Next Manager?

Not really sure what’s going on. Perhaps he’s been given Bradford at home as last chance game considering Bradford are one of the few teams bad enough to be still below Walsall in the league (although we know how all the other six pointer Home games have gone recently).

Problem is then a new manager gets that hideous set of March games to try to inspire a bounce.

Exactly, it’s now or not at all and it would be incredible to think it’s the latter and we’re going down without a fight and in absolute disarray.

If we are going to protest we have to hit that commercial stream, no doubt about it. I honestly, hand on heart, just don’t think Walsall fans have it in them. Too busy blaming the latest manager, the Walsall public, the latest bunch of cheap short term signings…

I hope I am proven wrong…

1 Like

I’d like to think one of the main revenue streams we can hit is replica shirts, perhaps by offering an alternative.

7 Likes

Go and take a look at what some Bangor supporters have done following the debacle at their club. I think if you search for Bangor comrades you might find info. Produced their own shirts and profits to charity.

2 Likes

Time for a white with red trim shirt.

2 Likes

On the point of paying off managers, are we still paying o’dismall off?

No and I think Whitney’s pay off finishes in the summer so if that’s correct in theory we could probably afford to sack Keates.my concern is throwing a new manager into the set of fixtures next month is going to be very difficult if they are going to sack him I’d want it done now and give a new man a few games to bed in before the tougher tests.

2 Likes

Yes you are correct JW’s pay off will end in this summer. Keates’s on the other hand has a good while to run

1 Like

It looks pretty clear that Keates is going to be in charge for Saturday, which I think is incredulous. If we lose, or even draw on Saturday what then? Stick with him for another week?? He should have gone after the Wimbledon game at least giving a new man a decent number of games to get us over the line. Going into the March fixtures with either Keates, or bringing in a new manager and asking him to get 5 wins from our last 12 or so games looks at this point to be suicidal. And where is Bonser, Gamble or whoever is supposed to be running this shambles?? Not a peep out of them, unless anyone has the temerity to criticise anything in which case they appear immediately and ask for meetings with the critics.

8 Likes

Let me be clear that I’m not criticising gamble directly for this, because he takes his orders from the owner, but what kind of a business sees itself going down the pan and the chief executive says nothing? Surely some kind of a statement is needed, even if just to say that they are fully behind keates and have belief that he will turn it around. The silence is, and yet at the same time isn’t, baffling.

Following the trend of promoting from within my " sources " in the club say the spotty kid in the well run kiosk has got an interview lined up for the job.

At the risk of too many comments about mutual respect and of course we all value others opinions etc and it’s fine to disagree (all though some on here seem to like to disagreement part far too much) :thinking:

I think this association of commercial revenue and footballing activities is being given too much credibility… heres why…

The clubs commercial revenue streams are in 2 key elements - Obviously football related (ticket sales, income from match events (dare I say catering!) and club activities such as the shop etc… and secondly from the pure commercial activities of the ‘business’ side of the club such as conferencing, events and advertising revenue

Take point 1… someone mentioned the ‘hit’ from reduced shirt sales - and forgive the pure speculation here as I’ve no idea how many we sell etc but lets say arguably 1500 per season (I think I’m being generous), at an average of £30 per shirt , that’s £45k - lets say that drops to 1000 shirts then the lost revenue is only £15k so do we really think that will affect his thinking on his next move and the security of the club in L1??

Additionally, a decent season in L2 could well generate more income than a crap one in L1 so he could possibly be edging his bets on that scenario too…

Point 2 - I doubt very much that a relegation will affect this element that much as it’s generated by ‘out of footballing activity’ and the infrastructure is completely unaffected by what league we are playing in.

I honestly do not see relegation frightening JB into a change in style or attitude - its only ever been a revolt from fans that’s forced his hand previously and I reckon he (along with the rest of us) can see that the club is almost ‘ready’ to exit L1 with a whimper…

Downbeat post I know but just how I see it

4 Likes

Yes SS, and won`t look good on his CV when he is for sure at some stage, looking for another similar job. Fancy job title, fancy car, fancy number plate, he probably does not even realise he has fell for Uncle Jeffs mind games.
It is just a title, nothing else, and Sallian is probably more of a Chief Executive than Mole is.

I think there’s a lot in that argument, but the E&S podcast mentioned the gap between the L1 & L2 TV deal widening from the start of next season. Going as far to say that paying the salary of 3 managers would pale into insignificance versus this revenue drop. I’ve not managed to find any details on this TV deal past the ‘bigger’ Championship clubs threatening a revolt over its length and price. Can anyone shed any light?

Further, what affect do you think relegation has on ticket prices/revenue? Did Oldham, Crewe, Port Vale, etc reduce ticket prices upon relegation?

1 Like

I can’t comment on the tv revenue as haven’t read anything about that anywhere

I’m just naturally cautious of anything coming out of the E&S as they ain’t the most reliable of sources in the press in my opinion…

Shirts cant be a main revenue source. They only seem to sell about 5 in July before they’re all sold out for the season.

A quick look at the online shop reveals zero home, away or 3rd shirts in Large. Seriously - a football club that doesnt have replica shirts available…

1 Like

As I said - I was being generous with 1500 - probably more like 150 if stock availability is anything to go by!

Shop is like everything else at the club - shambolic…

Kits are a massive bugbear of mine - never have any in and always blame the supplier. Picked 4 clubs at random - Yeovil, Oxford, Notts County (bottom of the pyramid!) and Morcambe. All have at least the away kit in Large. 2 of the 4 have a full kit selection.

1 Like

That’s a fair point, on the E & S. There’s been renewed coverage of the TV deal today, in light of EFL CEO Harvey stepping down and the TV deal cited as his downfall.

Looks like price is up by 35%, but they get more than a lb of flesh for it. But due to our accounting practices it isn’t clear what we get out of any broadcasting deal now.