Pre Season Friendlies 2024

No, this probably was

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0806/235875-drogheda_dynamokiev/#:~:text=Battling%20Drogheda%20United%20bowed%20out,Olexsandr%20Aliev%20found%20the%20net.

Tbh cant see it much of a draw at 18 pound. Friendlies are usually cheaper than league matches

1 Like

Wwve played loads of much bigger english clubs in friendlies - including spurs in the uefa cup!

5 Likes

I’m not all that clued up about Irish football but I assumed a friendly v a 4th Division English club wasn’t that big of a deal.

The DJT Derby.

1 Like

Youd be correct.

But the trivela link will generate a little interest

2 Likes

Fun fact. Drogheda have played more competitive games against Tottenham Hotspur than Walsall have played competitive games against Tottenham Hotspur.

5 Likes

I do think think the price for a friendly against you will be an issue locally. Probably won’t make much difference for you if travelling anyway.

Putting the positive hat on, the away she’d created a great atmosphere. I’m sure those that come, will have a great time.

Anyone that has any questions on Dublin, drogheda, etc post up and I’ll answer :+1:

Our American overlords have probably overestimated Walsall’s international appeal :sweat_smile:

If this is to be a thing for the teams in the Trivela stable, I hope their next purchase is in somewhere like Sicily :grin:

1 Like

What might come as a shock is the price of Guinness/beer etc. I know Dublin prices are about 8 quid a pint. Not sure if this is the same across the country. Cheaper in the locker :grinning:

Thinking of doing the same, catching the train from Dublin. The ground looks to be about 1.5 miles from the station, across the river, around a 35 minute walk there and back meaning there will only be two possible trains back to the city at 21:41 and 22:05. Not ideal.

[Edited - just noticed it’s a 7pm ko so can get one of the two last trains of the night]

Can get train up for cans - then get bus back afterwards.

Alternatively, if enough of you, you could book your own minibus/ bus to and from Dublin. With schools off, shouldn’t be an issue getting one

Much cheaper in drogheda

You pass a few decent pubs on walk up from train station too

Much cheaper if you know where to go :wink:

1 Like

Aye, ferry over from N. Wales, meeting a mate who’s flying over, then train up to Drogheda and back.

Would have stayed in Drogheda but pubs all seem to shut at 11:30.

Only copped the 7pm ko, you’ll have time to get cans and last train to Dublin no bother!!

2 Likes

Gonna get a ticket and book a flight tomorrow.
Just undecided whether to stay in Drogheda or Dublin :thinking:

The official site says there will be ‘fan events’ during the tour but it’s unclear where these will be.

Whiskey tasting with Weir? Mashing spuds with McEntee?

3 Likes

Ferry prices are crazy expensive for the 4 of us to go
Mental I ain’t lying that for a preseason friendly
Any cheaper ways to go other than swimming?