Pomlett Out

Agreed. Not fit for purpose

Pomletts relationship with fans is beyond repair

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna defend Leigh, heā€™s a genuine bloke and he has the best interests of the club at heart.

The problem lies with those around him who have - Dean Smith aside - overseen nearly 2 decades of continuous decline. As @RobHarv3y says, it needs a whole new board. Much of Smithā€™s success was down to him personally, and his contacts throughout Midlands football.

Many of the current board donā€™t contribute anything, others are just hangers on who treat the job as a 9-to-5. I see it with my own eyes on match days.

Others have pointed out that we canā€™t keep changing managers, and also asked why players perform so poorly for us. Itā€™s true - but personally I put it down to the standard of our coaching setup - you can see that today.

Our players had absolutely no idea where they should be when defending, no ideas on how to attack, no ideas how to manage the game, thereā€™s no leader on the pitch, nobody vocal, we donā€™t move, we lump it forward but then jog forward without any purposeā€¦ and sitting quite close to Matt Taylor, he doesnā€™t seem to have much of an idea how to fix or even change any of this either.

A club that is as badly run as we are cannot afford the luxury of a manager trying to play tactics that the players just donā€™t understand or have the qualities to play. We need someone who will get the basics right and get the best out of the 36 year old we have at left back, and get the best out of the limited forward options we have.

Most disappointing of all is that here we are again, in another January and completely imploding again. Yet again we tacitly accept failure.

I fear this is the season weā€™ve pushed our luck just one too many times. It needs almost half a first team of new signings to arrest this slide, and I just canā€™t see 4 or 5 coming in, and those that do, will probably be more Shadeā€™s and Osei Yaws, players on the books of bigger clubs cashing in on the farce that is u23s, players who in reality will end up in non-league, just like we will.

17 Likes

Pomlett will have to do a lot to get the fans back but a great start to winning us back would be to no longer accept failure and completely revamp the board immediately.
He needs to surround himself with winners who wonā€™t accept what this board have been accepting

2 Likes

Iā€™d agree with that if Pomlett hadnā€™t sat alongside those same incumbents for nigh on a decade and then sat by for another 2 1/2 years allowing them to continue. Must had had his eyes and ears closed.

The reality is he is happy to keep that team around him, that is poor leadership and leads to poor governance of the football club. He is an enabler and facilitator of that and that in no way has the best interests of the club at heart.

9 Likes

Thatā€™s a fair comment - one thing is for sure, we will continue to decline until this board is replaced. Their stench needs to be aired out of the club, it really does.

14 Likes

This is the reason why we are where we are, Omlette is weak beyond words, this boardroom malaise has been allowed to continue for far too long. Anyone with an ounce of business acumen would have realised this immediately, perhaps he does but theyā€™re all mates and follow the Bonser mantra and he doesnā€™t want to upset them. The suits that oversee our club are totally inept and outdated, the only hope we have is that Omlette sells up to one of the many investors interested ( he has us believe) new blood wouldnā€™t waste time showing Gamble, Mole , Whalley and the rest of the clueless morons the exit aisle, we live in hope, but deep down I know that Omlette will sit on his hands, occasionally move them from his arse to his ears and pretend all is well at Bonser kingdom, weā€™re doomed lads and lasses.

6 Likes

I donā€™t agree with much of what you type, especially in the covid thread, but I never doubt your sincerity and your wish to have a successful WFC but I canā€™t begin to imagine what you mean in this postā€¦

I donā€™t know anyone who is a ā€˜Bonser apologistā€™.

He may well be a genuine bloke, but thousands of us would have the best interests of the club at heart. To me thatā€™s like praising a player cos they give 100% every time they play. Thousands of us would do that too but that wouldnt make us League 2 footballers.

Does Pomlett have the nous, finances, decision making ability etc to take us forward? Or at the absolute minimum, not take us any further backwards? At the moment Iā€™m seeing no evidence he has.

7 Likes

I feel the same. I want him to do well, same with MT, but if you dont change things, you will be tarred with the same brush, like it or not.

Board needs sacking and hacking (not literally)

For MT, 1 win in 13 is a disgrace, but what do you expectā€¦ in 5 years weve had 3 rookie managers, a knob head and a club legend all of them pants. All board appointments that have been a shambles.

11 Likes

We are staring down the barrel of non-league. Games will come thick and fast now, and our next 6 are not easy.

3 Likes

That boardroom is an ā€˜old boyā€™s clubā€™. Keep churning the same ā€˜well-runā€™ club boll***s!

The awful state of the stadium, the sub-standard youth set-up, the poor social media, the embarassing club shop and website, oh and the actual first team squadā€¦I could go on.

All those ā€˜vitalā€™ parts of a football club are NOT well-run.

A few ā€˜crapā€™ loans and unfit ā€˜free agentsā€™ are not going to paper-over-the-cracks.

11 Likes

Agree. His issues are that he is too much of a decent bloke and doesnā€™t like conflict. Heā€™s spent his time on the board under Bonser and with Bonserā€™s cronies, and heā€™s taken over from Bonser trying to do the same thing with a different personal touch.

Ainā€™t gonna work, and we can see that now. Hope he can too.

6 Likes

Simply those currently on the board of Walsall Fc and anyone that supports them.

2 Likes

If you look at the Board of Directors: Leigh Pomlett (Chairman), Richard Tisdale, Roy Whalley, Nigel Bond, Peter Gilman are all hangovers from the Bonser age. Pomlett is the youngest at 67. The oldest is 83. Roy Whalley sits in the average at 76. I would describe Whalley as Bonsers lieutenant. Picking up all the crap he didnā€™t want to do. Whittacker (the unappointed hand picked fan representative) was Gambles boss. Maybe Gamble recommended him to be the fan representative. Dan Mole enough said and well Fullarton. Trail of destruction wherever heā€™s been

Itā€™s no wonder we are in a mess

6 Likes

5 Likes

Great post.

Unless Pomlett has something up his sleeve in the last week of the transfer window then Iā€™m really disappointed in him.and his reign so far.
I was one of those defending him to a certain degree. after Covid and the struggles that he has encountered. However he has.come out and not accepted loans that were offered .Saying we will be in a better position than most of our rivals .He has received if is to believed well over 1m in deals for Rico , Adeybayo, and Jules and said we would have a right go which is untrue . So depressing.

1 Like

Absolute rubbish.

Heā€™s been on the inside of the ā€œBonser boardā€ for years. He knows where the bodies are buried in respect of the shady dealings of how Jeffrey Bonser has become a multi-milionaire at the expense of Walsall FC, and thatā€™s why he, and not any of the knocked back several potential new owners/board members are in place despite being financially potless in comparison to any of them. Tim you are very wide of the mark in many aspects of things Walsall FC these days, maybe your ā€œgeographical challengeā€ mitigates your ignorance, which is fine.

7 Likes

But so what if he knows where the bodies are buried? A fair few of us on this board know where theyā€™re buried and know that the implication of the Bonser era is that the club is in a financial straightjacket.

The only criticism I would have of Pomlett is that he stepped up to bail JB out, allowing JB to move on.

If it was me, in that position, Iā€™d have sat on my hands, let Bonser take the heat and hopefully force his hand on the lease issue.

By bailing him out, heā€™s just continued the status-quo on the vague promise that heā€™ll search for new investment. We could quite conceivably be 5-8 years in to Pomletts reign and in the same position structurally.

4 Likes