Next Walsall manager

Would Sol Campbell be a daft suggestion? Only managed two clubs in big trouble but seemed to turn Macclesfield round when he was there.

1 Like

Yeah smashed in on the floor blood everywhere and nobody seen a thing :thinking: that’s Blocko

3 Likes

:rofl: I’d love to see that!

2 Likes

No thanks. Don’t want a big-time Charlie or a has-been. Anyone who’s name would be mentioned before Walsall is a no-no for me: Paul Merson’s Walsall, Wayne Rooney’s Derby, urgh!

3 Likes

Yeah, could work, he’s got a similar mindset to our fan base.

Didn’t he once just play a single game for Notts County under Sven Goren Eriksson, having not quit clocked onto the fact they were in L2?

1 Like

Yeah! :joy:

Have the Blues or Bournemouth got any managers we can take on a free loan?

1 Like

Tisdale Kelly or Barton for me won’t be any though they’ll want a wage.

I have it on good authority that as part of the deal, Tom Pope will be released from his contract, and sign for us as player manager.
Honest.

If he was to lose his job at Bristol City, I’d be happy to see us get Dean Holden.

1 Like

I’m not so sure on that one. Genuinely, what is it about his time as manager as Bristol City manager that makes you think he would be a success for us?

Think big sam might be looking for another job pretty soon.

I think we should be looking at a manager who will grow with us as a club, not someone who is a gobshite and thinks he’s been there and done it like DC.

We’re at one of our lowest points, the perfect opportunity is now here to start afresh, lets build a footballing DNA. Lets get a young, hungry manager who has coached/played in the higher levels and wants a crack at management, someone who believes in playing football the right way whilst working on our strengths, whilst also willing to give youngsters a proper chance, a chance they’ll likely take as the same footballing DNA would be right through the club, from youth to first team. These would be the key boxes that any potential manager has to tick for me.

If we can have a manager who will grow with us with decent football, the better players we will attract and a more forward thinking modern football club we’ll look.

5 Likes

Has nearly a 50% win record at Bristol City, got them to near the play offs until Christmas, but they’ve tailed off in recent weeks due to injuries. Was a great guy when he was with us and you could tell at the time with him working with Smith that he’d go into management.

He would be a much better appointment than someone like Askey or Curle, who will probably be at the top of the bookies favourites.

1 Like

Eager to ‘think outside the box’, a name that I would love to see back at the club is Chambers. I think that Sadler played with James Chambers at Watford (and possibly even Deeney) but to see Adam back would certainly improve my levels of optimism.

I think Ned Kelly would be a great no.2 (a bit like O’Kelly was for Smith) but can you imagine Sadler as manager, Chambers bringing on our young midfielders and Kelly helping out the attackers. Get Jimmy Walker back too and I think season-ticket early bird sales would rocket.

3 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t know about his win percentage. That makes more sense as an appointment.

1 Like

Last three managers, who had some (bigger, lesser) CV behind the back (O’Driscoll, Keates and Clarke) more or less failed. But giving a team to someone new in the managerial world (Whitney) hasn’t worked either. Next appointment will be crucial, cuz only one mistake is allowed here. In league one there was some margin for such things, but now it is not. I know, a newer version of DS would be the best, but it was a once in century event. So I suppose now looking for someone similar, in an adequate price range, probably started. And maybe is very near to the end. LP looks like a man, who is good at the business side of things and knows the proper manager is always a crucial part of any footy club. Leaving it for later is possible, but can be true, that events of the last few weeks were planned before. And someone new is planned too.

2 Likes

Mentioned him yesterday but if you want a pretty proven league 2 manager (I know I know DC was supposed to be it) then won’t do much better than Paul Tisdale.

Two promotions out of this league with two different clubs and to me he gives off similar vibes to Dean Smith in you can put him in charge and let him build something over xxx number of years given he was at Exeter for a decade, established them in league football and also brought through many young players who moved on for cash higher up.

Last two jobs in league one haven’t gone that well however so means he’ll probably have to drop down back into league 2 to get his career going again so don’t see why he wouldn’t be a realistic target if he’s still available in the summer.

He also likes his flat caps on the touchline…so if it dosen’t go that well those with fading eyesight can at least think it’s Graydon on the touchline again!

1 Like

I haven’t scrolled through all the DC thread yet but I assume Vale have paid compensation for him? Oh wait got it Bonser has gobbled that up aswell… :rofl:

You’ve got that, recent money for Jules and Ade so there is something to play with to keep until the summer and then hopefully matchday income will be a thing again.

Managers still need to work and plenty of similar sized clubs have got in decent managers in recent times. Hasselbaink at Burton and Steve Cotterill at Sloppies are two who were working in championship not so long ago.