New DoF - Jamie Fullarton

Interesting reading through people’s opinions on Fullarton.

1 Like

Can’t judge him for a good few windows

Take Smith out the equation and we’ve had no direction / policy since Taylor departed circa early 2000s ?

We are asking Fullerton to magically fix something that’s been underfunded for decades

There are non league players and youngsters going to prem clubs on our door step

7 Likes

But because we’ve had no scouting network we miss all these young players

2 Likes

Guys a waste of space. Recruitment is worse than without a DoF. Get rid save the money . Guy couldn’t see the sun on the sky , arrogant like Clarke and as crap as his job as Clarke

1 Like

Interesting development at Carlise, scrapping the position of DOF

1 Like

Low crowds, decrepit old ground, I don’t suppose the finances of Carlisle are that healthy. They may well be doing a “two for the price of one” re-arrangement.

Who knows, maybe they are right? For what it’s worth, I think a Director of Football is a very good appointment for all of the reasons Pomlett stated when he appointed JF. If we’d had someone similar when Dean Smith left, I think we’d be a lot better off now. Instead, we moved away from the pure footballing approach to a more pragmatic approach from Whitney, then we took a completely different turn under Keates, then another one under Clarke, and then another one under Matt Taylor. The DoF is there to try and tie it all together and have a longer term strategy. Is Fullarton the right man for us? Who knows, far too early to say, when you consider the criteria by which he would be judged.

4 Likes

Carlisle have appointed erstwhile Saddler Paul Simpson as manager.

They have sacked a few peeps recently, I know they are poor but I wondered if some decisions financially motivated, at least in part.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of DoF’s for teams at our level. To me it just seems like a waste of money. It is interesting to note that in the 4 years that they had a DoF, Carlisle Utd. remained in the 4th tier.
Seems that his remit was similar to that of Fullarton. This is taken from the CUFC press release when Holdsworth was appointed, “He was approached by Brooks Mileson to build the club from the ground up, create its distinctive style of play, and establish its winning formula.”
Worked well, eh?!?

1 Like

Think Carlisle are realistically looking over their shoulder at non-league and are cutting their cloth accordingly.

2 Likes

Call it what you want

I think Paul Taylor was a Football Consultant in the later days of his times here

The big clubs don’t just have Directors of Football they have teams of staff dedicated to researching transfer targets with all sorts of playing info and personal info to see if there’s a good fit

Having someone in place at your club to have options A, B,C, D and beyond lined up is essential

Can a manager do this— Smith could and did (but he was and now is one of the best managers in this country) every manager since couldn’t

Pomlett & Co as we have seen are absolutely dangerous left in charge of this

Call it what you want, mould the role in to what you want. The sphere of influence needs to be away from managers and directors

7 Likes

The thing is Fullarton is part of the ‘& co’ and I’m yet to be convinced by his signings so far. He needs to do a lot better or be got rid if.

So did Jamie Fullarton deserve the damming criticism that the majority of us aimed at him. myself included towards the end of the barron run of results.

Personally i believe he was 2 players short of a promotion chasing team, which he corrected in January.

So im happy to admit i was wrong and complement him on doing a good job on his first season in his role.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see how Flynn progresses with these players. In two games they looked like promotion contenders and then for 45 minutes or so at Swindon they were clueless.

If the next couple of performances mirror Saturday, then the mistake was appointing Taylor.

2 Likes