have been . Opposition players will get stick and so will most refs that’s football. Thought you may well have got that by now :wink:

1 Like

More likely an amalgamation of factors that relate to the economic, political and social situation in the country over the last decade or more.

You can include austerity, Brexit and the current cost of living crisis for starters. The country is in a malaise and it is beginning to look like things are falling apart.

11 Likes

Of course I get it, but there’s stick and there’s consideration for others in the audience :smile:

Sorry I disagree football will never come without emotion for your team which does occasionally spill over what you would expect when with your children . If we all felt the same about swearing at matches and stick to opposing fans ,players,refs it just wouldn’t be the game I love and there would be very few children and up and coming saddlers fans .

1 Like

Fair enough, I respect your view. I enjoy a good atmosphere as much as the next fan, but I suppose we could have a different view of what makes it so.

1 Like

There seems a general sense of lawlessness across the whole country at the moment. I think this is a mixture of lack of Police resources (people thinking they can get away with anything), anti-Police messages everywhere (especially on social media), mental illnesses brought on by lockdowns and the general poor state of the country including recession, high cost of living etc.

None of the above warrants the behaviour of these idiots though and sooner we get rid the better.

8 Likes

People shout stuff at football. More at 10!

1 Like

Not exactly sure. We were sitting in the seats close to the door, then there were quite a few standing by the doors cos there weren’t enough seats. I had just stood up to let a lady sit down and there was a bit of a conversation about whether they were getting off in Town or Blocko, next thing fists are flying and it hadn’t really calmed down properly by the time they got off.

1 Like

Nope I just it is people being knobs and not understanding social etiquette and manners.

1 Like

EN I kind of agree , but if it’s shown that there is a racial element attached to today’s alleged incident with a Asian supporter and his young lad where does that leave us .

1 Like

Should have made it clear I was addressing the more general stuff being discussed later in this thread.

Clearly the racism is totally abhorrent.

3 Likes

Fair play

To some extent, it’s just this.
There have always been the odd nobheads doing these things but usually they’re ignored because people don’t want confrontation or the aggro.

But with everything going on in the world I think now people are like “I’m not putting up with this sh*t!” and it kicks off.

1 Like

Surprised that no one has mentioned the recent ubiquity of drugs, especially coke/ket. I’m in my mid 20s and I know loads of people take something before or during any time they go out. I believe drug use was one of the reasons in the report for the storming of the euro final.

Also, I’ve never been asked so often if I’ve got a spare bag in club/bar toilets. Last month I was in slug and lettuce and all the urinals were free yet a queue of four was waiting to use the two cubicles. Or maybe they just put laxatives in the cocktails :joy:

8 Likes

What happened today was appalling and needs to be called out as so. Unfortunately when LP called it out as such when these type of incidents happened last season on here at least he seemed to get criticism more than praise for trying to root out the idiots amongst our support. Trivela wil not be happy tonight and BB needs to ensure we root the racism and poor behaviour from our support ASAP. A small minority give us all a bad name.

1 Like

Last season, I was on the train with my kids and a group of lads (probably late teens early twenties) were doing what football lads do, having rather loud conversations peppered with expletives. All drinking as per a matchday, heading for the Villa as per the chat.

Now I’ve been a twentysomething too, travelling by train to see the Saddlers. I’ve had a few cans, and no doubt i’ve dropped a few ill chosen expletives along the way. Basically i’m not trying to sound holier than thou here.

However, what was apparent on that train ride is the blatant and unashamed amount of cocaine the lads were putting up their hooters off the train table. Maybe its a sign of how things have changed, or how available it is. Either way, it wasnt pleasant.

Should I have reported it? Probably. But to whom? No sign of any conductors. Should I ring the BTP? Probably, but once they have had their fix, wheres my proof? Should I challenge them in person and call out the behaviour? With my kids with me and as their sole guardian at that moment, probably not a wise move. Mainly because I also dont know if with the drugs could come weapons, and thats not a risk im prepared to take.

I’ve become hugely disillusioned with football recently. My kids have stopped wanting to come, and instead want to go and watch cricket and motorsport live. Its a better day or night out for them, and i cant blame them. Walsall are forever in my blood, but going to live football is starting to feel unsafe again. There are many things in which this country is regressing back various decades, and if society isn’t careful, we as football fans will also be back to the treatment of the Seventies and Eighties. Do we really want that?

I might be overreacting. But some of the stories i’ve read on here this month have confirmedy suspicions…its all going a little bit pear shaped.

21 Likes

Great post the whole country is going back to the dark ages lately suppose its inevitable it’ll spill over into football.

1 Like

The Stewards today were v slow to deal with matters .I think they are out of their depth .Where are the police when needed ? There were more scuffles outside as well - police more involved this time .

1 Like

Seemed to be more chavvy scutters in today. Tbf they were good as gold with me and my lad but I did see it nearly kick off in block 4.

Just seemed to be the usual trope of wannabes who can’t handle their ale/gear but there seemed to be more of them. Shame though as if it’s a regular occurrence I’ll not bring the lad - not worth it.

2 Likes

This was just an old guy who refused to apologise for causing offence to someone and it escalated from there.

Overall though, football is becoming like it was in the 70s/80s… economic decline, rising costs which creates a lot of pain and tension. Shouting at another tribe for 90 minutes can flare off some of that energy.

5 Likes