Old photos of Fellows Park

Yep, more than matched I would say. Mini Preece was the best player on the pitch.
Like you say, no third stringers that night for the Scousers, Liverpool were about to win the title for the third season running, were three months away from winning the European Cup, but Joe Fagan respected us, the competition and the game of football. A great night.

6 Likes

Ouch!

I didn’t initially celebrate the second goal because I thought it was offside, and promptly got swept about 20 yards down through the crowd that did celebrate while I was looking over at the linesman.

What a great night. Still one of my best memories of being a Saddler. When Summerfield’s lob went in, I experienced some of the best emotions I’ve ever had at a football match. It took till 2001 and Byfield’s winner at Cardiff to get near that again.

Someone has made our man in Brazil, Kleberton Felix, a very happy man by sending him this.

What a lovely gesture by one of our fans.

5 Likes

Exactly what happened to me - except the crowd swept me forward right onto the corner of a barrier that miraculously appeared in front of me as everyone else swerved round it.

I agree a really fabulous night for us fans…I doubt we will ever see another one like it. The Premier League have taken all the fun out of these competitions and if are successful again we will end up playing a bunch of 18 year olds. I actually felt sorry for the Salop lot the other night…it no way could it match our experience of 36 years ago.

1 Like

They respected us that much they brought Souness in for the second leg and he made a big difference. How different to today when the big clubs only respect money.

1 Like

Brilliant memories but unfortunately I wasn’t there due to service commitments but I listened to it live on the radio and vividly remember going loopy as the match unfolded…

I know from mates and relatives that were there, it was an unbelievable night and a massive moment in our history - 90 minutes from a cup final! :weary:

That match, Cardiff, and the 0-0 v Preston probably the top three most emotional times in my years of being a Saddler. Matched Liverpool that night when they were probably the best club side in the world. Glad we have memories like that to get us through the rough times right now.

4 Likes

They were all fantastic experiences, but the most emotional for me was Swindon - finally got to see us actually win something.

2 Likes

I missed Swindon… and Bristol City, and Tranmere, but was there for Oldham and Notts County

90 minutes from Europe as well!!

3 Likes

Every match that was great about supporting Walsall that has been mentioned on this thread I have been to, and that is why I feel so aggrieved now

3 Likes

I see from your programme it was a 7.30 kick off. Pretty much every game was 7.30 back then, so when did we all start kicking off at 19.45, and what was the reason? Anyone know?

Think the reason was simply traffic congestion with the extra fifteen minutes designed to give a bit more time to get home then get to the match after a typical 9-5 working day.

Think it started in London then spread. Indeed some London and satellite clubs now kick-off at 8pm presumably for the same reason.

That Milk Cup game my first trip to Liverpool. Magic, if a bit scary night.

7.45 pm KO’s at Bescot came in at the start of the 1991-2 season

I thought they started some time in the early 90s, wasn’t sure exactly when.

1 Like

So that’s another thing we can blame on that there London then. :grinning:

1 Like

Here’s some photo’s from the great night at Anfield. I love the fact that Kevin Summerfield took his kit to the match in a plastic carrier bag from the butchers.

I also remember Peter Hart saying that at the end of the match Ian Rush came up to him shook hands and said “Well played Peter”.Hart said it made his night to know that Rush knew his name!

4 Likes