Next Walsall Manager Thread (Again)

There’s so much negativity on the Saddlers social media sites towards rumoured appointment of Kevin Phillips, that you have to wonder if Pomlett’s having second thoughts. One thing he definitely needs is the fans backing of Flynn’s replacement, particularly if he wants to re-open the early bird scheme! 7 days ago Phillips seemed to be odds on favourite.It’s all gone quiet at the Bescot since then. Last night Pomlett, Sadler and O’Kelly were at the Heath Hayes ground running the rule over our youth players. Can we read anything into that?

Walsall fans have been conditioned to think any spending is a lot. That’s pennies in this market.

Not saying he’s worth it, but good luck getting a striker with any sort of record in this division with less than that.

2 Likes

I think sadlers got it tbh

2 Likes

Hopefully your wrong, it would be a massive mistake

1 Like

If we are going with an inexperienced candidate I would pick Sadler over Philips as he knows the club and would have a better idea of what is needed. Neither would be my first choice but if thats the route we are going I think KP is not the right man.

To me the most significant person at the match was okelly
Of hes only there for 3 games why bother

1 Like

Agreed massive mistake of Sadler has got it and a real disappointment. Just cheap basically. No credentials to do the job.

1 Like

Perhaps all of those managers were actually crap (as they found out at Port Vale, for e.g.) and the fans who welcomed them know SFA about football and how to pick a manager (ditto the rest of us UTS denizens). Some of the suggestions on here are real head scratchers.

1 Like

Have they really?? Full time club just scraping into the play offs in that league.

they were poor for months this season.

all gone quiet at the Bescot since🤔

1 Like

Obviously turned it round then , maybe they were tactically astute enough to change something, unlike our last manager.
There are several full time teams in the league.

Why does an in house appointment always just get labelled as cheap?

And why doesn’t he have the credentials to do the job?

He’ll have the necessary coaching qualifications (ie pro licence), he has played at the very top but also in the lower leagues. He’s coached in the EFL under two different managers and has an affiliation and an affection for Walsall!!

If he’d been at another club as a coach we’d be getting pretty happy if he was on the shortlist for this job.

6 Likes

I’m willing to give any manager/coach a chance within reason. With any appointment there are no guarantees has proved with Flynn, i believe the next appointment we need to give them at least 2 summer transfer windows to stamp there mark on the team… i think getting director of football ( a decent one this time) is has important as the managerial appointment.

1 Like

It’s not about just the manager, we need a manager and the right number two (Matt Taylor an example of the wrong second in command ) we need the right coaches defensive and attack minded, we possible need a footballing link between the board and manager ROK as a consulant or a DOF
Whatever the manager appointment we need to support and not fixate on what he hasn’t got or not done but look at what the whole coaching team can do.
Personally I hope Saddler and ROK are part of that team

1 Like

We appoint Coakley , Graydon , Smith …reaction mainly negative . Outcome - ( overall ) successful at least in parts with 3 promotions there and one likely one under Smith .

We appoint Keates , Clarke , Taylor , Flynn … reaction largely positive . Outcome … poor to failure .

Who knows , I reckon it defends if it “ clicks “

4 Likes

I made a similar point a few days ago…best for the Board to appoint someone we don’t want if you look at the record!! Incidentally you can add Colin Lee to your negative list!!!

1 Like

Who can really tell if Sadler would be a good choice. Personally like the idea of the Cowleys but our last 2 fan supported appointments in Clarke and Flynn both had success in their first jobs after a similar coaching period as Sadler has served.
There probably is a ball park market value for a league 2 manager so wouldn’t necessarily be a cheap option. Sadler has done well outside of the game in property investments so can’t imagine he will accept the job for peanuts desperate for a job.

You’ll have to remind me about such exciting times, getting really old now, seem to remember attending a great match in Wales and being amongst 20,000 ‘Walsall fans’ at Wembley, many many moons ago, apart from those, most seasons have been a pretty miserable set of mind numbing non ‘events’. tee he…
This new manager lark is getting complicated, Swindon now in the fray so they will get the Cowley bros, Tranmere are taking Artell, big Sam gone to Leeds, so it seems we will get either Phillips or stick with the cheap option of Sadler & ROK.

1 Like

Your last point is not correct. Why would they be any cheaper than anyone else.? CS makes the argument above with which I concur.

In-house is always a cheap option, when you have been in business, you get to know that it is always cheaper to go in house for promotion etc rather than taking on ‘outsiders’.

1 Like