Radio WM whats the point {Radio dinges)

Is it a lawnmower, Tone?

2 Likes

Living in Burntwood, while I can get the FM version of WM, DAB is dodgy at best, the WM Black Country version, on DAB, is out of the question. Listening online or via smart speaker is a ‘no-no’ too…all you get is the, ‘We can’t bring you this programme for contractual reasons’. Thanks BBC! Mind you, given the comments, it might not be a bad thing.

PS: I can get Radio Derby and Radio Leicester, FM and DAB, loud and clear.

If you’re name is Eddy,you get a hotline into the studio.

1 Like

I think the majority of our local commentators do a decent job of informing the public. Tom Marlow does a good job handling the Walsall games as does Rego for the Villla and Taylor for Wolves.
Rob Guerney calls the Albion games very professionally.

The guys that work for WM are local, have a vast knowledge of sport in our area, especially football, and most of them provide commentary on multiple sports such as cricket, speedway etc.
I have listened to other broadcasts from around the country, some are nowhere near the standard our commentators have attained.
We’re fortunate to have theses guys around here, long may it continue.

2 Likes

Agree with you re commentators from around the Country. Some of them are woeful. Listened to a game in Greater Manchester. It was between 2 teams that they actually cover. They supported one team and described the others as- Rochdale player. I could have done a better job.
Even though we are in L2 keeping up to date with Walsall FC is so easy. Nobody should be complaining.

2 Likes

Well actually, we should be complaining.
I agree some of the standard around the country is woeful.
But that doesn’t excuse that WM Sport appears to be at the behest of one man’s ego.
We have some excellent commentators in this region but they are surely stifled.
Even Mark Regan is absolutely fine on his own, as David says, but he soon gets led astray.

1 Like

Personally, I think they are a bunch of ■■■■■.

2 Likes

Unless your Vile/Scum or an Albion fan you have no chance of getting a decent say or hearing anything decent about your club.

Hows they always put us too the bottom and very rarely mention us is a joke tbh.

Midlands Radio not just who they choose

Thought this thread was bumped as they didn’t actually cover the game last night on the normal FM frequency, was relegated to the DAB version. Pretty poor imo as they’re usually good with the midweek games, listened to many over the years.

1 Like

Yes, that just shows where the BBC’s priorities lie.
You should have heard what passed for entertainment on FM instead.

1 Like

I must say when some of the Walsall fans call in I actually physically cringe …

3 Likes

“weem alright franksay, weve got a bostin point at um too them maccesfield, yo cor beat a dey darn good old wasull can ya ay bostin it is are franksayyy”

2 Likes

I stopped listening to WM years ago…you get same people phoning in every night.

1 Like

Is it me or do the E & S take it as a fucking joke doing the Walsall reports , Liam Keen and Nathan Judah seem more interested talking about the late night and drinking that he’s been doing .

Strikes me WM and E&S don’t really give a shit about us .

3 Likes

Yeah both strike me as a bunch of ■■■■■ who don’t really give a toss and would rather be somewhere else … would rather have an actual supporter doing the analysis.

2 Likes

That seems to happen on all the radio stations. Even more so on a Rugby League one that i sometimes listen to.

I think people do get too wound up over WM sometimes ,but I can agree on being baffled how Franksy has wormed his way up to senior roles in the BBC, an annoying self obsessed ogre. He even looks like a troll, a face for radio and all that.

If no one else is playing the coverage is decent as long as Franksy isn’t on. There’s been some decent ish coverage of us recently, mainly because the the midlands clubs are very popular with TV though.

As for the Express and Star, I’d imagine it’s extremely difficult to find enough things to write about, with Darrell Clarke being a mardy arse and the fact not a lot happens. Surprised they still bother

1 Like

I would imagine the listening figures for WM and other local stations are way down on, say, 20 years ago, or 40 years ago. So the pool of potential callers is far lower.

When it started, as Radio Birmingham, back in 1971 or 1972, iirc, we had the listening choice of that or Radios 1,2,3,4, and BRMB came along a year or two later. Plus there was Luxembourg in the evenings. Now there’s about a zillion radio stations (most of which sound exactly the same) and that’s before you start surfing the computer.

Local radio was great for a long time, but it isn’t needed now, put the money somewhere else, as I said up the thread, Radio 4 and the World Service.

Incidentally, for those too young to remember life before Franksy, Radio B’rum/WM had some really talented sports broadcasters - Roger Moody, Nick Owen, Jim Rosenthal, they were the main anchors at different times. It hasn’t always been this bad. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I see what you mean @latviancheese…:smile:

1 Like

Here’s a question and I normally put it down to this. How many actually call up as Walsall supporters to give their views on the match they’ve been too? Is it this reason that we don’t get any coverage?

Is it because no one calls up or do they have callers, but choose to feature the other teams?

Another thing! Why put those callers on who have been listening to the WM coverage from their arm chair??