Next seasons squad

To be fair we made a good comeback and were possibly on our way back to the Championship. Then just as the January transfer window was closing, promotion was sold… and the rest is history.

Those kind of opportunities don’t come around all that often, it really was a crime. We are a long way from there right now but things can change quickly in football, there is always hope and it is the hope that kills you as a football fan.

2 Likes

Dan scarr heavily linked to Plymouth. My Plymouth mate reckons he’s gonna be announced this week. Oh I badly hope it’s true

1 Like

God I hope :crossed_fingers:

Not bothered either way I preferred Clarke tbh

We need an experienced CB, a box-to-box, commanding MF and two proven strikers. The men up front really let us down last year, that area of the pitch needs massive improvement.
If MT wants to play free-flowing, attacking football we will need some wingers/wing backs too.
We absolutely have to spend the budget more wisely this season than ever before, we will see if they can adhere to the plan in the coming weeks.

Yeah I heard this one too. He did have potential but not enough for the first team at times. Should’ve offered Clarke a new deal instead of Scarr, as I was more impressed with him near the end of the season.

Coming along quite nicely :grin:

Said it just now elsewhere…where’s all this Osadebe starting every week stuff coming from?

I mean I was excited when he signed last summer (ironically same level of excitement I have for someone like Labadie…) and he had two good sub cameos and was then garbage for about six months.

Ended the season with a nice goal v Tranmere I think and the odd penalty scored but needs to do much more to convince me he can be regular starter in promotion challenger tbh.

Way I’d be looking it should be:

CF (still to be signed)

Wide player Holden Wilko

Labadie      Perry

Then Osadebe on the bench with another two strikers, Bates and some defenders.
pitch quickly in counter attack)

Still need to get a wide player in who has similar profile to the good Wes McDonald in that they have a bit of unpredictability, can get team up quickly on counter and chip in with some goals.

2 Likes

From him starting every week I think. What you say about him was true until the last couple of months of the season over which time he was our best player (the opposition commentators are always good to listen to). Him and Holden, if they can reproduce their form, will be formidable in League 2.

3 Likes

Osadebe has something, he always has had even in his early days with us. Yes he is erratic, which is why he is playing for us. The right management will hopefully turn him into a more consistent performer who can on his day be devastating at L2 level

3 Likes

So you’ll be cool with no wide player coming in? Given Wilkinson will be starting every week on the other side. I think that would be bit of an error tbh. Need a McDonald type (when he was good) to stretch things a bit on the other side.

I actually wouldn’t be against him starting some matches alongside Labadie, not many teams would fancy mixing it with those two and then Perry also as an option who can mix it.

Unfortunately Wes got to predictable everyone knew what he was at.

Yes but he was good for half of 2019/20 so just annoying he regressed last season.

I still think signing a proven and starting wide player this summer would elevate this from excellent transfer window to 2007 levels so we’ll see what next few weeks bring.

Why do you think Wilkinson will be a wide player? Do you not think he’ll be central striker drifting in from a bit of width? He is a striker isn’t he?

I think we need to focus on left winger and left or both footed striker now.

This isn’t me calling you out btw. I’m interested in your views and any info I’ve missed

Spine is on the way to being sorted. Yes we need wide players. Ada Thorpe and Willy Naughton please

2 Likes

I think it’s come from what Orient fans have been saying, with his best performances and most of his goals coming from him cutting in from the left. Either way we’ll definitely be seeing a first choice left sided player or striker coming through the door

1 Like

I also think Wilkinson might be more used as a wide player than as an out-and-out CF. Bit of evidence here (scroll down to see his positonal stats) … https://www.whoscored.com/Players/137802/Show/Conor-Wilkinson

Roger. I understand now. Thanks gents.

1 Like

All the Orient fans on the posts after he signed say he’s much better as wide in front 3 than central and played most of his career in that position. They said he isn’t a great header of the ball despite his size for a start so not quite the second comin of Rambo or even Macken/Mooney type CF.

I’m thinking he’s more a Steve Jones type who chipped in with plenty of goals one year from out wide despite being a CF earlier in his career.

This was what was said exactly of adebayo when he signed r.e. Heading. Even under Mr Badges and BTEC Darth Vader Brian he turned that round when finally being told to stick to playing centrally. With how MT is talking players will know their roles and stick to it so if playing centrally then heading practice becomes the priority, he wouldn’t have signed if he felt like we weren’t going to play to his strengths.