Oldham Athletic (A) Tuesday 15th Dec, 7.00pm

"The ever-green Pine!"

(Scott)

Our ability to get results from games involving North-West clubs has another test this week with a visit to Boundary Park, and three points from this one would certainly put us in the chasing pack for a promotion place. The Latics stuttered and spluttered at the start of the season, but much-improved recent performances have seen them rise to 15th place, only a point behind us. Australian Harry Kewell is their current manager - he’s the latest in a rapid merry-go-round in that role … in the past 2 years Oldham have tried 7 managers (Paul Scholes lasted 31 days!!). There are no ex-Saddlers in their current playing squad, but previous examples include the following:-

John Kelly (1989-91) Signed from Oldham, went on to Huddersfield Town
Neil Tolson (1991-92) Started with us, moved to Oldham
Darren Byfield (2009-11, 2nd spell) Signed from Oldham, went on to Solihull Moors
Peter Skipper (1989-91) Signed from Oldham, went on to Wrexham
Anthony Gerrard (2005-09) Signed from Everton, thence to Cardiff City, and Oldham (2016-18)

Latics’ current League 2 form goes like this:-

November 14th Scunthorpe United (H) Lost 0-2
November 21st Exeter City (A) Won 1-2
November 24th Barrow (A) Won 3-4
December 1st Tranmere Rovers (H) Lost 0-1
December 5th Cambridge United (A) Won 1-2
December 12th Bradford City (H) Won 3-1

Is it too much to hope that Darrell Clarke will announce a hat-trick of unchanged teamsheets for this one? The old adage does say that you should never change a winning team, and one definite benefit seen in the last 2 games has been the absence of “gift goals”. What might also be significant is the possibility that in Jack Rose the defence is operating with a greater degree of confidence. Each game that goes by also sees Josh Gordon’s fitness improving, and it should be noted that against Bolton Wanderers we had no need to call on the skills of Guthrie - we seem to be “gelling”…

Prediction? Even though Oldham are 4 places below us in the League 2 table, they’ve scored 7 more goals than we have (but managed to concede 11 more than us) - so it looks as though a goal-less draw is highly unlikely. If we can maintain the reluctance to give goals away, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t come away with 3 points. Go for a 0-1 scoreline, with another Rory Holden rocket!

UTS

2 Likes

Oldham 2-4 Walsall

1 Like

2-2 to keep this little unbeaten run going goals from gordon, scarr, got a feeling we are due a defensive calamity so I’m also going to chuck a kinsella OG in the mix

1-1 for me and that will be ok against an improving team.

2 Likes

Id take a draw here, it was a big effort on Saturday and the quality in our squad is threadbare if we need to make a few changes. I predict another tight game anyway, probably a 1-1

1 Like

I predict it will be cold.

2 Likes

I’d take a draw we haven’t won there since 2013 a 1-0 away win Baxendale with the winner 0-0 cold and wet hard fought point.

2 Likes

I remember that horrible plastic pitch, it was the downfall of many away teams, i would be happy with a draw 1-1

Got to be an improvement on that absolutely dire performance I sat through last year, but that wouldn’t be hard. We will reverse that result and win 2-0.

Baxendale, there’s a blast from the past (praps not )

I remember a Frankie Bunn hat trick o that pitch

2 Likes

Another bostin win coming up.

I said 2-1 or 3-1 on Saturday and I’ll go for the same in this one.

If there’s any upside to this virus malarkey, it’s that our loyal bunch haven’t got to freeze their nuts off at Boundary Park on a Tuesday night in December.

Given that it’s only a half hours drive from me I would have loved to have the opportunity of being there on Tuesday, nuts suitably protected from the biting cold :peanuts: :peanuts:

2 Likes

Time for that old friend 1-1 draw.

They’ve picked up big time aswell in recent weeks and I’d be happy with a point aswell.

Went to that. Was right at the start of the season and was pretty mild so I’ve been pretty lucky with my trips to Oldham, went the following year which was 2-1 loss and weather was o.k then aswell.

Stoke easily coldest ground for me in mid winter. Deadly there.

1 Like

Correct mate it was the beginning of the season we opened up with a 3-1 win at home to Tranmere Westcarr scored a couple Lalkovic with the other.

Who remembers losing there 1-0 in 2016?

Did we ever play them on the plastic pitch Chunk?

1 Like

Yes mate, we couldn’t cope with the bounce, even after they had dumped a load of sand all over it, but they were used to it, fans at the time thought (quite rightly) that it gave them an advantage.

1 Like

I went when they played on the plastic. We got there late firstly cos there was an accident on the M6, secondly, the driver took us to Old Trafford first :grinning:

We were 3-0 down when we got there, there was only me and my Dad on the coach that bothered going in the match. I also saw Preston beat us on their plastic pitch. Totally unfair advantage as far as I am concerned, I’m glad there are no league clubs with one now, although they would probably be much better now.

1 Like