New Stadium?

You’d be lucky to fit a 5 a side pitch there. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

The Trade centre are moving to that site I think

Well if they like trading, let’s buy it off 'em. :grin:

1 Like

I’d look at somewhere near the top of Green Lane where the industrial estate is. Easy to repurpose land that just has warehouses on it.

Next to Beechdale and Bloxwich.
Right next to the railway line running between Bloxwich and Walsall if they wanted to stick another station in.

3 Likes

They won’t want to, but even if they did a new railway station costs £10 million plus, even for a basic two platform job.

And takes on average 25 years to open - see Aldridge station.

Re the rumour about a new stadium - can’t see it personally, and the stated reason doesn’t add up. Making a profit on a move like this within the same borough - doubt it. We aren’t talking high value land here, much like when people said Bonser wanted £15m for the land because that was what it was worth, apparently.

1 Like

I live in Aldridge. Not many potential sites there. Green belt land which will struggle to get planning permission, or brownfield / former industrial sites which may be cost prohibitive in terms of clean ups. That’s before you even get onto the geriatric tory voting locals with their pitchforks and nimby attitudes.

1 Like

I’m Aldridge too. The only potential site would have to be the old airport. Like you said, the ‘villagers’ would mobilise.
Unless however, the club could convince them the idea came from the ex chief whip?
I just can’t see it.

2 Likes

Like the idea of moving from Bescot but not sure the sums add up. If they think they can get £27m for the land it begs the question how much did they pay Bonser.
Also already mentioned Chesterfields ground is 13 years old so no comparison with now.

1 Like

Should’ve been built on the crown wharf land all those years back, a proper town centre ground with loads of pubs within walking distance. Bet the town would be in a better state now if it was.

Bescot is just terribly dull, always hated it.

7 Likes

Plenty of room for a 10,000 seat national league stadium :wink:

1 Like

Thats where WHG have their depot

That would be ideal for me, my work is on that picture

I think we need need to look for more than 10000 capacity. Let’s hope it’s not an HS2 costing that constantly increases.

1 Like

Done right, a new stadium might be the shot in the arm this ailing club needs. Look at what it did for Rotherham. But I’ll believe it when I see it.

7 Likes

If i remember correctly there was talk of Walsall Rugby Club moving to a new site at Aldridge Airport a good few years ago. It never got off the ground. The locals are mainly old folks with no intrest in sport or Villa fans who think Aldridge is part of Birmingham it will never happen

Sure we could squeeze in a 6k stadium somewhere with money to spare within that £27million.

Now, what’s Peter Gilman up to these days, and does it cost extra for stanchions?:thinking:

1 Like

Was suggesting this area specifically.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll copyright it.

1 Like

Steve price selling keys park for 1.3 million. Lots about it on the hednesford town chat. Confirmed by Hayden Dando chairman