Plymouth Argyle (A) Tues 22nd Jan, 7.45pm

"There’s no discouragement
Shall make him once relent
His first avow’d intent
To be a Pilgrim"

(Bunyan)

The sheer unpredictability of this Walsall side was evident on Saturday as Dean Keates’ team ended a dismal winless run by taking Gillingham apart, and based on that performance it’s very tempting to think of us having a Barnsley-esque meteoric rise up the League One table. What has clearly been shown is that Andy Cook has undoubted scoring ability when presented with the kind of opportunity that comes with accurate service. The only cautionary note comes from comments seen on Gillingham’s equivalents of UTS where there was a lack of comprehension as to why their defence was such a complete disgrace, gifting us those three goals…

Be that as it may, here is the ideal challenge - another away fixture against a team apparently in good form. Argyle may occupy a relegation place but their 3 games in January have produced maximum points, transforming a season that started wretchedly when they only gathered 3 points from their first 10 games (including losing at Bescot in the opening game, of course). Current League One form for the Pilgrims:-

22 Dec Accrington Stanley (H) Lost 0-3
26 Dec AFC Wimbledon (A) Lost 2-1
29 Dec Burton Albion (A) Drew 1-1
1 Jan Oxford United (H) Won 3-0
12 Jan Southend United (A) Won 2-3
19 Jan Coventry City (H) Won 2-1

Almost as pleasing as the three points on Saturday was the achievement of a “clean sheet”, and a few more of those wouldn’t go amiss in the interests of improving what is still a worrying goal difference of -11. Argyle, however, also have problems in that direction having shipped 50 goals so far and running a goal difference of -14. The next few games will show whether Dean Keates’ activity in the transfer window really has shored up our full-back situation, strengthening the defence while still having Nicky Devlin and Luke Leahy free to go marauding upfield to provide the kind of service on which Andy Cook thrives. The acquisition of Matt Jarvis must also not be overlooked - having previously played for Gillingham there were consistent comments on their message board bemoaning the fact that they hadn’t gone for him.

Prediction? Based on Saturday’s performance I’m seriously considering driving down to the West Country to see this one, and a repeat of the season’s opener could well be on the cards. Another Saddlers away win coupled with another clean sheet … 0-2 with goals from Andy Cook (naturally) and Joe Edwards.

UTS

4 Likes

A draw for me…another long journey for us. Probably 2-2.

Funny one. In reality a draw would be okay. 4 points from 2 away games is a respectable number but given the opposition I see this as a bit of a must win like Gillingham to pull us away from that bottom 4.

1-1

Winning 4 on the bounce is tough. Our result yesterday will give everyone us lift.

1-3

Cook, Jarvis and Devlin

Bump!! :wink:

Afraid it’s iFollow for me as I can’t make it to Plymouth on a Tuesday night. (Ha! and I call myself a supporter? :roll_eyes: )

I’d take a draw. ifollow really is a double edged sword. The idea is that they are trying to put the longer away journeys on in the week so that more people will use the facility and then potentially away attendances at a weekend with more favourable locations will go up because it saves you having to fork out for places like Plymouth.

But I can see this having a massive negative effect on performances. We’ve struggled a lot recently with midweek away games especially when travelling reasonably far.

Id also guard against being blinded by the weekend. I think it was a clear kick back at recent performances. Will the same intensity be there?

I’d snap your hand off for a draw.

3 Likes

Best price 2/1 which seems s bit stingy.

The odds will no doubt change between now and kick-off, but Betfair have Argyle as the 2.4 favourite, Saddlers at 2.8 and the draw at 3.5

A repeat Walsall scoreline of 0-3 is currently 26.0 :wink:

So in old money 2.8 is 9/5

Would take a point gladly aswell. Think Plymouth will just edge it 1-0 as they’ve started their annual post January dash to 8th with winning last three.

Rochdale and Wimbledon at home coming up are more important I think.

I think it’s easy to underestimate the effect of two of the longest trips of the season in such quick succession. I’d take a draw. 0-0 ,and another clean sheet would be good.

Would u drop Guthrie and play scar and Johnson? I personally wouldn’t change a team that just won and kept a clean sheet.

Think scarr will start on the bench

Drop Guthrie? He is our best defender!!!

Not sure about that but it’s interesting to note the relative excitement today of signing a defender who played a bit part in Wycombe’s team last season a division below with the fact that Guthrie was also a young player who had played far more games, both at our level and the division below. I don’t Guthrie is that bad at all but what he needs is a loud, commanding centre half next to him. I hope the new man is going to be that player.

To be fair Guthrie has performed much better with younger players next to him like Johnson and Fitzwater as apposed to his terrible performances with Martin.

I don’t want experience I want good. Time will tell if this guy is any good.

For his faults he is also easily the best out and out defender at the club at the minute. it’s like being the best looking person in a 25 stone plus beauty contest, but even so.

Dan Scarr has played one EFL cup tie all season for Blues when they put out a very scratch team at Reading.

He last played for Wycombe on 10th March last year so we’re talking about CB with very little senior match practice in last year.

I would still like to see a senior CB signed (wasn’t there talk of James Wilson coming back) so you’ve got a senior head hopefully who can actually lead a bit better than Martin, mid ranged experienced CB in Guthrie and then two young 'uns in Scarr and Johnson.

Any reason for this do you know, injury? I was hoping he was a key member of their promotion winning side.

A win tonight and we could be 12th and surprisingly a point behind Blackpool in 8th​:face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow: