WFC Player of the Season 20/21

Absolutely right.

Part of the problem, rather than the solution I’m afraid. The big problem our managers have had recently, is that because of his work rate - he’s almost undropable.

His best game this season was right back.

I’m afraid we need a better midfield of Perry and Kinsella next season if we want to go up. We really do need a midfielder who can provide a threat next to Perry if we are to progress.

1 Like

Without Adebayo’s goals we would have been relegated.

1 Like

Think there’s room for Kins in an Adam Chambers capacity, but not in a two man central midfield.

1 Like

I mean, it’s a different level, but Ngolo Kante has 2 assists this season. Considered one of the finest midfielders in world football and was phenomenal against Real Madrid the other night, through basically effort and ball winning then giving it to somebody, theoretically, “better” than him.

Rodri has played almost every game for City and will win the English title this season. 2 goals one assist.

Kalvin Phillips’ performances have meant he will probably play for England this summer. 2 assists.

I don’t say this to compare the players, obviously. But dirty work and giving 100 percent can make you a world class player, never mind a top of league two player.

9 Likes

All fair points, thank you.

I’d still be interested to know what stats are for those clubs at the top of league two. I honestly have no idea.

Just looking at Kante - 10 goals in 192 appearances in the Premier League. Kinsella has 1 goal in 140 league games with Walsall. He needs another 9 in 52 to register the same!

1 Like

Yeah, the reason I used those players because I have watched them myself. I don’t profess to have knowledge of how all the teams play in this league.

Looking at the top team, Cheltenham, they played 3 at the back the weekend, which probably means they have to play more creative players in midfield. When they play a 4 at the back Ellis Chapman has 21 appearances in the league this season, 0 assists or goals. Finn Azaz has 1 goal and 2 assists in 36 games this season.

Paul Digby at Cambridge has 34 appearances in midfield this season 0 goals or assists.

Lee and Williams, the base of the Bolton 4-2-3-1 the weekend have 2 goals and 1 assist in 40 games between them.

Virtually every club has a Kinsella. He is not the issue.

12 Likes

That’s the point yep.

You can’t expect to have a decent promotion challenging side with Perry and Kinsella. It won’t happen.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for those stats.

I’d still question the type of role those players play. Let’s compare with Chambers. He wasn’t just a player who broke up opposition play, he also read the game superbly well and helped to get everyone else doing what they needed to be doing. He was always, ALWAYS available for the pass, from the centre half, from another midfielder, from an attacker. He then did something simple with it, moved again and offered for the pass. He regularly picked up the ball from the keeper or central defenders and started our attacking phase, most often by a simple pass but also by moving forward into available space when he could. I don’t see any of this from Kinsella. I think you’re right in saying that a defensive midfielder can be accommodated but they have to offer something going forward and, by general admission on here, Kinsella doesn’t.

3 Likes

Shocked kinsella won player of the year. No goals no assists that I remember. Ok he runs around a lot but what does he really do poor man’s Taundry.

Holden the only player who have been on the list,

1 Like

Biggest issue we have is that we are so one-paced and incapable of stepping up a gear. Desperately need players capable of dictating play and increasing intensity and that has to start in the middle, Perry looks up to it but reservations about Bates.

2 Likes

100 percent. I am not arguing for a moment that Kinsella is as good as Chambers, or any of these players I mentioned above (obviously not the prem ones but even the players in our league).

I do think people get too hung up on a goals and assist ratio though to judge any players today, never mind midfielders. Those stats are from the automatic promotion places in this league. You don’t need all your midfielders to be doing that. In our squad, right now, he is the best ball winner and for my money out and out tackler as well. Does he recycle possession or read the game as well as Adam Chambers? In a word, no. But that was at higher level too.

I’d like to see him have a season with Perry. I think he’s the kind of player that could play next to him and get 5 or 6 goals and a few assists (because even the more creative central midfielders in the teams at the top of the league didn’t really get passed those figures). If Perry does that job and we are still struggling then obviously Kinsella needs to be upgraded.

2 Likes

I’d have gone Holden but the top three are the right top three.

No great argument with Kinsella winning it. He’s played a lot of games and he’s very enthusiastic. If next season is about finishing in the top 85 of the league then it is right that he stays as he is definitely up/down to that standard unlike most of his collleagues.

Three of the five players I would definitely keep feature large which is a good thing.

You do know the only reason Kinsella thrived is because Thanny went on about his position that much that Brian actually went with his comments on here and moved him to his best position,it’s all Thannys doing.

1 Like

We live to serve

2 Likes

You were right though mate can’t deny that.

1 Like

I remember Robbie Savage a few years ago being interviewed after a Welsh International game he was asked what the gameplan was. He said the gaffer told him the gameplan before the game which was “you win the ball and give it to Giggsy”
All Kinsella needs is a Giggsy to give it to.

2 Likes

Well done Kinsella throughly deserved 100% commitment and loyalty. Gives is all every game.

Well done Perry excellent start to your career some superb performances will no doubt go on and make a name for himself further up the leagues.

In what has been an awful season, its been a massive positive seeing our academy players coming through the ranks and long may it continue.

3 Likes

Agree

Probably contributed the most to our survival

Hoping for mid table then?

I think, this is exactly the problem.

Kinsella is never high enough, or on the front foot enough to give the ball to a “Giggsy” or A winger/wide forward. That’s the issue.

Just watch him next game - I reckon 75% of his passes are backwards or sidewards to the fullback. I’m not even kidding.