Next Walsall Manager Thread (Again)

More like Cowley or Graham Alexander

He probably gets a lot of business from our constant changing of players and managers. After all they need somewhere to live for the short time they’re here.

4 Likes

As well as Sourcing accommodation don’t forget Matt can also provide bespoke Financial services and advice

He’s just joined England alongside Southgate

We definitely need to keep him at Walsall with all the roles he has.

Tbh. I was thinking that. So extensive is Matts Business expertise and portfolio. Let him just run the club completely

Good idea. Get rid of the Gamble and don’t bother replacing the manager. More money for the budget, win win.

2 Likes

Think Wrexham may help us in that context

1 Like

Makes sense to me.
The days of club managers being with one club for a few years are long gone.
I think that I read that (60?) of the 92 clubs had changed managers in the last 12 months.

Some sacked, some poached by other clubs.

1 Like

Maybe he could employ a good coach to look after Walsall fc.

All depends on the budget and how pissed off trivelia are with this season .
If they are as pissed as we are and prepared to back the new manger and give him a chance of getting out this league at the first attempt then our club on the whole would very tempting for the more higher profile managers with something about them at this level compared to other jobs.

I want Sadler at the Club.

I just don’t want him running the club

Imagine he’s a committed guy takes his work seriously and would try and fix things here but profile wise and media wise he ain’t ticking boxes

1 Like

Can I suggest Liam Bennett as player manager. :thinking:

Seriously, are there any player managers nowadays? Was Buckley our last?

Were there any successful player managers?

Merson was our last

1 Like

I think you will find that the increase in training is down to O’Kelly. And it is not that they are doing extra training sessions, as apparently there were days when Flynn spent extra days back at home in Newport and training just never took place.

Surely it would be the Sadler/O’Kelly partnership we would want.

What evidence we have from the outside shows that Sadler was doing what he was told to do with the team, not what he would have preferred to do. ROK is helping him do that but I think it might not be fair to either of them to suggest ROK is doing all the work.

After so many changes of boss in recent years, all failing, it is hard to see any appointment short of Guardiola setting the pulse racing but those two seem as good as any and better than most suggestions to me.

I imagine lots of managers have independent business interests by the way.

That’s exactly my point! I didn’t say extra, I said training twice as often!

And the manager sets the schedule along with the sports scientists and around the fixtures so it’ll be Sadlers decision. Point being is that he will be there as opposed to being on his phone selling property or offering financial advice!

2 Likes

Buckley won promotion with us and Doug Fraser staved off the threat of relegation.
In the wider world, Kenny Dalglish won the double as player-manager of Liverpool, so that was OK.
Hoddle and Gullit were player-managers in the Premier for Chelsea, and Ruud won the F A Cup. Glenda played nearly all of the games when he guided Swindon to promotion to the Prem, but jumped ship in the summer and went to Stamford Bridge.

Big name is a great idea - Johannes Vennegoor of Hesselink up to these days?

1 Like

Or maybe Elijah Anuoluwapo Oluwaferanmi Oluwatomi Oluwalana Ayomikulehin Adebayo as player manager.