Patience

I’m still for giving this time, but you can’t have it both ways. You can’t say DC is stuck with crap Keates players as a defence, and point to the biggest summer turnover of players in the league .

3 Likes

Remind me how many players did Keates sign? And how many of the 'crud" still played almost every game that season despite this?

1 Like

This is the unfortunate truth that some don’t wish to admit. Apparently Devlin was the most abysmal right back we’ve ever had and yet keates signed two players to play that position and neither could displace him from the team. I’m never going to knock keates as a player, he is a Walsall legend but your assessment of the damage he did in one season as a manager isn’t far off.

As for Clarke, give him time. I’m yet to be properly convinced but he has a good track record and high qualifications. He’s not only had to bring in a whole new squad, he also has to reset a negative, losing mentality which has been at the club for a season and a half.

5 Likes

There is a blind spot towards Keates as a Manager because of his success as a Player. Some people simply refusing to see the damage he caused.

I repeat because DC inherited a playing and coaching setup rotten to the core.

1 Like

Agreed, I’m of the belief he did more damage than Whitney!

1 Like

Indeed if Keates and his team were so great, we would:

• be in a higher league
  • not had 23 out and 17 in during the close season
  • have former players ripping it up in higher divisions (Scotland does NOT count)
  • be raking in millions from transfers

You missed having to rebuild our academy from the list.

What world are we living in where Keates gets a free ride? Bloke was (rightly) hounded out of the club.

It’s gone now. Clarke has made enough changes to be judged by his own decisions, as Keates was after Whitney.

Which of Keates’ signings are “ripping it up in higher divisions”?

None. Who is saying they are?

I read Afkal’s post wrong. Sorry :smile:

1 Like

No problem, I rarely make sense.

i can tell you miss baka!

Good god no :joy:

Why on earth would a league two team miss a striker who now plays for a team near the top of league one?!?!

Keates put the club back years with his decisions but we can’t say that as he was a legend

He’s not a very good striker. Watching him last night basically confirmed everything we knew about Bakayoko’s quality.

1 Like