Photos of fellows park

Well there’s one who likes an uncovered end.

1 Like

Anyone mentioned the old Chesterfield ground? That away end was uncovered. I remember going one midweek game and it looked like rain was on its way so we paid £1 extra to sit in the seats. I then got bollocked by a steward for lighting up a cigar. I hadn’t noticed the stand was wooden :grimacing:

Went a number of times to Saltergate. We were always given a warm welcome by the Chesterfield fans weren’t we?

Quite a number of hard cases would make their way up to the fencing in the corner that separated us from them and give us 45 minutes of verbal abuse and some interesting hand gestures before they sloped back off to the home end to watch the 2nd half.

Totally unconnected, one of my work colleagues (a Bath City fan) sent me this photo this morning:

I think he was having a go at the wonky crush barriers …

4 Likes

Is that a ghost @AndyWTaylor?

4 Likes

He must have got that from here:

As great as Twerton Park is, in terms of an old-fashioned ground that is always worth visiting, I don’t think any Bath City supporter is a position to criticise Fellows Park! Toilets with no lights, leaky roofs, crumbling terraces, obscured views, TP has it all - love it though🙂 ( and they own it).

Loved that first view of FP when you get to the top of the steps, particularly the excitement on big matchdays/nights. I’ll never forget it.

1 Like

I was going to ask exactly the same thing…

1 Like

Strange unless it is photographer’s daughter.

1 Like

@Andy_Petterson No ghost mate! The little girl is Vanessa Jenkins as was (now Evans) picture taken by her dad Ron who sent this picture to the Felloes Park Facebook page in 2016. He worked at the ground and thought it would be nice for his little girl to be in the view of the pitch from the steps at the Street End.

5 Likes

Remember going to Griffin park in 87 with a mate only managed to do 2 of the pubs then just managing to get in the ground and eventually falling asleep leaning up one of the barriers a bit worse for ware. 0-0 it finished the away end was open as I can remember back then.

2 Likes

I think we were on the side terrace that day if I remember correctly.

Loved the whole match day experience of fellows park .I was only a kid but really looked forward to each Match day .
Starting by walking up wallows lane with my dad and brother looking to see how many couches of away fans had made the trip . Then paying a nicker to get in , once in would just go for a wonder and stand wherever I wanted . Go and get some police cards off the copper walking round the perimeter. Before the buzz of anticipation began to rise at 2.50 .
The big games created a terrific atmosphere compared to the bescot.
It was a ■■■■ hole but it was our ■■■■ hole with character and I loved it .

6 Likes

I agree, I did too. Whether it was the atmosphere or simply because I was younger and loved the whole experience, I’m not sure but I will say match days felt special.

2 Likes

I went to Griffin park early eighties I’m sure we stood behind the goal and it was uncovered I know it shook when a jumbo came over

Hello. :slightly_smiling_face:

I last went to Griffin Park when Merson was manager, it would have been NYD, or maybe January 2nd, and we were behind the goal on an open terrace and it was one of the coldest games I’ve been to. The rather pleasant pub on the corner (not sure which one) was a distant memory as I realised only bringing one coat was an error, three or four might have done the trick.
We lost as well, 2-0 sounds right but not totally sure. Paul McShane played, I remember that, and we were rubbish.

I was about 14 when I first went we lost 3-0 and it was cold

I remember winning at Brentford in 82-83, and Lee Sinnott scored one of the three goals. That was April, so not too cold.

2 Likes

Goo on, gizza clue.