Pomlett - what has changed?

Only just mate !

1 Like

Not one thing has changed for the better… fact

1 Like

Has any of this been brought up at working party meetings and ideas put forward?

Yes, that needed doing, should have been first on the list. Clean break from the bad old ways of doing things.

One thing that irritates me, the half time entertainment is chronic. Just don’t bother at all if you aren’t going to at least try and do summat decent. What was going on yesterday? I think I heard Stafflers waffling on about pizzas but no idea what the context was. Then a bloke came on and hit the ball wide of the goal…and that was it. It used to be quite enjoyable a good while ago, now it is crud.

1 Like

Take it you haven’t been for a a while JT as this is the norm i’m afraid .
Half time entertainment is … err shit

Been having someone trying to kick the ball into the net without it bouncing first , which obviously that chap didn’t understood and kicked it along the ground :man_shrugging:

Seriously get a different CD to play at the games , change the announcer , change the half time entertainment , change everything and make it feel like something new is happening to our club

5 Likes

Beer available. Bars available and not closed.
If the bar behind the goal is closed then people should be allowed in the Bonser suite.
I pay £50 a year to go there, but when we first started to pay that only covered before and during the game. After the game it has always been open to all.
Toilets are still appalling
Etc etc etc

I am gobsmacked this did not happen. An extremely ill-advised move.

I was chatting to someone I haven’t seen in years on Saturday and he said just the sight of Mole’s face makes him want to commit GBH (it wasn’t phrased that way!). Whether you agree with the sentiment or not, you cannot have a character in an important role that makes paying customers feel like that. Both their positions are untenable and the damage is irreversible.

I think its been proved since Bonser’s departure that both of them are complicit in how utterly useless operations are at the club. They certainly play a crucial part in what I consider to be a stale model that is nowhere near fit for purpose. If either had any dignity whatsoever they would have stepped down.

2 Likes

Me too.
Gamble and mole are part of the problem and the culture within the club, that took the fans for granted, they make you feel as if your lucky and fortunate To be a fan.
LP needs to be more ruthless, I’m not sure he has it in him, but we need a major overhaul as a club from top to bottom.
It’s broke and does need fixing , and that includes bringing in, modern, fresh thinking, with ambitious people with ambitious plans.
We are stale, out of date football club with poor facilities, poor match day experience and a dwindling crowd and ageing fan base.

3 Likes

was talking to an ex player about the shambles surrounding our womens team last week his exact words where its a joke and dan mole is playing god again read into that what you will.

1 Like

What, and be unemployed,said it before many times, these pair of clowns have played a big part in the demise of our club, wake up Pomlett and ■■■■ this pair out of our club.

2 Likes

I agree. It appears the bar issues have been sorted.

Firstly, you can’t just sack Mole and Gamble, they’re employees and as such have rights like anyone else.

In terms of the financial structuring of the club - nothing has changed. We don’t hold much cash at the bank, we run from week to week, home game to home game, much like many other lower league clubs. We still rent the ground from a the same man, and our bottom lines won’t have changed. We still can’t say with any confidence which players will be in the squad in 12 months because our contract and transfer policy is short term. We still don’t have much, if any collateral to take a loan against, not that borrowing money should be the way forward mind you.

Due to these factors, any capital investment (like investing in an improved Bescot Bar, or investing in better facilities like contactless payments, improved ticketing systems etc) are difficult (we don’t carry much cash) and unattractive (material improvements to the ground not only have to be paid for by the club, they have to be maintained by the club, and could incur a rent rise).

I too was hoping for a fresh approach when Pomlett came in, but as soon as it was revealed that effectively nothing had changed, I predicted we wouldn’t see much change.

Our only hope is that we get a cash boost from somewhere - be it a decent cup run or selling a player for big bucks. When that happens, we might see a different approach to transfer negotiations, and a change in the way any cash is redistributed. For many years we have been fed the 50:50 line (that 50% of transfer income went to the infrastructure etc), but I’ve always skeptical about that, “infrastructure” was always a convenient black hole. That could change, Pomlett might decide to take more of a speculate to accumulate approach, however, the transfer and contract policy of recent years makes the likelihood of any big transfers pretty low.

I always said that Jeff drove us in to a cul-de-sac he couldn’t get us out of, which made getting new investment or selling the club very difficult, and makes any real changes to the club nearly impossible without a rich benefactor. We are stuck in this cycle of rent payments and worsening facilities until one of us wins the lottery.

I’m surprised to see so many say that the bars are still something Pomlett hasn’t bothered with. He has employed staff including a new bar manager who is overseeing bar areas on match days to see what is going wrong. He was in the stadium suite on Saturday, I’ve seen him in the Bescot bar before too. He’s looking at the problems, you have to look at the issues first hand before they get fixed, you can’t just click your fingers and they’ll magically be sorted.

1 Like

You could employ a cast of thousands, but you wouldn’t pour pints any quicker because the stadium isn’t set up with modern football fans in mind. The bars are akin to bars you might find in your local harvester or Toby carvery (any comparisons between Danny Guthrie and watching an old lump of meat slowly sweating away are strangely valid here).

Seriously tho, the bars nor the catering outlets arent set up to serve at volume, so staff numbers matter little.

They need redesigning, new equipment, contactless payments, more windows (think about it, the lower and the upper Alsop seats ~4000 give or take, and has 3 (or 4 catering) outlets. That’s just not enough, it’s a different galaxy I know but modern top level stadia are designed to have an outlet for every 2 or 300 people, compared to our 1000/1300. When you have those better facilities, you might find areas where increased staff numbers will help.

1 Like

Oh I know, I totally agree with that. I’ve said for ages that they are more for a venue not for a football club where hundreds of fans will pile into a bar area for 15 minutes and all expect to get served quickly. I’m hoping they’ve now started work on the Bescot bar which is why it’s closed.

At the risk of repeating myself , the queue’s in the Stadium suite have pretty much been sorted , certainly at the last 3 or 4 home games .
The kiosks still need to be updated though .

1. List item

On Saturday the Stadium Suite looked a bit fuller than it has for the last few games yet queues were nowhere near as long as they were even a short while back. To anyone that had to queue for more than a couple of minutes when it was at it’s busiest - you must have been at bar on the main stand side because nearly every time I glanced towards the one on family stand side it was queueless and the staff were having to wait for customers rather than the other way round!

2 Likes

So pay them off. If that eats into our transfer budget I’d be OK with that. We need to make the short-term sacrifice for the long term good. They have to go, it should be the number one priority.

Agree with the other points in your post btw.

Agree with most of that but I think Pomlett said in one of his interviews that the 50-50 split had gone and DC would be given all monies received from transfers.

But we got bugger all to transfer now :flushed:

1 Like