Oisin McEntee Signs

Every single team at this level has a defensive midfielder, that doesnā€™t contribute many goals or assists. The bit I agree with is we donā€™t need two of them.

6 Likes

Elliott Watt was the best ā€˜defensiveā€™ midfielder in the division last year. He didnā€™t score a single goalā€¦.but he did contribute 15 assists.

Replace ā€˜defensiveā€™ for ā€˜deepā€™ or ā€˜holdingā€™ and the picture changes. Those players need to progress the ball even if their strength is breaking up play.

6 Likes

Absolutely.

Elliot Watt is a top player. Far too good for L2.

I mentioned on here we should sign him on loan a few years ago (having watched him play for Wolves U23ā€™s). A few months later he joined Carlisle on loan and had an excellent loan spell there.

2 Likes

Just some stats to back that up, rolled back for the last time this discussion was had :point_up_2: Just take ā€œKinsellaā€ out and swap it for " a defensive midfielder". The players around them in this squad might be though.

Threads there and already happened if youā€™re interested in my replies and posts to that comment :joy:

And for context, you failed to quote the reply to that from @ShropsSaddler which was absolutely spot on :+1:

2 Likes

Absolutely nailed it. Iā€™ve been saying the same on here for about 5 years mate - and met with a lot of pushback!

1 Like

Yep, thereā€™s a world of difference between playing in a deep role as determined by tactical selection, and completely lacking the ability to play forwards. Dean Keates is another example in his Graydon incarnation.

1 Like

I completely agree with the majority of your sentiments Geordie. I can see the utility in playing a defensive midfielder in a team that doesnā€™t necessarily need to be reliant on creating and scoring yet still can be as equally effective and influential on the teamā€™s performance. The only exception and concession that I would make for this would be someone like Adam Chambers. He did not score or assist much at all in his time with us but I would argue that without him in that Dean Smith team, the success of that team would have been considerably different.

*Edit: I wrote this without seeing your recent post in relation to Adam Chambers @CompletelySaddled

Kinsella poor footballer but with 100 pct effort. Said before would be surprised if he stays in efl. Comley far better

Adam Chambers scored 2 goals in 288 appearances for Walsall. If we can find a fit and younger version I would be delighted.

2 Likes

I donā€™t see him dropping lower than league 2. Heā€™s a limited, average league 2 player. Does one job very well.

Regardless of this I wish him all the success in the world. If he were to prove me wrong Iā€™d be really happy for him.

1 Like

I think another team in league 2 will pick Kinsella up

Everyone is talking about 1 or 2 of Comley, Stirk and McEntee in front of a back 3, but Riley played in that position (on his own) in the second half on Tuesday night. Wasnā€™t really pushed by Leamington so canā€™t really judge his defensive/break-up play, but I thought he made a fist of getting us on the front foot either by a simple pass to Hutch or Milan just in front of him, or spreading it out to the wingbacks or front 2. Made us look a lot more attacking.

If Knowles is MSā€™s first choice at RWB, could this be the niche for Riley?

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t absolutely play a Riley there - I think I, and others, are commenting on what Sadler will most likely do.

I donā€™t think you have to be as cautious when you have 3 at the back.

McEntee didnā€™t play as a defensive midfielder either.

Played more as a number 8, linked up with Knowles really well on the right hand side and played a big part in DJā€™s goal.

I have my doubts whether he will stay in the efl. Time will tell

The system in both halves was much more a :-

3-1-4-2

Personally and I know most wonā€™t agree but for me it gives Hutch and the wing backs far more freedom to play if there are 2 holding players.

Two attacking players in the middle and all of a sudden the wing backs have more defensive responsibilities than they would if there are two.

The keys is having holding players not simply defending players.

Stirk and Riley are both capable of playing forwards and defending but I think Sadler is set on McEntee playing alongside Hutch with one behindā€¦.

1 Like

Insanity. Simply isnā€™t good enough to do that in League Two. Glad it worked against Leamington though.

2 Likes

Absolutely this.

To expand, one the last few years (and especially under Flynn) - we had almost a back 5 rather than having wing backs, and then two deep holding players who didnā€™t want to go forward. So very, very negative.

I could get behind 3142 - but itā€™s very niche and relies a lot on the quality of playersā€¦