Official - our worst ever season ( as league 2 )

Do you? They were parallel divisions with their own promotion and re-election/relegation places, just as the Conference North and South operates today.

Yeah, that’s what this is. It’s definitely not a desperate attempt to defend a woeful season you’ve been chirping on for weeks isn’t as bad as being made out and that Dutton deserves a second chance (or more accurately a 14th chance), and to achieve that, denying that 68th, in a season playing teams from the third tier in a regional basis is lower than finishing 80 odd only playing teams in the fourth division (something even said manager being defended has accepted and acknowledged himself)

I know this story, where you drift into nonsense because you can’t defend your position anymore. I can’t explain it anymore to somebody who won’t accept reality.

1 Like

Well that’s the debate isn’t it. Not one started by me, I don’t really care. But the debate is 2020/21 is Walsall’s worst ever season.

To answer that question coherently you have to put some sort of ranking on the 1952/53 league table. Otherwise you’re being disingenuous.

Or you accept that teams only had 68 positions to play for and it would be disingenuous to rank them any lower than that, especially by merging the records from two unrelated divisions.

Anyway, subjective etc.

The fact we are all debating our worst league finish either being now or in whatever season someone else thinks it is shows how far we have fallen,can we have a “is this our best season ever” thread and quick please.

2 Likes

Not to mention the advantage this season of only playing tier 4 opposition, rather than a mix of both …

Yes ok, but, in general, you can’t then say Walsall finished 68th in 52/53 and thus was a better season than 20/21.

Yes, and if we’d finished 24th this year, there’d be no debate,

But we didn’t…

As I said further up the thread, for a few seasons in the early 50’s we finished in the lowest league position available to us - which is bad. This season we’ll finish below more fellow league clubs than ever before. The latter is worse for me.

There’s no debate finishing 17th or lower unless you are desperately defending a position that’s nonsense.

And don’t say it isn’t desperate, you’ve responded to virtually all of my posts on this thread whether they are addressed to you or not and started your own vote on it. More than entitled of course, but it does come across a little desperate to defend your position.

You’re going to have to wait a minimum of three years for that I think to get anything like a positive answer, subject to subjectivity of course.

3 Likes

They called it the " old pals’ act."

Best ever league position at any given time? How about the table on 9 August 2003.

6 Likes

Ad hominem points you’ve made there. Nothing to do with what’s being debated.

Noticed there was 40 unread replys in this thread, knew it was one of two things.

1. Dutton had been sacked.

2. The El nombre show

It was 2

1 Like

As far as I’m concerned, this is our worst season in my living memory.
Worst league, worst place and worst manager!

2 Likes

Subject to finishing in the bottom 4 I would think it could be Barrow or possibly Stevenage but we are now all committed to the current system so it ain’t going to happen.

There’s no debate. This is the lowest. Might not be the worst, but it is the lowest. That’s objective, the other subjective.

Boom top after 1 game :+1:t2:

The title was worst :zipper_mouth_face: