Old photos of Fellows Park

Still loads of Villa here when I do wear my colours get some strange looks I’m sure they think I’m an Arsenal fan

Was behind Railway End goal for that Gills match - keeper taking goal kick and seeing it come back to him was hilarious. Not sure if it went for a corner. The corner of the main stand near the Street End is where some corrugated sheeting was ripped off by the wind. On the way home my brother was hit on the back of the head by a massive cardboard box blown by the wind

1 Like

Agree 75-6 and 74- 5 programme covers were excellent with those different action pictures on them.

2 Likes

Miss Dianne Kroczek in the arms of Doug Devlin and Stan Jones. She was the Walsall Football Queen for the 1972-3 season. Sadly some of the players here no longer with us.

3 Likes

anyone have a full list of Walsall Football Queens? Hope this was given out along side ‘player of the season’

@sirraygraydon Here’s the 1980 winner… 18 year old Gail Pincher.

1 Like

Beginning to worry about you Dave, but can`t say i blame yer :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

A ‘Queens of Walsall Football Club’ thread is a good idea I reckon.

3 Likes

I do wonder what she looks like now at 58.

1 Like

a reunion needed…

1 Like

I imagine, neither is The Walsall Queen Competition (well, not for women anyway).:wink:

There were big hopes for Doug Devlin when he signed on a free from Wolves with a decent reputation (some of his contemporaries would have been Steve Daley, Barry Powell, Alan Sunderland), but he never made it. I think he probably played 10 to 15 games for us and that was it for his career.

Standing next to him is Brian Taylor of course, and I would suggest he is one of the most popular players ever to wear a Walsall shirt. Oh for a player with a tenth of his talent or commitment this season.

1 Like

Oh for a Taylor. Two Brians, Colin and Alex were all great for us. Sadly the latter’s time ended early by injury.

3 Likes

Yes @JumboTrudgeon Doug Devlin arrived with high hopes he’d have a good career but it never really took off for him. Tried his luck with Dundalk but only made 64 apps for them. Sadly Doug passed away in 2017 at 64 years of age.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind Mark, Daryl or Kris at the moment either.

1 Like

Always been a bit of a mystery this photo. Several well known players plus board members and Saddlers Club officials pictured outside the Saddlers Club at night.?Anyone know what this was all about?

I don’t know the answer, but am going to guess at Bonfire night! Kids, happy expectant looks on folks faces, winter clobber, and there’s a fella with an eye patch that must have got hit by a catherine wheel at the previous year’s do.

5 Likes

Happy 36th Anfield Anniversary to those old enough to remember it!
I must have spent the following week thinking about almost nothing but the second leg at FP.

5 Likes

Was a memorable night, none of this playing the kids team.Liverpool put out their best 11and we matched em.

3 Likes

Absolutely buzzing that night - so much so that I didn’t even noticed until I’d come down from the adrenalin high the next day that I’d got 2 cracked ribs from being pushed into a crush barrier as part of celebrations for our second goal (ouch! :woozy_face:)

4 Likes