Prediction League 2: 2022-23 Intro & Table

OMG JJ , boy are you letting yourself in for a whole lot more work :joy:

1 Like

That would be bostin. Why not every week :smile:

Hadnā€™t thought of that! Iā€™ll have to put it to the review panel!!

How about last game of the season when all games are played at the same time.

It will keep everyone in with a chance of winning the league if they have a bumper last week.

Only way Saigon could win it this year!

No. :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Absolutely not. Bad enough this season with the half time split overcomplicating a simple game!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s potentially not a bad idea, as long as the final table is a simple reflection of points everyone has gained and the ā€˜2nd divisionā€™ is a kind of mini-game. Having said that, I have absolutely no idea how it will be executed.

I would council against fiddling with what is clearly a successful model though, as its simplicity has always been its strength.

There are plenty of international competitions to experiment with novel ideas?

1 Like

For this season Iā€™d keep it how it is, it works well.

Iā€™m not a fan of changing things mid season. I play for a club in the South Staffs Cricket League and the first 5-6 games are win/lose, the middle of the season games are win/lose/draw then the last 5-6 games are win/lose again, annoys me a great deal especially if youā€™ve got the tougher teams early or late in the season.

Maybe next season do a Bumper Boxing Day or the round of games before the division split.

I would agree,

Maybe have a separate thread for ideas that JJ as organiser can consider and follow or reject and then if heā€™s happy, do it next season but leave this season as is.

JJ should have the last word as he runs it and very well too.

:grinning:

Hear, hearā€¦

Apologies, I didnā€™t mean to disgust and offend you so much!:astonished::joy:

1 Like

Donā€™t want to upset the customers though and it appears I have with a few!!:yum:

1 Like

It seems I have opened a can of worms with a couple of ideas and donā€™t want it to descend into a lengthly debate unnecessarily. Iā€™ll try and explain my reasons / thinking for a couple of idea tweaks, that people may not be aware of.

Each season, the prediction league starts very well, loads of predictors etc. Then, over the weeks, a few people drop out (a few have already this season and gave up after a single or couple of predictions). Then over the course of the season, a larger number consistently give up, either due to dwindling interest or maybe because they are lower half of the table and see they wonā€™t win it / finish high up so just ā€˜give upā€™. So we probably lose around 1/6 to 1/5 of players in a season Iā€™d say.

It had been discussed about how to keep people interested and playing over the course of the season, which brings more interaction, activity / footfall to the site etc. So, ideas such as the two division thing, promotion and relegation, bonus weeks have been mentioned between 1 or 2 people to help with this, as well as keep it fresh, especially for new UTSers.
I understand the simplicity of the ā€˜competitionā€™ is part of itā€™s beauty and why a number of people like it; maybe thereā€™s a historical / tradition side to that thinking.
I guess I was just gauging if we could keep improving / evolving it, ā€˜move with the timesā€™ so to speak, but if that is not what is needed or wanted (and the clear responses above would indicate that!) then we wonā€™t. If the product isnā€™t broke, we wonā€™t fix or replace it, even if there is a potentially better product out there!

So, over the next couple of months, Iā€™ll review whether the mid-season league split, as mentioned in the first intro post, is worth it, needed etc and then whether to do it or not. Iā€™m happy to keep things as they are if that is what people want! :+1:

UTS!

2 Likes

Iā€™m one of those that ends up forgetting to do a few, then once I forget a few I think ah itā€™s pointless now. I do the same with fantasy league, havenā€™t even bothered this season.

Hoping I can remember this season, already forgot once but Iā€™m sure I wonā€™t be the only one.

Like the idea of the two divisions with promotion and relegation. Only issue though is youā€™re then relying on everyone joining in again next season.

Yeah, that is the main thing that holds me back from the promotion and relegation thing, as it could be awkward if a number of people didnā€™t return for the following season. Although, to be honest, I think we have quite a stable take up each season, probably 80ish% of people play the following year, Iā€™d say.

If there were more points at stake then it would likely keep more people interested. Currently it is unlikely that anyone on the right hand side of the table at the end of December is going to be in the shake up come May, as the front runners can just play the straight bat banker homes from then on. Either awarding more points for taking more risk (away wins / higher scoring games etc) or having more games to predict, 6 for example, rather than 3 would open the league up and make for a less predictable finish.
It would appear that the ones defending the status quo are the ones that have done well from the current format in the past (me excepted of course :joy:)

Updated table after todayā€™s games. Solid and steady scoring for most (choosing Sutton over Salford was a winner for many!). There were some 4 pointers but the winning score was 5 points, achieved by Old Penk Saddler - well done on your 3 weekly win already!

A number of people didnā€™t predict today, so hopefully theyā€™ll return next week for week 10 - thread should be up now.

3 Likes

Updated table after yesterdayā€™s games. A mixed bag of scoring and the Saddlers werenā€™t the only ones to concede very late as Crewe conceded 2 in the final few minutes to lose from a winning position!

But, we had a first for this season yesterday (no, not a matchday where the club donā€™t run out of food or burn it out of recognition) but our first full marks, 6 pointer of the season! That was obviously the winning score, so a massive well done to addo!!:clap::clap::clinking_glasses:

Can anyone match that season? We tend to only get 1 or 2 full mark week a season so letā€™s see who can match it!

There is the p-p game between Grimsby and Carlisle on Tues so any points for that will be added on to next weekendā€™s table. That thread will be up and running shortly.

3 Likes

Maybe we could start a new thread entitled Has @cookyskid 's decline ā€˜bottomed outā€™ :frowning_face:

3 Likes

It has now that youā€™ve gone above meā€¦

1 Like