Next Manager?

That’s very true about Smith and ROK.
A few months more loyalty to the Club that gave them everything wasn’t much to ask at the time. Not even relevant that the move to Brentford was time sensitive.
They could have had a promotion on their CV with us and then moved on. I will never forgive that.
So glad that they seem to be screwing up things at the Villa after again walking out on Brentford after promising to achieve things for Brentford.
Always thought ROK was the real football brains behind mouthy Smith. Seems though he prefers the backseat role and had a go with Hereford that didn’t work out.

I think it’ll probably start at Cat F if we go down anyway …

I honestly don’t see why Hurst Darrell Clarke or managers of that level are unrealistic the likes of Holloway yes I’d agree with that but the other 2 have spent the majority of there careers at small clubs at this level or below.they are my 2 picks at least they have some experience in this division and below if we do go down.

2 Likes

He was a very good keeper, i used to watch them train regularly.

Thousands of criticism, no forthcoming solutions. It’s easy to sit there and pick faults with anything. Not quite as easy to offer decent ideas.

No sane manager would come to Walsall. It’s that simple.

1 Like

Just slot in the latest in the queue of former terrace heroes, hamstring their spending budget and let them take all the heat for a few more months.

3 Likes

The answer to this mess is investment … it really is that simple!

1 Like

Am I right in thinking we’re still paying off Whitless? If that’s the case there’s no way Bonser is going to pay for 2 ex-managers to sit at home sipping tea and watching Countdown.

1 Like

He is, but do you think Jeff is going to sit there and let us sleep walk into League Two with the early bird offer approaching? Not a chance.

2 Likes

He needs to take a gamble , dropping into league 2 with an average attendance of 3k will hit him a lot harder than sacking Keates.

2 Likes

Good job there aren’t many of them about, then :grinning:

Looks like the next manager is still the current one for a while longer…

Because we’re nailed on to be in League Two next season and even if we stay up they won’t be given a competitive budget next year. Particularly Hurst, who would be looking at a minimum mid table league one club.

That’s before we get to their salary.

1 Like

It’ll be either be an ill fitting non league manager that nobody has heard of or a promotion from within and you will like it.

He’ll take his £400k for the PF whichever league we’re in Mazza so I’m not sure that 3k attendances will bother him in the slightest - Besides which, we aren’t that far from 3k attendances now

The corporate side of the club will continue too so I’m not sure he’ll be that bothered - he clearly couldn’t give a ■■■■ about things anyway given the state of the club, from top to bottom…

Having potentially 2 ‘ex managers’ on the current payroll will simply leave him open to criticism and I feel it’s this alone that would deter him from letting DK go

I understand why you have that opinion but I think there are two factors which might make him act;

Firstly, yes he might be able to still take his£400k but a bit on attendances and general interest in the club will have a knock on effect on the commercial side and don’t forget he also has a lot of outstanding loans which need repaying at some point.

Secondly, it’s a mistake to suggest he only has interest in the money. Like it or not, he is/was a supporter and he wants the team to do well. As I’ve said elsewhere, he clearly has cognitive dissonance with regard to the effect that his financial wheelings and dealings have had on the club but don’t think he’ll stand by and happily watch us be relegated.

2 Likes

See your point completely mate but we can’t keep appointing unproven cheap managers and expect it to work.

I completely agree, but I don’t think it will stop them. The last 3 years have been death by a thousand penny pinches. Bonsor had the chance, after the play offs, to put a decent manager in place who could rebuild that team after the player losses. Especially with the money that came into the club that summer. I genuinely believe that was the turning point and now he/we are paying the price.

It’s too far gone now, he won’t invest he will just drain.

3 Likes

His three year contract is up in the summer so he’ll finally be coming off the wage bill in next three months so there would be space to pay Keates off.