O’Connor until the end of the season

Jeff Bonser delivers another Saddlers legend to act as the next sacrificial lamb.

All to try and take the spotlight off the scrooge Bonser for another few months.

The parasite really has no shame.

BONSER OUT!!!

6 Likes

It would be more of a gamble bringing in a new manager who doesn’t know the players,you can’t just clear out all the backroom staff until the end of the season for the same reason. For all we know he may make wholesale changes and win the game at Accrington on Saturday.

1 Like

Maybe MOC could change the way the team should / could play with Cook on the pitch instead of just hoof ball , after all we didn’t start the season with hoof ball tactics and he was still scoring , and we were winning games .
Maybe they were just desperation tactics at the end , but feel sure Cook could produce the goods with the ball coming in from the wings rather than from our own half.

8 Likes

To have brought in a brand new appointment, Bonser would have had to offer at least a 12 month managerial contract which I couldn’t see happening and no-one would come here to do a 5 game job.

I think it is totally understandable he’s given the short-term role to MO’C. He breathed some new life and a little more belief into the team and I think if the players respond to his fighting spirit and passion for 5 games, we may have a chance and I think that’s the conclusion Bonser has drawn. In addition he knows the players and the club.

Come May 5th, that will be the time to sit down and re-assess what happens next.

1 Like

The simple problem with this whole shambles is that the idiots running Walsall FC have left it far too late to sack Keates. For the second year running they have simply gambled with our league one status for all the wrong reasons. Last season Whitney was sacked because their was growing unrest, and Keates was appointed as a deflection tactic and to boost season-ticket sales. We got away with it thanks to the fact that Keates had to do virtually nothing to keep us up, a couple of very very lucky wins against Bury and Northampton did it. This season it was patently obvious by January that Keates wasn’t good enough, but once again the incompetents took the gamble that we would stumble to safety. The magnitude of Keates’ incompetence as a manager from October onwards was ignored, and here we are in the very shambolic mess that many level headed supporters have been predicting on here and elsewhere. If ever a football CEO was aptly named its ours!

10 Likes

100% agree with this.
Some people still think that Cook is the problem.
It’s the idiotic service into him that is the problem.
If Martin does one thing correctly, he should attend to this.

7 Likes

MOC is the only logical appointment short term. Anyone else would need time to get to know the players and lets be honest we are in last chance saloon now, it is unbelievable we are not relegated already considering our form.

We have enough talent to escape relegation and Martin needs to fire an almighty rocket up the players backsides. Play like they did against Barnsley and they should smash Accrington off the park, lets hope we have our shooting boots on this time !

6 Likes

I think getting a permanent manager in would have been better as it gives him chance to see what the players are like and who needs to go for next season. I doubt O’Connor will keep us up unless he has totally different ideas to Keates.

2 Likes

Good luck Martin.Please do it your way-if necessary make some brave changes in personnel and tactics.We have five games to fight for our div one survival.Identify who in the squad is prepared to roll their sleeves up for 450 odd minutes,put bodies on the line get their heads up and show some pride.Based on what I saw Saturday there were quite a few who would not tick those boxes and would be lucky to get in a non-league side.There must be players who have not featured who would love the chance to show what they could do and how wrong Keates was to leave them out.Martin do not be influenced by the other “coaches” who are responsible for so many players either going backwards or failing to develope-please be your own man and this is an exciting opportunity.

1 Like

Has to pick Kinsella for me.

He isn’t perfect but at least he plays with a bit of fire in his belly - not the pretend passion of a Leahy or permanent fury over everything and nothing that Cook has - but a genuine desire to win the ball and influence the game.

6 Likes

Agreed that’s one name on the sheet.

1 Like

I’m not being funny here mate but if a left sided centre half has the ball and the striker pulls off onto their left sided centre half and stands there with 3 of their centre midfielders standing between the CB and CF then what chance would anyone have of playing the ball to his feet?

One last desperate throw of the dice.

Wouldn’t be quite so desperate if they’d have found the dice a few months ago. Once they’d kept them pocketed post January they may as well have kept them there in my opinion.

I don’t buy that O’Connor has only five games to prove himself and keep us up. We’re down. Down and out. He’s got five shots to nothing in my eyes. No pressure at all from me.

4 Likes

Since September:
• Won 7 (19.5%)
• Drawn 8 (22.2%)
• Lost 21 (58.3%)
• Scored 34 (0.94 per game)
• Conceded 62 (1.72 per game)

So MOC could play Bradshaw, Leitao & Harry Potter up front and we’d be in trouble. We need a miracle & he needs to make brave changes.

7 Likes

PT spot on btw

Understandable with only 5 games left and odds on to go down but please Martin do not take it do not carry on next season and become another club favorite to be sacraficed by Bonser.

1 Like

■■■■■■■ hell. I didn’t realise it was that bad!

How was he not sacked sooner!

1 Like

In addition we have only kept 7 clean sheets all season, ie 17%! Ironically we kept non in August.

Think Norman, Fitzwater, Kinsella and Edwards will all be starting on Saturday. Maybe even Dunn as Liam confidence is shredded now after Saturday.

Not sure what he’ll do upfront but think Cook will stay in so probably one of the wide players taken out.

Edit: Josh Gordon suspended, picked up his 10th yellow in the league on Saturday so 2 match ban.

2 Likes

This might give Oteh the opportunity he needs. Gordon has been excellent of late but competition for places is needed and we need goals, goals, goals!

I think that Zeli has to be subbed too. Stiffen up the midfield with Edwards and try and be hard to beat in the middle of the park.

1 Like