Most games lost in a row

Anyone know what the record is? Are we getting close?

I think DC & Pomlett will know what the record is,it’s probably ingrained on their mind’s,As for if were getting close,yes each week we get closer and closer to the National league…:open_mouth::anguished:

1 Like

A long way to go - in 88/89 we lost 15 on the trot and even that wasn’t the record. I watched every one of those games.

9 Likes

A way to go yet then! Luckily I was a newborn baby during that season so was spared the suffering!

1 Like

In 1989 we were a good side, out of our depth.
Taylor got injured in about the fourth match and it unravelled from there.
There seemed to be tons of single goal defeats and the confidence drained from us.
As a last resort, we signed Rimmer and Saville.

2 Likes

What a last resort eh?..:grin:

1 Like

I’m sure it’s 15 in a row. Ended with a fine Stuart Rimmer hat trick at Roker Park. I was there in the home end. Let’s just say they weren’t too happy. :grinning:

4 Likes

Yes went to all 15 games home and away thought screw this not going to sunderland look what happened. funny the last game we won before that was sunderland at home !

3 Likes

I too went to every defeat then decided that the trip to Sunderland to see yet another one wasn’t worth it. Learnt my lesson and it was the last one I’ve ever deliberately missed since (have missed some - just not by my own choice).

1 Like

I did make Sunderland away, I think the only two games I missed that season were Ipswich on a Tuesday night and Chelsea, when away fans were banned. The losing run started about mid-October and lasted till February. Very dispiriting. As someone said, losing Alex Taylor was a huge blow that we never recovered from, although David Kelly wasn’t properly replaced until Stuart Rimmer arrived (too late). Is it my memory playing tricks or was the last point before the losing run also Sunderland?

Not the last point, but the last win followed by 3 draws and then the 15 match losing streak.

We were also “giant-killed” at home in the FA cup by Brentford as part of that run. An omen for Saturday?

Ah, thought it was something like that. Thanks.

1 Like

Only two defeats in fust dozen games…amazing.

The appointment of Barnwell in January 1989 the week before the 7 v 0 Chelsea , little did we know how low things could go.

1 Like

Didn’t a young centre-back called Dean Smith make his début for us, that day? Whatever happened to him?

2 Likes

He ended up slumming it in the prem :grin:

2 Likes

I was a season ticket holder & watched every home game in that run. Was awful.

I remember getting Kerry Dixon’s autograph from the director’s box that day, like it was yesterday. Losing 7-0 at home, witnessing a dreadful penalty from our new Number 9 where he seemed to have a run up from the half way line and seemed too knackered to kick it… I was only 13 and little did I know that 31 years later, I would still feel the crushing blow of defeat after defeat… My dad told me that it was character building. Oh, and I listened a lot to The Smiths during that time: so many miserable memories #Novemberspawnedamonster

1 Like

I had a physical reaction to that 7-0 Chelsea defeat, I lost all feeling down one side of my body almost like a stroke. I was living in Wolverhampton at the time and my local was The Fox right next to Molineux, the pub that later became The Wanderer. The landlord there back in those days was the most miserable old git imaginable, I guy called Bill who was about 65. He wore the same shirt every day, and a pair of slippers, and if he was in a really bad mood he would just shout at everyone to leave and shut the pub at say 8.30 even if you had just been served, he’d just ring the bell and go, “five minutes to drink up, I want my bread and cheese”. If you were lucky enough to get change he would just fling it at you. The day we lost to Chelsea I got the bus back sometimes I would see Andy (Booster Cogburn on here) who was the only other Walsall fan living in Wolvo, I went to The Fox and you could have heard a pin drop when I walked in as all the regulars in there knew I supported Walsall, always good natured micky taking - there was grafiti in the Gents that said “what’s red and white…PINK”, and on the condom machine it said “Insert Walsall baby for refund”, all aimed at me, but that day just nothing, Wolves had won away 3-2 at Northampton as I recall. I went to the bar and ordered a diamond white cider and then before the first one was poured ordered another one asking for it to be put into a pint glass Bill duely obliged and then I got my money out to pay. He just grabbed my wrist and said “don’t worry about that son…It’s on the house” …If the pub was quiet when I walked in, everyone just stood jaws dropped, Next time I went in he just growled and threw the change at me!

9 Likes