Next Walsall manager

Cheap options are fine. Clarke was at his best when he came out of nothing anyway. Generally against ex-players, but Sadler might be a shout.

Seeing as we seemed to have a similar budget to non league i think we should be looking here.

I do hope when the new manager is selected, Pomlett (or those advising him), don’t go for an identikit gift of the gab / look at me and my badges / mouth almighty / ironman clone.

I would much prefer someone in the mould of Smith who, you can see, respects his players (and the fans) and quietly, thoughtfully and intelligently gets on with the job.

A few more brains and less brawn would suit me.

6 Likes

Can see Sadler getting it purely cuz he’s cheap, local and is a good pro.

Fingers will then be crossed and we’ll spin the wheel again in the vain hope something clicks. Rinse and repeat in another 18 months.

Is Warnock available?

1 Like

Tim Cahill. Optimistic… however I believe he wants a managerial role and everyone has to start somewhere. Very intelligent guy that comes across hungry with the desire to succeed.

Could we afford him very doubtful.

1 Like

I wonder how desperate some young wanabe manager would be to get into management ?
I wonder if we could get a name, but on a bonus only contract, with the lure of getting us promotion and therefore putting them in a better position to get a better job and their name in lights :grin:

I think financial survival is our number one priority. Dutton will stay until he moves to Vale in the summer and then Sadler will get the job. Could be a master stroke and he might be the next DS and if it all goes tits up then so be it. On to the next fool who wants to take on the ‘project’

Just heard John Askey is free :grin: :wink:

What’s Ian Atkins up to?

4 Likes

A name means nothing

A CV is a guide but not a guarantee

A playing history or affinity with a club might buy some loyalty or patience but it won’t make a big difference

The most shrewd appointments, Coakley, Nicholl, Graydon and Money came from nowhere and made an impact on their own merit. Right place right time.

Given the signings Pomlett let DC make and the fact he appointed him makes me worry we’ll pick another dud.

1 Like

Nicholl had managed Southampton and gave a certain Alan Shearer his debut!

To be fair, we all thought he was a good appointment, and a lot of us thought Sinclair and Clarke would be good signings. On paper it all seemed to be a good match, it didn’t work out that way but I don’t think that you can blame LP for the way DC managed the club.

2 Likes

Right place, right time is incredibly hard to get.

Joey Barton , let’s spice things up a little😉

1 Like

Have we got enough youth teamers for him to be stubbing his cigars out on their eyelids?
Under lockdown, would he be able to go into the town centre and smash some faces in?
Is there anywhere in the tunnel that he could smash another managers teeth into?

If the answer it all of those is no, then he shouldn’t be appointed.

2 Likes

There is no doubt Darrell Clarke talked himself into the role.

1 Like

Said the same on numerous occasions. Looked like the right appointment but it hasn’t worked out.

Problem with him is it’s more about him than it is about the football club he’s at we’ve just got rid of one of them don’t want another I want a humble decent manager an arm round the shoulder manager they get the best out of players in my opinion.

1 Like

I would love him to wonder into a pub like the Carousel in bloxwich and give it the bigun :grin:

3 Likes