Port Vale (H) Feb 22nd, 3pm

‘Well done for bragging though that the worst team we’ve played this season won 1-0 on shots!’
- Tom Pope (December 2019)

Walsall entertain traditional foes Port Vale this weekend, with a bumper away crowd expected…

The Valiants

Vale are 6th in League Two and enjoying an excellent run of form. They currently sit seven places and 11 points ahead of the Saddlers, with a seasonal record of P34, W14, D12, L8, F46, A40, Pts54.

Unbeaten in five games, they have lost just twice in their last 10 matches, winning six. In recent fixtures they have put three goals past Exeter, Forest Green and Colchester. Vale’s away record is decent, winning 7 of 17 games on the road, though their only home defeat of the league campaign came against the Saddlers back in early December.

Tom Pope leads the Port Vale attacking charts with 10 goals and 2 assists, followed by Richie Bennett (6G, 3A), David Worral (5G, 10A), Mark Cullen (5G, 1A) and Jake Taylor (5G, 1A).

Recent League Form

Jan 28 Exeter (H) Won 3-1
Feb 01 Salford (H) Drew 1-1
Feb 08 Northampton (A) Won 0-1
Feb 11 Forest Green (A) Won 3-2
Feb 15 Colchester (H) Won 3-0

Previous Meeting

Vale last visited Bescot for a Mickey Mouse Cup game back on 13th November 2018. Scott Quigley opened the scoring for the visitors after just four minutes before Connor Johnson equalised shortly before the break. Johnson’s joy was short-lived; the youngster was sent off five minutes after half time and Danny Pugh’s 65th minute goal gave Vale a 2-1 win.

Played For Both

Zak Jules spent a brief loan spell at Vale Park in 2018, and would seem to be the only current link.

Club legend Colin Askey played 200 games for Vale between 1949 and 1958, scoring 21 goals from the right-wing position. He then joined Bill Moore’s Walsall, making 83 appearances for the Saddlers and winning the 1959-60 Fourth Division title before joining Mansfield in 1962.

His son, John Askey, is the current Vale Manager.

Kris Taylor, Hector Sam, Ryan McGivern, Flo Cuvelier, Ben Purkiss, Theo Vassell and Joe Slinn have all represented both sides in recentish times.

A special mention for Trinidadian midfielder Tony Rougier, who spent the 1999-2000 campaign at Vale. His horrific challenge on Gino Padula during a late season crunch match at Vale Park was one of the worst seen on a Walsall player and saw the Argentinian miss much of the relegation run-in.

Rougier would come good however, and went on to score a vital extra-time equaliser for the Saddlers in the following season’s Second Division Play-Off Final against Reading.

Prediction

In a home derby game which promises to have a decent atmosphere, against a team who have far more to play for than ourselves, it would be nice for DC to choose a Walsall side based on playing to our strengths and winning the game rather than neutralising the opposition.

Play as we did in the first half against Northampton, and Vale will take the game beyond us. Play as we did in the second half and we can beat them.

I’ll go for a 1-1 draw. Vale ahead before the break before a late Adebayo goal sends the Staffordshire hordes home disappointed. Tom Pope to publish a goading Tweet at half time and hurriedly delete it at the final whistle.

Match Poll

• Walsall Win
  • Draw
  • Vale Win

0 voters

2 Likes

I will go for a 2-2 as I think PV are decent away from home and we are indecent at home!

I am going for a 1-0 win with us having one shot on goal with 20% possession :grin:

2 Likes

It’s a Desmond for me with a pen for Gordon and Wes to net too

2-2

@Simon Might be worth an edit of the above. I think Rougier played for Reading.

I was at both games and remember the Padula challenge bitterly. If memory serves, Walsall’s goal came from a lad called Graham Fenton who was on loan from Leicester, I think. He started out at the Villa and was a decent forward back in the day.

They’ve got John Askey, we’ve got Arthur Askey (only joking :smile:).

Clarke will need to have a cunning plan if we are to get anything out of this. I know, how about playing your best team?

1-1 the best I can see.

Whoooosh!
He did score the extra time equaliser for the saddlers though, which is wy Simon says he came good!

2 Likes

Your just being silly now. Back to the alcohol threads with you! :crazy_face:

1 Like

:see_no_evil: I see what you mean, fellas - apologies. @saddla @simon

I can normally remember most games with a great amount of detail but I must confess that the Play-off final was something of a blur! I will remember Byfield’s goal until the day I die but will no doubt exaggerate the distance he struck the ball from, with every passing decade! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A few others who played for both - Alan Boswell, Kenny Beech, Geoff Morris, Tony Richards, John Woodward, Bernie Wright, Roy Cross, Nicky Cross, Albert Mullard, Ally Brown, Ian Brightwell, Ade Littlejohn. There’s probably loads of others. Could make a decent line up from those, I think we’d have to attack though. :smiley:

A silly season request, he will most likely go for a 10-0-0 formation, (though of course that will be dependant on what names he draws out of the hat) and then complain we couldn’t get going at all!
Still going for the 1-0 win, with BBC stats showing 20%/80% possession, shots on goal 1/29. Chunkster to win another few hundred betting on a Walsall win at 66/1(again)!

2 Likes

Can’t really make a prediction till I see the starting line up.I’m sitting here listening to the wind picking up outside and I’m hoping DC doesn’t pick a line up to cope with conditions again :tired_face:

2 Likes

Didn’t congratulate you for this at the time chunk so here it is well done mucka :+1:t2:

1 Like

It’s even worse when you are in the conservatory :joy:

I don’t think i will be that lucky again this season. nor us :wink:

I bet it is mate I’m actually getting sick of these storms coming in from the Atlantic one after the other I need a guaranteed blue sky each morning and an afternoon of refreshing beverages,there’s a couple I’m gonna try one day(beers)after seeing you lot on here suggesting them yam a load of alcoholics!

3 Likes

I don’t mind the storms to be honest, we have a lovely garden that gets sunlight all day, but a few doors down they have a 30ft silver birch :face_with_raised_eyebrow: and it blocks the sun at around 7.30 in the summer, so i pray that the wind will blow it over :rofl: but knowing my luck it would blow it on our conservatory :joy:

3 Likes

North facing garden and enormous ash a few doors away that means no sun after 5.30 for the 37 years we have lived here!
Never mind 2 nil win tomorrow.

2 Likes

I have googled “how to kill a tree” but there is no sure way, unless the trick with the copper nails work? :wink:

I’ve heard head butting works .

1 Like