Pomlett, Gambole, Mole, Fullerton

Get the decade right!

(Copyright Jeff Bonser)

2 Likes

The depression on here is astounding to me but it is early days yet. I wonā€™t repeat what I have written elsewhere but I am not depressed and think we will get better as the season progresses. We need 2 forwards and if we sign them before the deadline we will be ok.

1 Like

They wonā€™t sort anything itā€™s all to late now, if there was any real plan it would have been executed by now. There is literally no one available apart from loans, and I think we are almost at our limit.

So that leaves permanent signings, which we have no track record of making.

1 Like

Donā€™t take this the wrong way, but you clearly donā€™t have an ounce of ambition in you.

1 Like

Itā€™s time to manage our own expectations

Itā€™s safe to say weā€™ve got a good measure of LP now, how he operates and what he is able to deliver based on what he promises

Pointless us trying to hold the bloke to account

Got to accept heā€™s going to over promise and under deliver

Letā€™s just stick it out until he moves on / passes on the batton

He has the best of intentions and cares

1 Like

:grinning: Thanks for that. Its one of the nicest comments about my view I have read but it is not a correct assumption. I want us back in Division 1 as soon as possible and I am sure everyone at the club does to. Sometimes in life you have setbacks and it is how you tackle those that defines you. We are having a bad spell but we have the talent in that team to have a real go at this League with a couple of additions.

3 Likes

Listen Iā€™m 41, the last time we fielded a half decent team I was 35ā€¦ itā€™s more than a bad spell. :rofl:

2 Likes

But ā€˜being okā€™ isnā€™t acceptable.

1 Like

It is after last season and the start so far. Iā€™d say 10th to 12th is okay. Anything better than that and we are in overachieving territory this season. That isnā€™t lack of ambition on my part, it is just realism and facing the facts of where we are as a club.

As someone said above, itā€™s more than a bad spell, you donā€™t halt that after 4 games.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think we will be the next Bury.

In many ways, I believe that fear of being the next Bury is what holds us back. Rather than seeking how to be the next Doncaster or Rotherham we quake in fear of any financial risk leading to a Bury type outcome.

Iā€™m fairly convinced we are on our way to becoming another Chesterfield or Notts County or Wrexham.

No big surprise to be honest. Hurts like hell. But this is where we have been headed for a while. The natural extrapolation of that six year line which in itself was in reality set in motion from January 2008 onwards. A runaway train that was temporarily halted by Dean Smith and Richard Oā€™Kelly but subsequent to their departure (and I honestly canā€™t blame them for leaving - they had to build two very good teams from the usual scraps the Walsall FC offers its managers) that train started again and has done nothing but gain significant momentum since.

8 Likes

I agree with you about the last few years.My remarks related to the new regime and should be read in that context. I am nearly twice your age and badly want to see a decent team before I can no longer go to the stadium. In that sense I am a man in a hurry but I do think that we can prosper soon with a couple of signings up front. I accept I may be wrong but time will tell.

2 Likes

I would agree with most of that except Wrexham have signed the leading scorer from League 2 last season and Chesterfield have spent money on Tshimanga who was constantly mentioned on here. Even Notts County appear to have spent money on a striker from Chesterfield.

1 Like

Oh arr. They are all coming back to be bigger, better and stronger than us. I was just referring to them being similar sized clubs and how they found themselves firstly relegated from the league and secondly how hard they have found it to come back.

1 Like

I do hope you are wrong with this P.T as it pains me to say after all of my life supporting this team of ours , if we do fall from the league that will definitely be the end of me as a supporter .

Again I quote you , we are struggling to compete at this level now, if we are relegated we would NEVER get back up with the way our club is run , and by the people who run it .

3 Likes

I agree. Many teams relegated to that level have had to have a complete overhaul. Existential re-imaginations of what they are as football clubs. Which is what we need.

My post was meant to be pointing to the fact that those clubs are a far more likely outcome for us than doing another Bury. We wonā€™t be another Bury because evidently we wonā€™t push the boat out an inch to sign a decent centre forward let alone go full Bury and drop the boat into the middle of the Atlantic.

2 Likes

It makes a lot of sense what you are saying. I do wonder how low we have to drop to find our level. RedandWhite said above he is finished as a fan if we go out of the league. Itā€™s quite understandable really. I donā€™t know him personally but from reading his posts he comes across as a passionate supporter. How many would we lose? I donā€™t know, maybe for the first season or two it may not be so bad but after 4-5 years more would start to drift away.

Assuming the same people are at the club we would still be being run as incompetently as we are now which would yield similar results whatever level we are at. This feels like a lot of doom and gloom 4 games into a season but it does feel that gravity is just pulling us that way.

2 Likes

Youā€™re right. It is just four games. We have three key players out injured. And Iā€™m positive some will see posts like mine as being doom and gloom really early in the season. But itā€™s not four games. You canā€™t wipe the slate completely clean every summer.

A year in non league might be fun if we bounced straight back. But very few do that. Itā€™s tough.

Iā€™d still go. Iā€™d still support them. But Iā€™m hard wired in an unconventional way. It makes no sense at all.

4 Likes

I bet Bonser is pissing himself laughing at us.

1 Like

I doubt it if we ever became a conference club I genuinely think pomlett would give moving from bescot serious consideration bonsor would then be Left with a football ground with no football club playing at it