New Stadium?

Our location is perfect as it is. Pity they were allowed to build houses around us.

1 Like

IT is still better than Luton, where they built a football stadium inside a housing estate :laughing:

1 Like

I was very impressed with the Wimbledon ground. Sat near the half way line with my Wimbledon friends, (weā€™re still friends :grinning:). The view was great as was the atmosphere, in part due to our fantastic supporters. The flats which have been built on one side of the ground and wrap around a small section of each end were built due to the cost of the stadium. Not originally intended. In fact the whole area is very built up and congested. Parking is very difficult. Canā€™t say the same about Bescot. Always find somewhere to park just a short walk away. Agree the stanchions spoil the view and the atmosphere is sometimes lacking. Not sure whether this is because the stadium design means that the sound is not projected but disappears into the ether?

1 Like

Also went in the Wimbledon club shop. Very impressive, light years ahead of ours!

Their tennis courts arenā€™t too bad either!

3 Likes

Their litter collection is good too.

4 Likes

Weā€™d know for sure if accounts had been filed, but they werenā€™t. We could always ask Bonser, as he was a director at the time, but Iā€™m sure youā€™d not get a straight answer. Heā€™s dodged that for ever.

3 Likes

As an ex-Sneyd pupil, I bloody loved that placeā€¦.if you ignore the local populace being cretins having the professional ambition of benefits and petty theft.

That being said, the routes in or out are a narrower tunnel leading to Crab Lane/Sneyd Lane or past the old pub - neither of which lend itself to anything other than clogging up roads.

Then youā€™ve got the issue over parking rights for the boating lake and the fishing at the reservoir - imagine telling some of these anglers or boaters that they canā€™t park their car on a Saturday afternoon!

They would certainly have something to carp about :grin: :wink:

4 Likes

I can imagine that it would create a bit of tench-on.

2 Likes

Would I have to drive sideways along there?

4 Likes

Yes or you could get sandwiched :smile:

1 Like

Iā€™d claw my way out.

1 Like

Never understand why people want to move from our location!
Like seriously itā€™s nearly perfect!

Right by the motorway!
Can see the ground from the motorway which is awesome and the ad revenue that brings
Has it own train station !
Near the Black Country route!
Walking distance from Walsall with bus links right outside the ground

Only issue is the traffic after a game

What more do you want !

12 Likes

ā€œWhat more do you want !ā€

We want the world and we want it, NOW!!!

2 Likes

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure that in the Simon Inglis book on football league grounds it notes that we ended up with Stantonā€™s because it saved somewhere in the region of 250-450k Iā€™ll dig the book out to check

I canā€™t remember what the cost reported to take out the main stand central supports in the early 2000s was. Iā€™m sure it was a couple of hundred thousand. I donā€™t think removing them will happen because itā€™ll never generate any revenue. Shame because it would look fantastic.

3 Likes

If I recall correctly the original design of the stadium didnā€™t have stanchions but as costs rose they decided to go down the Scunthorpe route. I will never forget how disappointed I was to see them when I went to choose my seat.

4 Likes

This is it. I might be a bit more inclined to make allowances for some of Bonserā€™s decisions if he hadnā€™t been so evasive and secretive about them. But his whole tenure was," never apologise, never explain."

6 Likes

ā€œItā€™s what the people of Walsall wantā€

1 Like