Plymouth Argyle (H) August 4th, 3.00pm

Well well well! Really enjoyed that, sorry Gareth et al, you can keep your international footy, nothing beats the feeling of nervously holding an odd goal lead for 20 minutes whilst it’s like the Alamo!

I thought we were the better team for most of the match, save for a 10 min spell first half and the 70-80 minute mark. The first ten minutes was all us, and when we forced 4 corners in a row, we really had them under the cosh. Some corner kick practice required please, it’s no point winning them if we don’t at least beat the first man. Interesting to see us line up England style for the first one in the second half too.

Agree with much of the summary above, Leahy and Devlin played very similarly to last season, although I thought Luke came into the game more second half and his free kick was just beautiful.

Ferrier the Terrier was great, a real handful, and Cook will cause problems to many defences. If we can get these pair to read each others game, we are in for a treat.

Cook nearly bost the crossbar with the pen which bounced off the keeper, but I loved the quick reactions to finish the job. Their goal was very much against the run of play and we switched off for a second.

Great excitement though, and I am genuinely delighted that we saw the game out. I was actually preparing myself for the disappointment of the late equaliser, as it is normally the way we roll at home.

Can’t wait for the next game…haven’t said that for a while!

Really enjoyed the game today. We certainly matched Plymouth, had more clear cut chances and deserved to win. Very encouraging performance. The players showed passion, commitment and no little skill. George Dobson was the best player on the pitch - awesome display of complete midfield play: he broke up play, sprayed passes around and got forward. Other stand out performers were Ginnelly, Ferrier and the central defensive duo - they play as a partnership. Cook played okay but I thought he was dominated a bit by their number 5. Leahy was a bit shaky defensively but his goal was class. Devlin put in a great shift and made some good blocks. All-in-all, very encouraging. We still need central defensive and central midfield cover. Another striker would be good being as Ferrier is Baka’s replacement and not our third striker. As for Plymouth, I expected a few hundred more supporters. They thought they just had to turn up to win: as Greavsy said: “It’s a funny old game”. UTS.

1 Like

Yes, they needed 800 more tickets but I spotted quite a few empty seats behind the goal. Fair play to them though, apparently that is one of their shortest away trips this season!

That was ace.

Loved it. All of it.

2 Likes

i wonder what the betting is for us now? :wink:

Despite his defensive weaknesses Leahy has a wonderful left foot and if he gets a sight on goal id bank on him to at least hit the target. I think he will vastly improve under keates. Worth his place in the team

This comment on the Plymouth forum sums us up well today:

Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:36 pm Post
Walsall were decent enough, who says they are relegation favourites? They look a capable midtable unit, solid at the back, physical at the front and pace on the counter. We’ll play far worse than that.

I feel we may surprise a few this season.

2 Likes

Agree with that. Landed at Heathrow earlier this week, looking forward to the game - then read the doom and gloom on here. Then came Friday, then today! Absolutely brilliant!

(PS Much better than watching on IFollow…)

1 Like

UTS is very much a doom and gloom site just lately, whatever topic. We are already relegated to hear some of the so called faithful !

I know it’s early, and one game doesn’t mean much, but first impressions of Cook and Ferrier is that the look like the perfect league one strike force.

Cant wait for them both to be fully fit and used to the standard of the league.

2-1 win over a highly-fancied Pilgrims side? That was a nice surprise.

I don’t think it is. I think supporters were entitled to be worried after last season and the lack of transfer activity until Friday. We played very well today and Keates has obviously instilled some solidity into the team. We still need at least two players: a central defender and a central midfielder - I think Chambers will miss a few games this season. But, things look a lot more positive than they did this time last week that’s for sure.

Very positive, first game I’ve enjoyed for a while and what a sight to see out manager making tactical changes in a game!m for once. I saw a 4-4-2, a 4-4-1-1, a 5-4-1, and a 4-5-1 all implemented at some point during the second half and we looked comfortable adapting to them.

Regarding the game we had much the better side of the game, and deserved the victory. Leahy shouldn’t be on the field at LB, liability and just because he can strike a good free kick it doesn’t mean he is good.

Played as a team for the most part and I feel that as the season progresses, if we have the same effort, desire and spirit we had yesterday, we might finally have our Walsall back.

Special mention for Kinsella who did really well in CM, and Kieron Morris too as when he came on, I feel he played a lot better than I’ve seen in recent months. Keep it coming!

3 Likes

Video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AX3QjlzJiwOA_2z7knvc5pplwbmjUu4l/view?usp=drivesdk

1 Like

Penalty

https://youtu.be/n6iyhNevlLA

Now blocked…

Free kick

https://youtu.be/f_l9ag2leP4

Now blocked…

(Took them longer than usual.)

See, you can talk sense when you’re not completely out your tree. :smiley::wink:

Players like Kinsella and Morris need to be the capable squad players we desire - rather than bringing in Senior Pro’s to kick their heels in the Reserves for most the season.

If they can’t do this, then DK will I am sure move them on.

I also think its a matter of time before Wilson replaces Devlin.

Many thanks for this video hkpete!!! The “highlights” that used to be shown on Channel 5 in the UK are now on “Quest” channel, which isn’t available here in deepest Wales. I refuse to pay Sky’s exorbitant subscriptions, so your contribution is very welcome - you’re a star… :wink:

Can you not get it on freeview?