New DoF - Jamie Fullarton

Well, this is disconcerting.

1 Like

It was the right decision for me.

Replacing him however with Reid and Osei Yaw killed the season stone dead and set it on the downward path that thankfully was halted in time.

A decent striker signed in January couldā€™ve added another 7-8 points so wouldā€™ve been still outside chance of play offs if on 58 points currently.

Thatā€™s the annoying way of how the club continues to be run for me. No issue with selling players but they need to be replaced with guys who actually have some proper experience e.g. Jules leaving and Melbourne coming in to fill his role is how it should be done so why not upfront?

3 Likes

Just hope Fullarton gets the funding to meet our Chairmanā€™s strategic plan as in all success comes with investment.

If we can get the academy churning out 1 or 2 Sam Perrys each year we will be much more attractive to potential investors.

2 Likes

If this is to be believed it could be a disaster. If he behaves like that towards people, I wouldnā€™t want him here at the club but time will tell.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve read a lot of stuff about him being an horrible bloke to people.

I find it hard to believe Pomlett would employ someone who was truly like that, especially when he goes on about moral compasses and the like.

1 Like

Little bit concerning that.

Tapping into his academy could be a useful streamā€¦but it canā€™t be used to simply try to build a promotion winning 11.

I was assuming the incoming DOF would have hotline to a few clubs up the football league. Perhaps his spell since at Palace will help that? As not convinced Dutton will have those contacts given after last two results itā€™s more likely now heā€™ll get the job full time.

Hopefully an experienced assistant signed in the summer will at least. I assume the Bristol City link has been lost now so that canā€™t be tapped to get in a loan player or two in the summer like last few years.

Iā€™ve watched this clip and he comes across the exact opposite as what heā€™s being accused off.

1 Like

Iā€™d assume the club have done due diligence and obtained references as part of the appointment process.

1 Like

Yes, I think he deserves a clean slate from us on here. Tis only fair.

4 Likes

interesting piece from the BEEB (2016):

2 Likes

No but we was guaranteed not too have any chance we did have by selling him .
Same will happen next season Iā€™d imagine.

Imo one of the main roles of the Director of Football is to create a structure whereby success isnā€™t just defined by one player leaving. Iā€™ve said it before, but Brentford and Peterborough are the ultimate examples of what we should be aiming for long-term.

When the time does come for a key player to leave, we should already be two steps ahead and have their replacement lined up ready to step in to our style of play. Instead of panicking on deadline day and scrambling to find a loan from somewhere, this appointment should now allow us to have a much more methodical and pro-active approach to recruitment.

In the summer for example, Brentford lose Ollie Watkins and sign Ivan Toney from Peterborough who then get Jonson Clarke-Harris as his replacement. Both of those are having exceptional seasons and highlight how losing a key player doesnā€™t have to set you back two or three seasons.

18 Likes

Spot on, we should definitely look to aspire to be Brentford Lite

2 Likes

We also need to be prepared to spend the money to get the player if necessary.

2 Likes

https://leaguemanagers.com/managers/jamie-fullarton/

According to that website Richard Oā€™Kelly is still 1st team coach with us :crossed_fingers:t2::smiley:

I didnā€™t post it as a way of undermining the appointment, maybe I should of explained myself better. Just thought it was interesting. I for one genuinely believe LP is trying to move us forward and has been dealt a nightmare hand since he took over from the leach, who I still and always will despise with a passion. But also agree that LP needs to start get important decisions right to move us forwards, hopefully this is the first step. It is a bit of a left field decision, nobody I know mentioned his name. LP could have taken an easier route and appointed someone with Saddlers connections who would have appeased many fans. Personally I think I am quite pleased we have made a clean break with the past and also not appointed a real dinosaur. He is young, ambitious, good CV and got a point to prove.

Totally agree he has clean slate from me and I will judge him over his influence on the football side in the medium to long term. A lot of his work will be in the background and wont be able to be judged in a few weeks. As many have said, if I can see us moving forward on the football side I am happy

5 Likes

If only :joy:

1 Like

I noticed that! Only TWO teams ( both in the automatic promo slots) have LOST fewer than us! At the very least, that says weā€™re hard to beat :wink:

2 Likes

Jamie Fullerton concerns me a bit. I worry about how well he gets on with people based on that post that was put on here from an Halifax fan. Also looking at Wikipedia he seems to have lasted at jobs for a couple of years before leaving or being sacked. His managerial career is not brilliant either and I find it hard that if a more experienced coach how could he mentor them as he hasnā€™t got much relevant experience himself. Iā€™m not sure, apart from the Spanish academy, what he is experienced in that will help our coach. I am probably missing something or misunderstanding his job role.