Pomlett bashing

It’s not the fault of the WSA, but poor answers to the last lot of questions in my opinion.

Right from day 1 the budget appeared to be taking a massive hit on the playing side and Clarke wasn’t able to get the players he wanted. Why?. Then after securing the season ticket money and telling the fans ‘were doing ok’. Low and behold a few weeks later. Err were not OK. So we sell our 2 best players on the cheap allegedly raking in the best part of £0.500m (allegedly). What a kick in the nuts that was. Then instead of getting decent replacements. We sign osei. Who looks no better than a Sunday league player. Then Clarke leaves. Now Leigh L this is the chance to restore some credibility so what do you do appoint the cheapest option. Dutton. A bloke whose inexperienced and never played league football. You don’t make good decisions like you say. You make terrible one’s.

2 Likes

Wrong thread it’s the spanking thread for those comments.

1 Like

As I said in a previous Post, the vast majority of fans - in fact perhaps all - were pleased with DC’S appointment and the vast majority of the signings in his 1st Season.

The Club battles on against the backdrop of the worst financial crisis I can I recall.

I’m not seeing anything from Dutton to suggest it will only get worse but just how many options were available to us?

Lots of people on here using hindsight as a base for their comments and forgetting about what they thought at the time.

3 Likes

I stand by what I say. How can you say you make good decisions when you’ve left us in free fall towards the conference

And therein lies the root of the trouble ‘at mill’, no matter what lies the current ‘board’ might feed to us plebs, one man and his family Pension Fund still run the show, I feel sure every decision our inept board currently make has to be ‘ratified’ by the boss.

2 Likes

I’m not having that. Clarke and his cherry picked signings have probably been the biggest disappointments since they arrived at the Club.

Clarke, Guthrie, Sinclair, Gaffney, Sadler and Liddle were all brought in by Clarke to in his words “set standards and control the dressing room” and they’ve all been poor.

IMO this is the biggest problem that Pomlett needs to sort out, as if you let the manager dictate transfer policy then you’re always starting from scratch every two years as managers frequently leave.

Get a proper, identifiable football structure in place that can plan 2, 3 or even 5 years into the future in terms of both the player and staff recruitment.

Brentford has to be the blueprint that a Club in our position aspires to replicate. Look what happened when Smith left there, did they implode like us? Not a chance, because there’s a bigger picture than the current manager and playing squad. Since then they’ve kicked on and look destined for the Premier League.

I really hope we try something different, because we’re currently just sinking to new lows every season.

26 Likes

It’s a valid question mate and one i’d like the answer to also.We are dropping closer and closer as each week/games go by,we are in a terrible position really we have a poor squad no goal scorers no creativity can’t keep a clean sheet for toffee and we have an inexperienced manager left to sort it all out.I’d say we are in the worst position out of any team in league two right now apart from the league position which in a few weeks time will fall in line with where we are.

2 Likes

What was your view of DC’S appointment-at the time?

I thought it was a sound appointment. But Tom WFC is wrong to say Clarke got the players he wanted. He often publicly said he was forced into signing 5th, 6th and even 7th choices.

Didn’t think he’d done a lot apart from getting Salisbury promoted and Bristol Rovers out of the non league with a very good budget as they had a few thousand every week I wasn’t struck from day one hate to say it but I was right.

2 Likes

Spot on. Fans got the Manager we wanted and said Manager then got his targets he wanted.

It hasn’t worked out in fact has been a disaster.

It’s called life folks

4 Likes

You are obviously one of the tiny majority who thought that at the time.

1 Like

No he didn’t get the targets he wanted. Like I said he often referred to having to sign 6th and 7th choices.

There you go.

I don’t remember those comments but if they were said, then you copy and paste those for almost every Manager in the Country barring the Premier League elite.

1 Like

Yes they were said. No just once quite a number of times

I read about his interviews and his attitude whilst at Bristol Rovers even read somewhere about him having to take down “Clarke Out” banners from the training ground and slagging the fans off so I wasn’t struck straight away.I wish he’d have got us promoted obviously but would never have liked the man and I never will.

1 Like

As I said, same scenario as so many other Managers in the Country.

I thought that the Chairman had said at one point that we had got every player that Clarke had asked for, which would suggest that those would have been first choices.

4 Likes

The recruitment was shocking wasn’t it wow could we have put together a worse squad than this? Surely Leigh can see that and I’m sure he can see how massive this summer is going to be with plenty being released and hopefully correctly chosen replacements already in mind.