Pomlett and what he has done for the club

I agree with much of what you say here, and I always enjoy your thoughtful, intelligent comments on this board. But I do think you’re under a misapprehension regarding the board directors. It’s quite normal and proper for a board to consist of both executive and non-executive directors and I wouldn’t generally expect an executive director to be putting money in. Their role is day to day and pivotal to the running of the business. The SLO you could argue about. And certainly there are questions to be asked about the non-execs and what they contribute.

3 Likes

It wasn’t the worst financial crisis in our history. The government and football league made provision for clubs to borrow money. Pomlett preferred not to.

Nothing compared to when Ramsden went tits up leaving the club technically insolvent or when we “couldn’t afford” to buy the freehold from Severn Trent and a certain opportunist stepped in .

4 Likes

Spot on.

I wasn’t saying it was or it wasn’t, I was just pointing out that a lot of us helped and Pombear didn’t do it all on his own.

Not true. ITV Digital and credit crunch I’d imagine take that mantle, as well as nearly going out of business in the 80s

Surely the absolute minimum a chairman has to do.

I mean, barely. The tills work now. The toilets still don’t.

Hmm, not sure about ruin. We’re a well run club, according to both his predecessor and himself.

2 Likes

David was. Meant to be replying to him - soz

1 Like

Wow that’s a huge loss for such a small cafe!

As Cully or Phil has often said on here; if anyone actually takes the time to look at the figures of the businesses this guy is involved with, they are absolutely shockingly bad!

LP seems too nice to me. When was the last time you said that about a successful businessman? Lacks that cutthroat approach needed to run a club. Its harsh, but it’s absolutely no use to us right now being a ‘nice bloke’ with a list as long as your arm of people that should have been handed their P45s.

5 Likes

Although I enjoyed some of the games attended pre-Christmas, I’ve got to say looking at the whole picture from now to May, it just looks - dare I say boring, and not just boring, but boring AGAIN. That to me is what I’m beginning to associate with Pomlett’s tenure.

I still don’t see any real style or identity, we’re still waiting for “the plan”, every summer is just another rebuild with the number of players on loan, there’s little to nothing coming through the academy - and the young players we have just seem to stagnate and vanish just at the time they should be flourishing as first-team regulars. Cup football :rofl: it literally doesn’t figure year on year.

Can anyone honestly look at next season under this regime, or even two or three seasons hence and realistically imagine us re-established as a third tier club? All I see at best is more of the same, and just about surviving as a league club. People said Fullarton would need more than one transfer window before being judged, fair enough, we’re in a transfer window now and the only reason there is no activity is because we havn’t got anyone worth selling.

6 Likes

We are always ‘just waiting’ for something. Give them time. It will be the next transfer window when we show some ambition. They will sort the issues in pre-season. We will be okay when xxxx returns.

This argument wears thin when you see that post that identified this board of directors have been in place for a collective 120+ years!

We were actually in a better position at this point last season because we had Adebayo and Jules to sell - they were our players.

Quite what happens when all of our loanees go back I can only imagine. It is literally no better at this Football Club than it was last season, any success we have had is built on other clubs players.

We are treading water, helped by loanees. These players will go. What then?

4 Likes

To be fair there isn’t a club in this division, or the one above that fills there entire loan quota and relies on them to some extent. And I’m not even sure we rely on ours. Rushworth 100 percent. Very good keeper already at this level. And Miller is the only striker at the club so by proxy we rely on him.

But the others? Shade and Phillips have been awful and are bit part. I’m amazed at the clamour for Phillips to play. He’s cored a few goals but I don’t think I have ever seen him effect a game. Has he ever ran a defence ragged? or taken a defender apart with skill? Or even just helped press? I don’t know what he does. And we have signed Menayese up.

But I agree about the same old, we will see in the summer, posts. I was arguing against those last season and the season before when that was trotted out. I think the issue is we need to build around those loans, because they are just a reality at this level, financially and quality wise.

Id send Shade and Phillips back tbh.

2 Likes

I’d certainly send one or the other back. Our wing options are now Wilkinson, Khan, Kiernan, Phillips, Shade and we only have one striker at the club and one left back and that would free us up to bring in both even if just on loan if we’re not spending anything.

Probably Shade, but don’t really mind.

2 Likes

I think you’ve been watching too many episodes of The Apprentice, Funk.

Loads and loads of examples of successful businessmen who are also “nice blokes” (or blokesses).

5 Likes

I want signings this month and decent ones how can we be going for it if we settle for mid table which is what will happen unless we add a few players?

Agreed, but their niceness does not extend to if the business is not excelling. If they are successful business people anyway.

My boss at Pirate Studios was a lovely, soft-natured hippy, but as soon as Covid hit 3 departments, even though they were very successful at the time, had to go, including myself.

I am sorry but I just don’t see that in LP. Jilted by Clarke, held on to Dutton, no new changes in ops; every time a tough business decision has had to be made, right from the very start, the bloke has failed, which is potentially why his businesses are losing buckets. Blind faith in the Banks Boys Clique will be the end of this setup.

2 Likes

Dave, your not the random Walsall fan who I met on the ferry in NYC afew years ago? Who had moved to the states from Walsall as a kid?

(Me on the right on Ellis Island)

Seems a nice fella, got no reason to assume he is not well intentioned. Has no idea how to run a football club, nor does he employ people (gamble/mole) who have a clue, and continues to have them and the likes of whalley on the Board.

2 Likes

I wish I hadn’t - bad decision by me. :-1:

1 Like

Already overseen one. Relegation. For a start.

As by his own admission was. Completely running club and making all decisions a good. six months before he officially took over.

2 Likes