New Stadium?

I was told last night that trivela are openly looking for new sites for a new stadium. The ideas are to sell the land bescot on to redevelopments which is estimated around 27m mark and that would cover the investors costs and pay for the new stadium which would leave everybody in pocket and walsall mortgage free with the club owning the new stadium. This came from someone close to the club and it would make sense if investors get a return. I’m sure the fans would get behind it if we’re mortgage free. I normally dismiss rumours and take no notice to anything like this but it does seem to make sense for everybody if that was the final outcome. My first response to this was “ why would they bother with the saddlers club if that was the plan? The response was “this is a 5year plan to find a site and get planning permission then the time to build the stadium and sell the current land etc. it also gives them enough time settle in and get everybody on side” it does make perfect sense imo. Thoughts? Chesterfield new 10.000 seater stadium cost them 13million.

1 Like

I’m for the idea of a new ground - never liked Bescot as a location - but the first question that pops into mind is… where?

The originally-touted Reedswood location is now being built on I think. Time to get the maps out.

1 Like

Why redevelop the saddlers club then?

1 Like

Anything would be better than our b&q ground who the hell sanctioned the design couldn’t have been an architect

1 Like

Because it gets the fans on side and it’ll bring in revenue short term and the new stadium will likely take 7 years+ which is a long term plan. ideas come and go and if things don’t work out it might not happen but it’s certainly one which adds up. He said the first site they’ve been looking at was in Aldridge :roll_eyes:. But again it’s a process they will keep open to see what sites become available. Only time will tell but it’s certainly one everybody gains from which makes sense

1 Like

I don’t mind moving stadiums but we would lose the revenue from the motorway with the signs and no doubt the events we put on would also drop. There’s a lot to weigh up with a move but the stadium itself I don’t think anybody would miss

1 Like

I’ve always looked at ‘the Bescot’ as the embodiment of a dream betrayed.

8 Likes

Not really helped much though has it ? :joy:

I was told…

“They”…

Rumour…

We’re in Hans Christian Anderson territory.

That was back in 2010, with the way that costs have been rising that £13m may well be doubled or more by the time any new ground is built.

I can imagine the banners being put up by the locals at this very moment

3 Likes

Not sure what type of stadium £25 Million would buy; something like Keys Park perhaps??

Agreed, but it’s still a topic worthy of discussion and input.

1 Like

BB has said previously he is looking to help the town of Walsall, not just the football club, so if there were to be a new stadium perhaps it would be in the town centre.

2 Likes

To be fair, what they’re doing to the Saddlers Club is mainly cosmetic apart from the roof repairs.
Would explain why they’ve kept it a fairly basic design.

1 Like

There’s a whole load of wasteland around Alumwell and the former Showcase cinema which could keep those advantages, but then will moving just one junction up be worth it?

That’s the dream, but I think it would also be a lot more difficult. Crown Wharf perhaps, if we were having this conversation 30 years ago. But on top of the expense, the closer to the town centre, the more cohesion would be needed with the Council. I’ll let others decide if this is an advantage or disadvantage. :grin:

2 Likes

Genuine question - is there anywhere in the town centre that is big enough, which would have any chance of planning permission?

1 Like

Yeah. If only wed had the chance to build a new stadium 30 years ago. :wink:

3 Likes

I dont know. If you are having a stadium in the town centre, youd surely want it by the bus and train station. What about the land by Marsh Street/Navigation Street?

Powerful. I like it.

1 Like